Vurnon Anita (now playing for RKC Waalwijk)

ponsaelius

Like we can only do one thing at once, it's an extra midfielder for strength in depth, not sure why you think it's one or the other

I'm not saying it's one or the other. I have gone on record saying I don't think we work to a transfer budget, but we try to get good deals when we see them even if this means our squad is unbalanced. This is my concern currently...

Do you really believe that the Anita signing is an opportunistic bargain?

That strikes me as frankly ridiculous if I'm honest.

Not that ridiculous like. He just turned down a new deal so he's kind of become 'available' now.

Obviously its not that simple and we've had an eye on him for some time like all our targets. We have a list of players and when someone's situation changes in a way that allows us to make a good value for money signing, we strike.

Like we can only do one thing at once, it's an extra midfielder for strength in depth, not sure why you think it's one or the other

I'm not saying it's one or the other. I have gone on record saying I don't think we work to a transfer budget, but we try to get good deals when we see them even if this means our squad is unbalanced. This is my concern currently...

Do you really believe that the Anita signing is an opportunistic bargain?

That strikes me as frankly ridiculous if I'm honest.

Not that ridiculous like. He just turned down a new deal so he's kind of become 'available' now.

Obviously its not that simple and we've had an eye on him for some time like all our targets. We have a list of players and when someone's situation changes in a way that allows us to make a good value for money signing, we strike.

And that's fair enough, but there is no way that we sanction knee jerk bargains at the expense of the squad and positions that are more pressing.

I'd even question whether €8.5m plus future bonuses is that much of of a bargain in the first place. We want him for a reason, he will play.

Guest Ilsteir

As great as this signing is, does it not show football's seriously gone wrong when a player sees turning down a big contract at Ajax, to join us as a step up?

Ajax is able to remain a top team in their own league because they pay the highest wages an have the best gate receipts and commercial deals. At the end of the day football is all about the money. The only difference is that since Bosman and the rise of TV-contracts, the size of the pond has become more important that the size of the fish.

An extra quality player is always welcome but I can't help but wonder where he fits in. Gutierrez, Tiote and Cabaye are all key players in my eyes, and I'd be disappointed to see Gutierrez make way and spend most of his time on the bench.

I also thought Bigirimana was brought in as an understudy to Tiote and he looks a prospect. We can't afford Debuchy in a position we need yet this seems like a luxury signing for the same amount of money.

An extra quality player is always welcome but I can't help but wonder where he fits in. Gutierrez, Tiote and Cabaye are all key players in my eyes, and I'd be disappointed to see Gutierrez make way and spend most of his time on the bench.

I also thought Bigirimana was brought in as an understudy to Tiote and he looks a prospect. We can't afford Debuchy in a position we need yet this seems like a luxury signing for the same amount of money.

Thought we had already established that Bigi isn't the new Tiote, might look him but doesn't naturally play that role.

Now, that's not to say he can't be molded into the same role, or doesn't have attributes that would allow him to perform that role.

Just sayin :undecided:

The Journal

ALAN Pardew was last night hopeful of finalising his first significant pre-season signing after Ajax admitted Vurnon Anita is set for a move to Newcastle.

Free LOVEFiLM Trial The 23-year-old, who can play in midfield or at left-back, is expected to agree personal terms after both clubs agreed a fee of £6million.

Despite getting some success at long last in terms of signings, Newcastle manager Pardew took a swipe at football’s greed, which he blamed for his lack of activity in the transfer market.

However, after losing out on Luuk de Jong and with the much-anticipated Mathieu Debuchy deal still to be done, the Magpies boss will have at least one new face in his squad before the Tottenham game this Saturday. Anita, named alongside Magpies goalkeeper Tim Krul in the Holland squad to face Belgium on Wednesday, made what is likely to be his last appearance for the Eredivisie champions in yesterday’s 2-2 draw with AZ Alkmaar at the Amsterdam Arena.

Ajax manager Frank de Boer admitted: “Anita is close to an agreement with Newcastle.”

And that is as good as saying the transfer is signed, sealed and delivered. This is a timely boost for Pardew who is far from alone at feeling frustrated at not being able to finalise deals because a target’s valuation has astronomically soared once it has become known a big club wanted to buy him – de Jong being the prime example of that.

It has, in fact, been a relatively quiet summer transfer window so far for most clubs, big and small, although Pardew expects there to be a flurry of activity this week across the football world.

Asked why he thought the market had been so slow to get moving, Pardew said: “It’s valuation. Not just by the players themselves, but by the clubs and the agents.

“This is the big problem we have as managers and also chairman in the Premier League.

“The valuation agents are putting on their player is far, far too much. They need to understand that times have changed.”

With four players carrying knocks – Papiss Cisse, Demba Ba, Cheick Tiote and Fabricio Coloccini – the manager could do with some reinforcements. Pardew said: “Am I hopeful something can be done? I think it is touch and go, really.

“There are one or two things that might happen. Obviously, that’s not my department. I have targeted the players and we hope they arrive, but if they don’t then I do believe we still have a very strong side that will go in against Tottenham. You ask any Premier League manager, outside of Chelsea probably, and they will say the same thing. Even Manchester United haven’t done much business.

“Nobody else has really. I think everyone is biding their time before pitching in. However, I do think the ball will roll this week and there will be players joining Premier League teams for sure.”

That's interesting. There was a report in the paper over the weekend about which clubs had bought which players, and the lack of movement in the market was striking. The only ones who had pushed the boat out were Chelsea, QPR and Liverpool, who have been prone to over-spending anyway.

I wonder if FFP has become a reality in most clubs' minds, and they're having a rethink on transfer fees and wages. In that environment, it's important that you don't have clubs breaking ranks and upsetting the market by continuing to over-spend.

There was a report a few days ago about Premiership clubs considering their own FFP regulations. It could be to make sure that they're all playing by the same rules, because it would only take one or two clubs to mess things up for everyone.

He's a professional footballer. I appreciate it takes time to adapt from league to league, but get him in the fucking team if Tiote's out, for goodness sake. Mental to think we'd sign a player to be cover/an alternative to Tiote... then not play him when Tiote is unavailable.

Which i reckon Pards probably will, tbh.

Get him in the fucking team if Tiote's out, for goodness sake. Mental to think we'd sign a player to be cover/an alternative to Tiote... then not play him when Tiote is unavailable.

It's hardly mental when he hasn't even signed yet and will be barely off the plane when the game kicks off.

He's a professional footballer. I appreciate it takes time to adapt from league to league, but get him in the fucking team if Tiote's out, for goodness sake. Mental to think we'd sign a player to be cover/an alternative to Tiote... then not play him when Tiote is unavailable.

He might be match fit, but to come in straight out of the blue and into an important role, hardly knowing anybody, it's a big ask, can't see it myself.

Aye i see your point; it's a critical position and Pards likes to integrate signings into the 'team ethos', or whatever, before relying on them. I'd still like to see him in the side if Tiote's out.

A tweet from someone called The Football Man

Big clubs should just bid for Vurnon Anita now and save themselves £10-15m in a year or 2 when he inevitably becomes good.

I love it that other football fans think this about us now