The other games today - 2012/13

Neil

The whistle had long blown by the way, Williams excuse was that he was clearing the ball "in frustration" rather than clearing it out of necessity.

The whistle actually blew just after or at the time Williams made contact with the ball

Really? Fair enough, I heard someone say otherwise.

On a vaguely related note, I'm sure it's not just me - the standard of officiating this season has been fucking dreadful. Yet another one for us with the Osman disallowed goal, and you're seeing it in so many games across the board nowadays. Getting sick of it now, you can accept you'll get some bad decisions but the only consistency that seems to exist currently is the consistency of wrong decisions. Of course, in this game West Ham also had a decision go against them that was more than 100% wrong despite that not even being possible. And then of course, the referee had to send Gibson off later on. Consistently wrong, I guess.

Not saying officiating decisions solely decide games but they seem to be playing an ever-increasing role in influencing the outcomes of games. And that's one big problem when the decisions are so bad, as they have been this season. IMO, anyway.

There isn't a sport on the planet that has a decent standard of officiating.