Adam Campbell released

gbandit

"I was handed the No 49 jersey by kitman Ray Thompson at the Cardiff City Stadium.

“I didn’t request it, I was given it.

“I was in the dressing room and not sure what to expect, but Thommo said ‘No 49 is yours’.

“(The number) doesn’t matter to me.

One week on from earning praise from Alan Pardew after his senior debut in the friendly at Cardiff, Adam Campbell caught the eye of the manager once again with a first-half hat-trick in the Reserves' win over Tottenham.

Wearing the number nine shirt, the 17-year-old netted a header and two smart finishes to help Willie Donachie and Peter Beardsley's second-string to a 6-4 victory - and Pardew was positioned behind the goal for all three of Campbell's strikes.

The Magpies manager will certainly have been impressed by the pace and intelligence of the teenager, who has been registered for Newcastle's Europa League squad, and Campbell admitted that his treble was made all the more special by Pardew's presence.

"It's just an added bonus really," he told nufc.co.uk. "A hat-trick is great whenever you get it, but when the manager's watching it's even better.

"Pre-season's all been building up to the first game of the season, whether it was the under-18s, Reserves or first-team, and we played well.

"We created a lot of chances and ended up winning against a good team."

Haris Vuckic, Curtis Good and Bradden Inman were also on target as United led 6-1 at one stage before almost being pegged back late on, and it was a strong second-string side with the likes of Gael Bigirimana, James Tavernier and Mehdi Abeid all involved.

And Campbell, who played most of his football for Dave Watson's title-winning under-18s side last term, is aiming to establish himself alongside alongside those players this season.

"It's ridiculous how good people like Mehdi, Bigi, Haris, Brad and Conor (Newton) are," he said. "All the Reserve team are absolutely brilliant players and when you're getting service like that, it's pretty hard to miss to be honest with you.

"Last season I don't think I started a single Reserve game - maybe one or two at the most - then when I came on against Cardiff, everyone on Twitter was like 'he's going to be a first-teamer' and all that!

"I like it when people talk like that, but for me it's all about getting in the Reserve team and getting a few goals, like I did on Saturday."

Good stuff  :)

It's his all round game that has impressed me, loads of lads score for fun in youth and reserve level and never make it but he looks like he has it all.

Yeh, he has a good eye for the through ball and puts it in with perfect weight on the pass.

Still lives with his parents, no tattoos, isn't all over Facebook pissed/acting the c*nt, proper haircut... so far so good. :thup:

And he is ginger. Top kid.

Aye, battled against the odds too. Everyone has their cross to bear.

That's four articles about Campbell in four days from Ryder. When he finally breaks through for real he'll love himself to bits.

"Was impressed with Campbell earlier in the year. Always believed in him."

"Called Campbells talent back in March 2011. Excellent prospect back then"

Basically setting himself up for taking credit for Campbell's forthcoming success here.