Alan Pardew

Dave

He doesn't get everyone behind the ball, no. He generally takes off the entire central midfield and has the players run around a bit. I'm not sure what he does when we're behind can be described as a tactic, so in that sense what he does when we're winning is at least a plan, even if it's a pathetic, cowardly, stupid one.

I wish he knew how to set us up to soak up pressure and counter attack. Other than Ben Arfa's goal against Bolton where he singlehandedly beat their whole team, when was the last time we've scored on a counter?

Guest bimpy474

He doesn't get everyone behind the ball, no. He generally takes off the entire central midfield and has the players run around a bit. I'm not sure what he does when we're behind can be described as a tactic, so in that sense what he does when we're winning is at least a plan, even if it's a pathetic, cowardly, stupid one.

I wish he knew how to set us up to soak up pressure and counter attack. Other than Ben Arfa's goal against Bolton where he singlehandedly beat their whole team, when was the last time we've scored on a counter?

West Brom away ?

Absolutely Dave and if it's seemingly fairly easy to make tactical changes that have such a huge impact on the game that (apparently) opposition teams can do little about... Why have we been waiting eighteen months for Pardew's NUFC to win from behind?

Lambert won the tactical changes hands down....he still didn't win from behind either.

And we survived by the skin of our teeth. What's the point you're trying to make?

Sometimes you deserve to come from behind and win, but you don't. We've lost from a leading position an awful lot recently.  4 times in 11 games. Which has been infuriating. Obviously we're nervous about it.  Not sure the last time it happened before Stoke though.

Guest bimpy474

When he made his second change tonight I thought he was trying to sneak a midfielder on in place of a forward in the hope that we hadn't noticed he'd taken a midfielder off for a forward.

None of the subs made any sense to me, as none of them involved taking off the worst player on the pitch. How Jonas stayed on is one of lifes little mysteries.

Pardew's talk about control the midfield and you control the game. Well you don't do that by handing the opposition the midfield on a plate as soon as see you are under pressure.

He talks a fantastic game, which is why i suspect the player like him, but f*** me on the pitch it's a different matter. As soon as a change is needed, his limited ability comes to the fore. His changes are clueless and more to the point our supporters are seeing it too. The bloke worries the f*** out of me, we have a great squad but General Custard in charge of them.

i see the players in similar terms, they can do fantastic things, look great for spells, but they collapse when there's pressure, i'm not sure who to blame.

That's down to the run we are on. Players got incredibly nervous once they scored, which is why i'm not really surprised by what happened after it. It's ok saying we should see games out better, but composure and calmness become difficult skills when your on a shocking run, even more so in such a massive game.

Im just thankful we got the points and showed some f***ing balls in the second half, a massive positive.

West Brom away ?

My memory is a bit foggy on that one. Its just infuriating how slow we are when transitioning from defence to attack, which is a point a few of us have made before.

None of the subs made any sense to me, as none of them involved taking off the worst player on the pitch. How Jonas stayed on is one of lifes little mysteries.

Taylor would have been my first change, a poor winger is less of a problem than a poor central defender.

Guest bimpy474

Pardew's talk about control the midfield and you control the game. Well you don't do that by handing the opposition the midfield on a plate as soon as see you are under pressure.

He talks a fantastic game, which is why i suspect the player like him, but f*** me on the pitch it's a different matter. As soon as a change is needed, his limited ability comes to the fore. His changes are clueless and more to the point our supporters are seeing it too. The bloke worries the f*** out of me, we have a great squad but General Custard in charge of them.

i see the players in similar terms, they can do fantastic things, look great for spells, but they collapse when there's pressure, i'm not sure who to blame.

That's down to the run we are on. Players got incredibly nervous once they scored, which is why i'm not really surprised by what happened after it. It's ok saying we should see games out better, but composure and calmness become difficult skills when your on a shocking run, even more so in such a massive game.

Setting my hatred for Pardew (long ball hater me) aside, i hope this is correct. Confidence is quite a thing in football.

Absolutely Dave and if it's seemingly fairly easy to make tactical changes that have such a huge impact on the game that (apparently) opposition teams can do little about... Why have we been waiting eighteen months for Pardew's NUFC to win from behind?

Lambert won the tactical changes hands down....he still didn't win from behind either.

And we survived by the skin of our teeth. What's the point you're trying to make?

Sometimes you deserve to come from behind and win, but you don't. We've lost from a leading position an awful lot recently.  4 times in 11 games. Which has been infuriating. Obviously we're nervous about it.  Not sure the last time it happened before Stoke though.

Maybe we've deserved it on occasion last season, but I can't think of any this season :(

Hard to put it all down to luck when it has never happened in Pardew's entire spell here, however.

Guest bimpy474

Taylor would have been my first change, a poor winger is less of a problem than a poor central defender.

Didn't think he was that bad myself, my point was several times Jonas got the ball. or should i say lost, miscontrolled the ball when a better player may have had us on the counter attack.

Saylor shouldn't have started in the first place imo, Mapoop should.

Didn't think he was that bad myself, my point was several times Jonas got the ball. or should i say lost, miscontrolled the ball when a better player may have had us on the counter attack.

Mapoop :lol:

I will give credit and also slag off with what I think I saw, but aside from his changes Pardew didn't really infuriate me like he has in other games. Villa we're simply desperate to get something, a lot of sides would have got the same treatment imo.

I really thought if we had kept them out for a bit we would have had more in that game, I was confident half time.

I only remember seeing Taylor involved in anything twice, the first was a clearance that could have went to anybody but luckily dropped into space in our box, the other time we has talking to the ref and laughing about something.

Coloccini was having to cover acres.

Maybe we've deserved it on occasion last season, but I can't think of any this season :(

Hard to put it all down to luck when it has never happened in Pardew's entire spell here, however.

Pardews success was built on tight margins though. Must have been one of the lowest scoring 5th place finishers. 

He's shown his team doesn't necessarily go to pot though, taking the lead 3 times against Man U and pegging back arsenal as many times.

Admittedly before losing in both instances :D

Guest bimpy474

I only remember seeing Taylor involved in anything twice, the first was a clearance that could have went to anybody but luckily dropped into space in our box, the other time we has talking to the ref and laughing about something.

Coloccini was having to cover acres.

Like i said i wouldn't have started him, but he didn't give me the jitters like Williamson does.

My spidey senses are telling me you aren't exactly a fan.

Like i said i wouldn't have started him, but he didn't give me the jitters like Williamson does.

I like Taylor most of the time, I still wouldn't play him when he's clearly not up to it because of his lack of fitness and we have fit and probably better options.

I like Taylor most of the time, I still wouldn't play him when he's clearly not up to it because of his lack of fitness and we have fit and probably better options.

i did say today i'd only play taylor if he was fit, also i thought colo was wanting tonight aswell though. it was a collective failure rather than an individual one.

i did say today i'd only play taylor if he was fit, also i thought colo was wanting tonight aswell though. it was a collective failure rather than an individual one.

Coloccini normally covers the left side of centre, tonight he was trying to cover both left and right.

Coloccini normally covers the left side of centre, tonight he was trying to cover both left and right.

you reckon, i thought taylor went for benteke and colo went after bent in general.

Basically this - we were lucky to win this match, Krul saving our bacon in the second half with at least 3 great saves....all caused by handing the initiative to Villa, who, thanks to Lambert's HT reorganization, really put us under the screw.

They went for it with 3, sometimes 4 up front and with Gutierrez having a nightmare second half, our m/f couldn't cope at times. Naturally, we reverted to hoofing the ball forward once Shola came on, and needless to say, he lost it more times than not.This is Pardew's favoured tactic.

Pardew had millions of pounds worth of talent in the side and still managed to make us look worse than Villa in the second half...their side cost a fraction of ours.

We have some great players but we are never going to see the best of them under this man...some may disagree, but that's my opinion.

Basically this - we were lucky to win this match, Krul saving our bacon in the second half with at least 3 great saves....all caused by handing the initiative to Villa, who, thanks to Lambert's HT reorganization, really put us under the screw.

They went for it with 3, sometimes 4 up front and with Gutierrez having a nightmare second half, our m/f couldn't cope at times. Naturally, we reverted to hoofing the ball forward once Shola came on, and needless to say, he lost it more times than not.This is Pardew's favoured tactic.

Pardew had millions of pounds worth of talent in the side and still managed to make us look worse than Villa in the second half...their side cost a fraction of ours.

We have some great players but we are never going to see the best of them under this man...some may disagree, but that's my opinion.

do you not think sissoko and cabaye had crap second halves ?

He doesn't seem to understand the concept of confidence at all. The players will have got absolutely none from last night, same as they didn't after the other undeserved wins we've scraped.

Playing well and scoring goals breeds far more confidence than desperately dragging 3 points over the line against a team who were lower than a snake's belly at half time.

He doesn't seem to understand the concept of confidence at all. The players will have got absolutely none from last night, same as they didn't after the other undeserved wins we've scraped.

Playing well and scoring goals breeds far more confidence than desperately dragging 3 points over the line against a team who were lower than a snake's belly at half time.

I agree about the concerns over Pardew but how can you honestly say the players won't gain any confidence from that? We hadn't won away all season and this was an absolute must win 6 pointer. They won and we got 3 points at the end of the day. Just my opinion obviously.