Alan Pardew

Dave

"It's rare in football to have the position that I have had, and even with the results I had, the message from upstairs was that I was going to be retained as manager, which was a good feeling for me - perhaps not so much for our fans at times.

"I hope to repay that in the longer term because obviously I was aware of the problems and I am aware of the problems we still have.

"We need to strengthen the under-belly of this football club and we need to do that this summer, probably.

"If we can do that, then we are going to be well-set for next year because we have got some very good players on our books now."

Yuuup. :lol: :lol:

Quotes all read to me as following: Newcastle will have to have one helluva squad to achieve anything in the next 7.5 years O0

I hope the f***er wasn't implying that we have been on his back this season?

He's got to be aware that he's been getting stick away from match time. This forum is proof of that. If you mean that he's been given a decent time of it by the supporters during the matches then yes I'd agree. The press too have been ok generally. 

"It's rare in football to have the position that I have had, and even with the results I had, the message from upstairs was that I was going to be retained as manager, which was a good feeling for me - perhaps not so much for our fans at times.

"I hope to repay that in the longer term because obviously I was aware of the problems and I am aware of the problems we still have.

"We need to strengthen the under-belly of this football club and we need to do that this summer, probably.

"If we can do that, then we are going to be well-set for next year because we have got some very good players on our books now."

Quotes all read to me as following: Newcastle will have to have one helluva squad to achieve anything in the next 7.5 years O0

He's got to be aware that he's been getting stick away from match time. This forum is proof of that. If you mean that he's been given a decent time of it by the supporters during the matches then yes I'd agree. The press too have been ok generally. 

i wonder what others experiences have been like away from this forum ? mine are that he's been given very little stick for the poor performances from my mates etc who go to games but some of the players have been slagged off (in the pubs, at work etc, not at the ground).

This forum is absolutely not a good indication IMO, I know a few in real life who have been very peeved without going fucking mental but patience this season on the whole appears to have been extraordinarily high.

Or in other words he has nothing to whinge about whatsoever on that score, due to a combination of generally lowered expectations and good grace lingering from last season's fantastic effort he has had hardly any fan discontent to contend with this year.

i wonder what others experiences have been like away from this forum ? mine are that he's been given very little stick for the poor performances from my mates etc who go to games but some of the players have been slagged off (in the pubs, at work etc, not at the ground).

Most of the people I talk to don't want him gone tbh and I think that is mainly because they don't want us to go into another period of instability. Having said that I do think he has bought himself a bit more tolerance than someone else might have got because he exceeded expectations last season. That's not to say that there hasn't been plenty of anger aimed at him after games like the Reading one, and I have good mates (and family!) who felt he should have gone after that. I do agree with you though that the (lack of) performance by some of the players has probably been more strongly expressed than any anti Pardew sentiment during the recent horrendous run we were on.

For the record I don't want him to go. I'm praying we have a decent end to the season and everyone involved with the club learns from what has happened these last few months. I do think AP has the ability to do a good job here (I know some will disagree with that) and I don't want the experience he has of what this club is about, its supporters, its owners, the players etc walking out the door.

Most of the people I talk to don't want him gone tbh and I think that is mainly because they don't want us to go into another period of instability. Having said that I do think he has bought himself a bit more tolerance than someone else might have got because he exceeded expectations last season. That's not to say that there hasn't been plenty of anger aimed at him after games like the Reading one, and I have good mates (and family!) who felt he should have gone after that. I do agree with you though that the (lack of) performance by some of the players has probably been more strongly expressed than any anti Pardew sentiment during the recent horrendous run we were on.

For the record I don't want him to go. I'm praying we have a decent end to the season and everyone involved with the club learns from what has happened these last few months. I do think AP has the ability to a good job here (I know some will disagree with that) and I don't want the experience he has of what this club is about, its supporters. its owners and the players walking out the door.

got to admit, after the reading game, if it was my decision i'd have let him go and yes it's surprising how much difference a couple of wins (and 3 good halves) can make.

For the record I don't want him to go. I'm praying we have a decent end to the season and everyone involved with the club learns from what has happened these last few months. I do think AP has the ability to do a good job here (I know some will disagree with that) and I don't want the experience he has of what this club is about, its supporters, its owners, the players etc walking out the door.

I agree with this, though my opinion has swayed a lot this season with there being some really strange decisions and negative play mixed in with some industrial-strength bullshitting - after the summer he claimed to be delighted with the squad strength, now he blames much of the struggle on it. I'm much less convinced about his overall ability than I was and his efforts under pressure this season haven't been too good, but despite this the positives of keeping him still outweigh the negatives of him going IMO. Not that I think he was ever in any danger.

One of the biggest things for me is that players new and old seem to continue to rate him. This season there have been some worrying hints of fallouts but generally speaking he seems to have their trust. That counts for a lot.

I agree with this, though my opinion has swayed a lot this season with there being some really strange decisions and negative play mixed in with some industrial-strength bullshitting - after the summer he claimed to be delighted with the squad strength, now he blames much of the struggle on it. I'm much less convinced about his overall ability than I was and his efforts under pressure this season haven't been too good, but despite this the positives of keeping him still outweigh the negatives of him going IMO. Not that I think he was ever in any danger.

One of the biggest things for me is that players new and old seem to continue to rate him. This season there have been some worrying hints of fallouts but generally speaking he seems to have their trust. That counts for a lot.

tbf what was he supposed to say ? we didn't get what we want now i'm going to have to put these kids in now and again and they just aren't good enough (yes i've laid it on thick but you get my drift).

the tactics when we had good enough on the pitch was the thing for me, the whole "play ba through the middle all the time" was just weird.

One of my big concerns (and this is admittedly becoming a bit of a cliche on here) is that he appears to have started well at all of the clubs he's been at before completely losing the plot and leaving the club in a right mess. I'd always feared that this was largely down to him talking a good game which will only last so long if there is not a lot of substance there to back it up.

This is the next thing that I need him to prove me wrong on, the fact that I don't really like him aside I'd really like him to do so as it would save us changing manager, etc. Let's hope the board never leave him short again, and that that was the main reason he was shit this season, and that it's a coincidence his previous jobs have fizzled out. All of this is possible and I hope so but we'll see.

Wasn't that only really West Ham and Charlton? Left Reading as a highly-rated young manager to join the former and Southampton were only three games into the season when he left them for what most people recognise weren't footballing reasons.

It's pretty rare for any manager to not have a honeymoon period where things start off well. Players trying harder, fresh ideas paying off etc. Seems harsh to apply this to an entire season, nine months after his arrival.

I'm rather unconvinced by him at present. He talks a good game but this season has been as poor as last season was good, with a lot of common (negative) themes running through both. If we finish the season well then he'll deserve 2013/14 to show which is the truer level of his ability.

Guest neesy111

Wasn't that only really West Ham and Charlton? Left Reading as a highly-rated young manager to join the former and Southampton were only three games into the season when he left them for what most people recognise weren't footballing reasons.

It's pretty rare for any manager to not have a honeymoon period where things start off well. Players trying harder, fresh ideas paying off etc. Seems harsh to apply this to an entire season, nine months after his arrival.

I'm rather unconvinced by him at present. He talks a good game but this season has been as poor as last season was good, with a lot of common (negative) themes running through both. If we finish the season well then he'll deserve 2013/14 to show which is the truer level of his ability.

He'll be under more pressure at the start of next season and won't get the patience he had this season from many fans imo.

He'll be under more pressure at the start of next season and won't get the patience he had this season from many fans imo.

depends on how we finish this season.

It would take a cretin of the highest order to prevent these players from being good, the odd ok game aside. Any more of the shit we saw earlier this season and he has zero respect or patience left.

Yep. I was pleased with the Marveux sub the other week though; very different and just the impetus the game needed.

I've heard him get slagged off a fair bit in the stands but never to the point of singing or chanting in unison and has sometimes led to arguments.

Not interested in whether he is getting stick from the stands or not - because of his past record - and some of the crazy decisions he has made this season - he still has to prove he is a long-term successful manager in my book.

We now have a very good squad of players and if we start back-sliding again - not necessarily in this game because it is a tough one - I reckon many fans who HAVE been patient and blamed the results on Ashley - will lose patience very quickly. I know we don't want instability but we need to be getting decent results and performances with this squad now.

Time will tell....

Didn't have time to post this pre-game, but was disappointed to see Perch retain his place ahead of Tiote.

(I know that Perch has since had a shocker with the goal, but I thought this anyway and Colo has to take a share of the blame for his silly foul in a dangerous area.)

Pardew's man management in public is excellent, but he does have a tendency to bottle the big selection decisions.

It seems that we have to lose games in order for him to make changes. Williamson played against Reading and arguably cost us points. Taylor was on the bench for that game and had he played the result may have been different.

Now Tiote hasn't been at his best this year, but Perch is just OK at what he does. He was the worst player on the pitch against Chelsea and Cheik should have taken his place. You always play the best XI to take the points on the day for me.