Alan Pardew

Dave

For some, such is their dislike for Pardew or their belief that he is a bad manager or a combination of the two, that whatever Pardew ends up achieving, they will always state that a 'better' manager would achieved more.  It is a very useful argument to be able to fall back on as it can't really be disproved.

For some, such is their dislike for Pardew or their belief that he is a bad manager or a combination of the two, that whatever Pardew ends up achieving, they will always state that a 'better' manager would achieved more.  It is a very useful argument to be able to fall back on as it can't really be disproved.

If we won something I would never suggest that, however I also won't ignore the fact that we look like an accident waiting to happen 90% of the time

The one thing I want to give him credit for is - even if it took too long - moving away from the long ball and 4-4-2. It looks as if we're set to continue with three midfielders and Cissé in the number 9 role. It appears as if Ba was part of that problem, but he now has to get the dynamics and functions of this formation.

In his mind, there's still something telling him that he can put strikers on the wing. But part of the lesson is learnt here.

I also believe the hoofing has ceased because Williamson and Simpson are more or less out of the team. The new players are trusted to play it short, goalkeeper aside whom we still see hoof it more than often. Just look at the way Southampton played it out yesterday, with their full-backs dropping deep and picking it up.

Set plays however are unbelievably s***. From distribution to movement. We never, ever look like scoring.

The one thing I want to give him credit for is - even if it took too long - moving away from the long ball and 4-4-2. It looks as if we're set to continue with three midfielders and Cissé in the number 9 role. It appears as if Ba was part of that problem, but he now has to get the dynamics and functions of this formation.

In his mind, there's still something telling him that he can put strikers on the wing. But part of the lesson is learnt here.

I also believe the hoofing has ceased because Williamson and Simpson are more or less out of the team. The new players are trusted to play it short, goalkeeper aside whom we still see hoof it more than often. Just look at the way Southampton played it out yesterday, with their full-backs dropping deep and picking it up.

Set plays however are unbelievably s***. From distribution to movement. We never, ever look like scoring.

Agree, I will give him credit for moving to 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 it has improved things. The striker on the wing is annoying as fuck when it's Cisse or Shola as none are capable of that role (Gouffran is by the looks of it). Also yes we are playing less long balls which is good, I just wish we looked more capable to pass and move rather than inconsistently doing it

The obvious prejudice some have against him dilutes what might otherwise be valid criticisms.

A lot of guff is spouted about tactics/formations etc on here. The late, great Bill Shankly said that the way to become a top class manager was to get yourself eleven top class players, and Pardew is certainly moving towards that. (More than eleven needed nowadays of course)

Whatever we may or may not think, it does appear that our players are very commited to Pardew and have a strong belief in him.

Dekka's programme notes were quite enlightening yesterday and worth a read if anyone gets the chance.

The obvious prejudice some have against him dilutes what might otherwise be valid criticisms.

A lot of guff is spouted about tactics/formations etc on here. The late, great Bill Shankly said that the way to become a top class manager was to get yourself eleven top class players, and Pardew is certainly moving towards that. (More than eleven needed nowadays of course)

Whatever we may or may not think, it does appear that our players are very commited to Pardew and have a strong belief in him.

Dekka's programme notes were quite enlightening yesterday and worth a read if anyone gets the chance.

Any chance of giving us the gist of them?

He's an excellent man manager by the looks of things but tactically he's looked awful, especially when trying to transition the side into playing a different way, and that will probably show again when we have a few injuries or are found out, he just takes far too long to adjust. Hopefully it wont be as noticeable when we fill the gaps in the summer (fingers crossed).

I do like Pardew, but I would still replace him if the chance arose.

Essentially about the relationship between Pardew and Graham Carr, how they work together regarding recruitment and complement each other.

Have noticed a few people criticising Pardew for the use of Shola. Does anyone seriously think he'd be using Shola if he had another natural striker available to him? When you're trying to win games and Shola is our only first team striker then it's inevitable that some of the time Shola is going to end up playing. Hopefully after the summer we won't be in this situation but until then I don't really think you can criticise Pardew for using Shola.

I think a lot of people on here are in an awkward position caused by their own comments. They will simply not praise him, or give credit where it's obviously due, in order to save face.

You are utterly deluded if you think critics of Pardew are now having to eat their words.

He is an incredibly limited manager and it would be a travesty if this set of players only ever get to play under him.

I didn't use that phrase so, no, it's not what I think. It may well come to that, like.

You're fighting a losing battle by trying to argue using common sense.

*EDIT: Cheers for deleting your post, Phil. :lol:

Just though my views'd all been said before anyways !  ;D  O0

Personally, I have been a mixture of reasonably impressed and absolutely infuriated by Pardew. But thats normal with managers I suppose !

saints fans seem to think he has tactical brainz...

`Our problems are the same as they have been all season, they havent changed just because we changed managers, we still lack in key areas and this is going to be a problem to us in the coming months, Alan Pardew did his homework yesterday and hit us where he knew we were vunerable, two goals came from long balls pumped forward that we didnt deal with and two others came from quick breaks where they got wide and ran at us on the right and we failed to prevent the cross's, the same old problems that have been happening all season.`

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/fb_news.php?storyid=31520&title=saints_at_newcastle_the_verdict

Have noticed a few people criticising Pardew for the use of Shola. Does anyone seriously think he'd be using Shola if he had another natural striker available to him? When you're trying to win games and Shola is our only first team striker then it's inevitable that some of the time Shola is going to end up playing. Hopefully after the summer we won't be in this situation but until then I don't really think you can criticise Pardew for using Shola.

It's not so much his use of Shola, it's the fact that he's seen as our first and last attacking option from the bench regardless of the situation, and when he brings him on we usually see Cisse moved out wide and the squad told to just hammer the ball up field. If we had a better striker in reserve then obviously he would get the nod ahead of him, but we've had Marveaux and Obertan sitting idle on the bench when games have been screaming for a spark of creativity, or pace on the break. 9 times out of 10 though it's been Shola.

`Our problems are the same as they have been all season, they havent changed just because we changed managers, we still lack in key areas and this is going to be a problem to us in the coming months, Alan Pardew did his homework yesterday and hit us where he knew we were vunerable, two goals came from long balls pumped forward that we didnt deal with and two others came from quick breaks where they got wide and ran at us on the right and we failed to prevent the cross's, the same old problems that have been happening all season.`

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/fb_news.php?storyid=31520&title=saints_at_newcastle_the_verdict

Aye, credit Pardew for switching to the long ball for this game.

:thup:

We have a team to be comfortably a top 10 side. Pardew sets us out negatively every game. If he can change that and try to be more brave, maybe the way the season has panned out has forced his hands to play more cautiously, but I still think we did that plenty last season. I hope when HBA is back that he will set his team to go and win games and attack from the off. It's not in his nature, but if he can learn from his mistakes which he is very slow at learning from then he can definitely bring success to our squad, but it hinges on him changing his footballing mentality.

Aye, credit Pardew for switching to the long ball for this game.

:lol: Bollocks. Bollocks were they aimless long balls like we have seen. They may have had a bit more range on them than a short pass in midfield, but they were aimed, longer passes. They weren't lumped long balls. Fucking howay, man.

Why should Pardew be given credit for starting to play 4-2-3-1/4-3-3? I can give him credit for many other things, but that is certainly not one of them!!  Am i happy about it? Yes.

His stubborness with the 4-4-2 earlier in the season is the biggest reason for us playing poorly before and the players losing most of their confidence left in them, and the injuries were the icing on the cake later on.

Essentially about the relationship between Pardew and Graham Carr, how they work together regarding recruitment and complement each other.

Guest icemanblue

Why should Pardew be given credit for starting to play 4-2-3-1/4-3-3? I can give him credit for many other things, but that is certainly not one of them!!  Am i happy about it? Yes.

His stubborness with the 4-4-2 earlier in the season is the biggest reason for us playing poorly before and the players losing most of their confidence left in them, and the injuries were the icing on the cake later on.

Aye. He destroyed the player's confidence through shite football, which resulted in our poor results. The injuries weren't to blame, at all. I mean, it's not as if results have picked up since we've had better players in the team, is it?

Aye. But his corrected that mistake and switched it, which I think is a sign of him learning from mistakes and taking on board another approach than the one he preferred. For that, I don't see why he shouldn't be given credit.