Alan Pardew

Dave

I saw the front 6 like this:

Tiote

Ben Arfa      Anita      Ferguson

Ba      Sammy

It was akin to a diamond, no chance it was 4-3-3 though. Bottom line was, we still hoofed it and had very little central presence. That first half wasn't bad considering our recent showings but it still wasn't particularly good either.

Pardew's definitely feeling the pressure (what with his latest set of quotes). This current point in time is probably his biggest managerial test to date and one which I sincerely hope he succeeds in, for the sake of the club.

You'd hope the owner, manager and players would be determined to prove that assessment wrong though. Sadly what we've produced on the pitch has so far mirrored the complete lack of ambition off it. Flash in the pan.

I know that intelligence and a proper grasp of the English language are not necessarily a pre-requisite to be a successful manager, but what the fuck is Pardew on about concerning manoeuvring Obertan's toe?

"Obertan has got a toe that we needed to sort out, so there has been a manoeuvre on that which put him out today and probably for Maritimo as well. He might be back for Southampton."

I think I know what he means, it's just an incredibly strange way to say it, and as a lot of things that our esteemed manager says, makes little or no sense. AVB says similar nonsensical things but he's Porkandcheese so he has an excuse.

Guest malandro

You'd hope the owner, manager and players would be determined to prove that assessment wrong though. Sadly what we've produced on the pitch has so far mirrored the complete lack of ambition off it. Flash in the pan.

Breaking into the top four without spending serious money on players and wages is close to impossible. Barring a financial fair play shaped miracle last season was the zenith of the Ashley era in terms of league position. What's left is plodding along hoping to win a cup and being force fed SportsDirect logos. I can live with the former if we play good football, the later is unpalatable

To be honest, this is just about what we've been used to for the past decade or so and what a club in our position should be expecting for the foreseeable future.

Last season was a happy fluke, but it makes this season feel that much worse. I think I'd be pretty 'meh' about the whole thing if we finished 10th last year or something.

I know that intelligence and a proper grasp of the English language are not necessarily a pre-requisite to be a successful manager, but what the f*** is Pardew on about concerning manoeuvring Obertan's toe?

"Obertan has got a toe that we needed to sort out, so there has been a manoeuvre on that which put him out today and probably for Maritimo as well. He might be back for Southampton."

Bit more worrying that he sees Obertan as a potential solution for something.

Worst bit for me is knowing that we'll lose some players that I love playing for us if we don't at least repeat last season's efforts. Can't see HBA or Cabaye or Ba staying in a midtable team for long.

We've not looked like a midtable team this season, like.

To be honest, this is just about what we've been used to for the past decade or so and what a club in our position should be expecting for the foreseeable future.

Last season was a happy fluke, but it makes this season feel that much worse. I think I'd be pretty 'meh' about the whole thing if we finished 10th last year or something.

I agree with that, have said the same and so have plenty of others.

The problem is, we actually have a squad of players that should be aiming higher than midtable.  In the past we've had a load of dross, or overpaid, past it mercenaries.  Despite the lack of investment, we have a far better group of players now.  The best team since the SBR days for sure and I would argue there are stronger players in certain positions.

We do still have some passengers getting games, that are barely good enough for lower league sides (Willo, Simpson, Shola, Harper etc).  But the rest of the squad are good enough to finish top 6-8.  Not languishing in about 12th place like a Souness/Roeder team.

I think that's the issue.  Pards has us playing such anti-football and  we can all see he wastes such talented players with his 'front foot, exciting brand of football'.......

I know that intelligence and a proper grasp of the English language are not necessarily a pre-requisite to be a successful manager, but what the f*** is Pardew on about concerning manoeuvring Obertan's toe?

We went on an amazing run from the start of last season with Obertan playing right wing and Hatem on the bench.

I'm not for a minute suggesting that we drop Hatem but moving him inside and adding Obertan's pace and directness might not be the worst idea.

Guest Slippery Sam

Was it not just something about Obertan's head resembling a big toe? 

What worries me more than anything is that Pardew is pretty much immune to being sacked.

Not saying I want him to be sacked, but he won't feel any pressure if this continues.

Shit football awarded with shit results whilst having a couple of fucking phenomenal players on our hands. I've not felt this frustration in 16 years supporting this club.

Guest malandro

True, which is why other factors in the football supporting experience are important. Like the visual integrity of the stadium, the atmosphere, the style of play, the availability of tickets for away games, the attitude to cup games, which strip we wear. In the absence of success / progress this kind of stuff takes on greater importance.

ATM the club is being run entirely in the name of money but without the rewards.

We went on an amazing run from the start of last season with Obertan playing right wing and Hatem on the bench.

I'm not for a minute suggesting that we drop Hatem but moving him inside and adding Obertan's pace and directness might not be the worst idea.

I can't remember a run of minutes where Obertan was good, let alone games.

I've got a pretty short memory myself, but why do people keep coming back to the idea of Obertan? He's been under par/shite for the most part, especially in Premier League.