Alan Pardew

Dave

Guest bimpy474

Spending separate time on defending and attacking seems a bit of a backwards way to do things regardless of how much you spend on each, to me anyway.

This is not American Football where we have a go then you have a go, football should be much more fluid than that. Even when we're defending, we should be thinking about how to turn it round before we've even won the ball, like the best teams do.

Man United have always been so good on the counter because their attacking players are in the right place as soon as the ball is won, whereas for us when we win the ball, Ben Arfa is usually next to our corner flag. This seems a consequence of this "defend then attack" approach.

Spot on  O0

It's a really interesting point, I honestly don't know how most teams approach it.

Also, it's easy to say that you're concentrating on the opposition too much when you're losing, guess when you're stopping them and winning games it seems more acceptable.

I'm not inspired by Pardew's quotes about this either like.

Most teams approach it by having allocated roles with regard to situations that occur commonly during defending. That is the general backdrop. Then for a day or so they look at video or dossier of the other team and hone that general defensive pattern a bit to suit the next opponent.

I have never in my life heard of a team spending FOUR DAYS ON OPPONENT SPECIFIC DEFENCE, infact when I first heard about it last year I thought it was just a PR stunt by Pards to make him look thorough.

It's the same for attack, there are pitch area specific routines and role allocation (what happens if we do this) and then that is honed to the next opponent for a day or so....

hardly think its unusual to train on opposition weaknesses and how to exploit them, Revie was doing it for Leeds in the 60's

It's a really interesting point, I honestly don't know how most teams approach it.

Also, it's easy to say that you're concentrating on the opposition too much when you're losing, guess when you're stopping them and winning games it seems more acceptable.

Most teams approach it by having allocated roles with regard to situations that occur commonly during defending. That is the general backdrop. Then for a day or so they look at video or dossier of the other team and hone that general defensive pattern a bit to suit the next opponent.

I have never in my life heard of a team spending FOUR DAYS ON OPPONENT SPECIFIC DEFENCE, infact when I first heard about it last year I thought it was just a PR stunt by Pards to make him look thorough.

It's the same for attack, there are pitch area specific routines and role allocation (what happens if we do this) and then that is honed to the next opponent for a day or so....

hardly think its unusual to train on opposition weaknesses and how to exploit them, Revie was doing it for Leeds in the 60's

Take it you can't read.

We don't do that though, we train on opposition strengths and how to stop them.

Spending separate time on defending and attacking seems a bit of a backwards way to do things regardless of how much you spend on each, to me anyway.

This is not American Football where we have a go then you have a go, football should be much more fluid than that. Even when we're defending, we should be thinking about how to turn it round before we've even won the ball, like the best teams do.

Man United have always been so good on the counter because their attacking players are in the right place as soon as the ball is won, whereas for us when we win the ball, Ben Arfa is usually next to our corner flag. This seems a consequence of this "defend then attack" approach.

it works for man utd because they attack and defend as a team whereas our forwards, this season, have rarely proivided a first line of defence. ben arfa is in our present formation a midfielder and if rooney played in midfield he would be expected to get deeper defensivly than the forwards.

man utd will work on defensive duties, it's impossible to be that organised and not put in the groundwork, however they also know that in the majority of games they won't have to defend as much as the majority of other teams.

it would actually be inetersting to watch teams training for a week or so and see what they do different. much as many want it to be a certain way i doubt we just work on defending for 4 days a week, from the little i've seen (one afternoon) most was spent in small sided high intensity games and a little bit of set pice work, both attacking and defending.

According to Fabregas (and when you see some of the goals they concede) Wenger rarely talks about the opposition at all. they don't look to specifically stop the opposition.

According to Fabregas (and when you see some of the goals they concede) Wenger rarely talks about the opposition at all. they don't look to specifically stop the opposition.

arsenal at that time wouldn't really need to.

Was sitting there waiting for a substitution a good five to ten minutes before their first, we needed to calm things down and something new but he just wouldn't do anything.

I honestly feel sick seeing Ranger play for us again though, fucking disgusting that he's given another chance.

We're going to be a trivia question in ten years. Which manager won both Manager of the Year Awards and was sacked/got his team relegated the next season?

And which manager won manager of the year but his side didn't score a corner for 14 months and never came from behind to win?

Thought he got the team trying again, digging in and such,

He can't legislate for that f*** up of an excuse that is Williamson

The sad thing is that today probably would've been a turnaround game if we lucked out and got the three points.

As it is, I don't think there's any way back now.

He could try playing Perch or Curtis Good instead. At least they won't shit their pants every time the ball is in their vicinity.

Williamson is an easy scapegoat, I didn't think we looked comfortable on the ball in any areas of the pitch tonight. Our dreadful footballing philosophy just asks for insane amounts of pressure on our back four. Williamson will crack easily over 90 mins with that sustained pressure, I'm amazed he made it as long as he did tonight.

He's either lost the dressing room or the players have seen the lack of ambition and their minds are on a transfer elsewhere.

Either way, how long will blubber gump put up with hovering so close to the drop zone? Time for him to fuck his spending policy and dip his hand in his pocket or fuck off.

I'm sure if Alan had got the players he'd earmarked, we would not be in the position we currently are. He still has to hold most of the blame for the inept displays on offer, but a vast majority of that lays on the players shoulders for whatever fucking reason it is.

This is so much like when we went down last time, it's pathetic that such an array of talent can't even pass on target or even do the basics right.