Alan Pardew

Dave

Do me a favour. How hard is it to tell a striker to play in a striker's role and attacking forwards, (Obertan and Marveaux), to play offensively and create chances, while also tracking back when needed.

Football is a simple game, people try and over complicate it far too much with intricate tactics and instructions.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_9gcceJohlAk/S_jcAzfBynI/AAAAAAAAN8w/Ed3DogtwOds/s400/Jos%C3%A9_Mourinho_champions_league.jpg

Do me a favour. How hard is it to tell a striker to play in a striker's role and attacking forwards, (Obertan and Marveaux), to play offensively and create chances, while also tracking back when needed.

Football is a simple game, people try and over complicate it far too much with intricate tactics and instructions.

Nothing to do with Pardew, but this is one of the worst and most ignorant stereotypes  about football at the top level.

Absolutely. Very worrying when a manager admits to having no flexibility. What the fuck do they do in training? How much of our play do they actually rehearse? Is no one paying any attention to their teammates' responsibilities? A well drilled, well coached squad will have zero problems adjusting to a minor change in personnel as they would should a player get injured the warm up or something.

Pardew has dug his own ditch here.

Worth noting that his name is still being sung in the stadium, home and away.

I actually think that's a very good thing. By all means moan on here, but during the game support the team including the manager. I don't think that means that the match day crowd aren't unhappy with him and this season though, certainly not the people who sit around me anyway.

Guest neesy111

It's only sung by the Strawberry corner, not a single person joined in with it in the back of the Gallowgate.

Why is it?

If you have played football at even the lowest amatuer league levels you would know that football is not a simple game and that drills, strategies and philosophies play a huge part.

It is only a simple game.... on the playground when there are no refs, and a couple of jumpers for posts!

Why is it?

There's a great deal of complex thinking and preparation that goes into a match of professional football. Go read a book or something.

No doubt about that. But I can't believe that a squad of players at our level can't readjust to fit Cisse back in his preferred position where he is most effective to score goals and win the match for the team! Bloody hell it's not rocket science!

Guest icemanblue

I actually think that's a very good thing. By all means moan on here, but during the game support the team including the manager. I don't think that means that the match day crowd aren't unhappy with him and this season though, certainly not the people who sit around me anyway.

It is. What it does show is a willingness to persevere with the current setup, reasonably confident that things will improve. I think most people, with common sense, would agree that sacking the current encumbent is not the answer to our woes.

Guest neesy111

The next 3 league games are the most crucial during his time here, if we are in the relegation places after them 3 then his position will probably be untenable.

Why is it?

There's a great deal of complex thinking and preparation that goes into a match of professional football. Go read a book or something.

Have you played? You can tell me to read all the books you like, pouring too much thought into other teams and their tactics and worrying about what they are going to do is not a good thing imo.

Don't get me wrong, preparation is key. Vital in fact, but it has to be preparation to play to YOUR strengths. This is what I mean, it's a simple game it really is, don't spend days worrying about opposition.

Why is it?

If you have played football at even the lowest amatuer league levels you would know that football is not a simple game and that drills, strategies and philosophies play a huge part.

It is only a simple game.... on the playground when there are no refs, and a couple of jumpers for posts!

Having a game plan and philosophy is pretty simple stuff though.

As I said above, worrying about opposition is where it gets sticky and needlessly complex.

Guest neesy111

Why is it?

As I said above, worrying about opposition is where it gets sticky and needlessly complex.

That's my issue here.  He needs to decide a formation and stick with it and actually look to put other teams under pressure.

It is. What it does show is a willingness to persevere with the current setup, reasonably confident that things will improve. I think most people, with common sense, would agree that sacking the current encumbent is not the answer to our woes.

I think that would change fairly sharpish if we slipped into the relegation zone mind. At this point it would be hugely symbolic.

Why is it?

Have you played? You can tell me to read all the books you like, pouring too much thought into other teams and their tactics and worrying about what they are going to do is not a good thing imo.

Don't get me wrong, preparation is key. Vital in fact, but it has to be preparation to play to YOUR strengths. This is what I mean, it's a simple game it really is, don't spend days worrying about opposition.

I agree. I think you've got to know the opposition, know how to exploit them and how to stifle them but do it in a positive, constructive manner which focuses on your own teams strengths.

Why is it?

sorry to use another picture but;

http://u.goal.com/242800/242895hp2.jpg

Even at the most basic level, you have to start preparing your defence to face threats of opposition players, or, "fuck it, high line against one of the quickest players in the division"? I don't even rate Walcott but its suicidal inviting him to play on the shoulder...

This is the most basic example i could use, or for more in depth look at how Inter beat Barca on the way to champions league. They were fairly attacking on the way, but when they needed to, they were staunch against Barca and played in a  manner that they probably wouldnt have done against any other team.

Guest icemanblue

I think that would change fairly sharpish if we slipped into the relegation zone mind. At this point it would be hugely symbolic.

I disagree. I think most of the anger would be directed towards Mr Ashley.

Why is it?

I agree. I think you've got to know the opposition, know how to exploit them and how to stifle them but do it in a positive, constructive manner which focuses on your own teams strengths.

You've got to do both really, play to your strengths and stifle the opposition. You're teams "strengths" also don't exist in isolation, you need to analyze how they interact with the opposition's qualities so you can leverage them for maximum effect.

Either way, in no way, shape, or form is top level football a "simple" game. That's honestly just something fans make up to slag off managers and players.

Yeah there would certainly be a lot of that. I've never lost sight of the fact the summer was a fucking disgrace, even though I think Pardew should be doing a hell of a lot better. The message it sent out was arguably even more damaging than the physical deficiencies.

Guest icemanblue

Yeah there would certainly be a lot of that. I've never lost sight of the fact the summer was a fucking disgrace, even though I think Pardew should be doing a hell of a lot better. The message it sent out was arguably even more damaging than the physical deficiencies.

A lot of people have.

I'm not going to try to claim that Pardew's doing even remotely well. However, my stance hasn't changed since before these three less than winnable fixtures. The season is a write off, but I don't believe the majority of the blame lies at Pardew's feet. We will be fine, though.

What frustrates me is that his actions are so ridiculous but he'll sprinkle in quotes that show he sees what we see - the subtle jabs at Simpson, intending to play Cisse through the middle, finally changing to 4-3-3 etc.

Then he'll start Shola upfront with Cisse on the wing, sub off our attacking threats and tell us to be grateful for his puppet master Ashley. The man is full of contradictions. He's somehow dragged this team into a relegation battle!

Why is it?

You've got to do both really, play to your strengths and stifle the opposition. You're teams "strengths" also don't exist in isolation, you need to analyze how they interact with the opposition's qualities so you can leverage them for maximum effect.

Either way, in no way, shape, or form is top level football a "simple" game. That's honestly just something fans make up to slag off managers and players.

Of course its simple, play players out of position, hoof, hope for individual bit of brilliance, hoof, panic, make unfathomable subs, hoof,  have prepared excuses ready,  and repeat

Guest neesy111

A lot of people have.

I'm not going to try to claim that Pardew's doing even remotely well. However, my stance hasn't changed since before these three less than winnable fixtures. The season is a write off, but I don't believe the majority of the blame lies at Pardew's feet. We will be fine, though.

I hope you're right but you've kept saying this for 2 months and we've slid ever closer to the drop zone and no team is ever too good to go down.