Alan Pardew

Dave

I think that was kind of the point he was making - the manager can say "look Danny and Mike, I want us to play incisive passing football so when you get the ball can you please pass it first time in a precise manner to a nearby player wearing the same colour shirt" If Danny and Mike prove incapable of doing this, what is your next choice?

If a player doesn't do what he's told you don't play them and if it wasn't down to the manager, why did Ben Arfa, Ba and Cabaye who regularly attend training think it was down to the manager?

Who do you play there instead ? Is it Pardews fault we have no one to play instead of Williamson, we have tried Perch, Raylor, Tavernier and Simpson there, none of them have made any improvement.  Your reply would be valid if Pardew persisted with these players whilst keeping Debuchy and Taylor on the bench and lets be honest Taylor is still not the answer.

Do you have any idea how Poyet managed to get Brighton playing passing football despite having footballers who are Championship standard?

They're a highly inconsistent championship side, and have been for the duration of Poyet's tenure - I think you're barking up the wrong tree with him.

I agree we need a manager with the attributes you've quoted, but you've based your opinion on two games against us as opposed to his managerial record in full.

I have to agree with Mick's earlier post, think that really hit the nail on the head re our predicament. I'm quickly reaching breaking point, and have completely lost any enthusiasm for this season. The QPR game was one of the worst matches I've ever been to, and that's been followed by one of the most embarrassing performances I've ever witnessed yesterday. Also, the inevitably of the Everton loss was so galling its untrue - I really don't think Pardew has an idea what he's doing.

Look at the majority of managers of teams in the bottom half. Most of them have players who wouldn't get into our teams, yet they are able to perform in the premier league due to an understanding of the system and philosophy that their manager is employing. They seem to have a style fundamentally understood, and players know what they are doing. The majority of footballers are simple beasts and are able to play to their maximum if they understand what is being asked of them. Look at Wigan, most of their players are individually poor and wouldn't get anywhere near our team. However, they all seem to understand what they're doing and play some terrific football at times. Imagine what somebody like Martinez could do with our team? Similarly look at West Ham, Norwich and Fulham - they just look better organised than we do and appear to have a system that all of the players understand. Our lot look like they've never met each other before and that's the fault of the coaching staff. The injury excuse is bollocks for me, because they've looked like that for the duration of pardew's stewardship with the exception of 6/7 games from the end of last season.

Ideally I'd want to replace him, but I share everyone's concerns about the club's ability to replace him with anyone other than some cunt like Kinnear

:thup:

I am by no means in the Pardew Out camp, but I was wondering this morning who we would go for if he is peddled? Given the system under which we expect a manager to operate surely the best option would be a foreign 'head coach' who is used to this sort of set up?

Definitely been saying that, in this set up a head coach makes so much more sense.

On top of that a head coach would want to join because the hazards of working under Ashley and Llambias are nowhere near as bad because you wouldn't have much say in transfers and that's how they work across Europe anyway.

Guest bimpy474

I am by no means in the Pardew Out camp, but I was wondering this morning who we would go for if he is peddled? Given the system under which we expect a manager to operate surely the best option would be a foreign 'head coach' who is used to this sort of set up?

Definitely been saying that, in this set up a head coach makes so much more sense.

On top of that a head coach would want to join because the hazards of working under Ashley and Llambias are nowhere near as bad because you wouldn't have much say in transfers and that's how they work across Europe anyway.

As far as i can tell Pardew has some say in the targets, Carr scouts players and sees some he likes, makes a list and gives it to Pardew, then Pardew selects who he likes from that list.

The bit that falls down is the board trying to sign the players after that.

For that we'd need someone with good football knowledge to make the call. I'd be all for it if we did but without it we could easily end up with a Ramos situation at Spurs. That's my only concern with going abroad.

As far as i can tell Pardew has some say in the targets, Carr scouts players and sees some he likes, makes a list and gives it to Pardew, then Pardew selects who he likes from that list.

Get a sporting director and a head coach and be done with it  :lol:

Best of both worlds, have a coach who knows what he's doing and we are still bringing in quality players for that coach to get the most out of.

Just to use an example i despair at the moment knowing full well what someone like Laudrup would do with these players.

How we struggle to even get a point well to say it's a joke is the biggest understatement of all time tbh.

Guest bimpy474

Get a sporting director and a head coach and be done with it  :lol:

Best of both words, have a coach who knows what he's doing and we are still bringing in quality players for that coach to get the most out of.

Just to use an example i despair at the moment knowing full well what someone like Laudrup would do with these players.

How we struggle to even get a point well to say it's a joke is the biggest understatement of all time tbh.

:sadnod:

I was reading an interview with Martinez and i don't think he'll leave Wigan tbh unless he's sacked. He played there and now seems to really love it there and is big friends with Whelan. I think he'll go the way of Moyes if he keeps them in the premier league at least, maybe leave eventually but not soon. Would love him though here.

Obviously managers lie a lot but i dunno he seems too nice

Guest Slippery Sam

Laudrup is the one, or Martinez (cant see this as Dave Whelan hates Ashley).

Or Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.  Respected. Knows football at the top level. Has served an apprenticeship. Would be cheaper to recruit than the other two. However, as has been mentioned, having to work under Dekka and Ash is a massive problem.

Oh, by the way, I still hate OGS for his assault on Robert Lee that day.

Guest Phil K

.............though Pardew is trying his hardest to create more negatives.

Well thats ONE thing he's succeeding at - nothing else, "creating negatives"

On a general note can I just say how much I'm enjoying reading this thread - lots of diverse views but for the most part constructive suggestions and very little in the way of personal attacks (on each other I mean, Pardew is of course taking a bit of a kicking!)

I've been on very few forums that manage to remain so civilised on such emotive subjects.  :)

Or Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.  Respected. Knows football at the top level. Has served an apprenticeship. Would be cheaper to recruit than the other two. However, as has been mentioned, having to work under Dekka and Ash is a massive problem.

What has he done at managerial level?

Pardew has been the same his whole career as a manager. Blags it one or two seasons and then gets found out. No depth all gloss.

The realistic ans to this situation is add some quality to the coaching staff and keep Pards on as that bloke who sits at the front of the coach in charge of the tapedeck. ;)

Guest Slippery Sam

Back-to-back league titles with Molde. Yes, it's 'only' Molde and it's 'only' Norwegian football, but success is success.

Pardew has been the same his whole career as a manager. Blags it one or two seasons and then gets found out. No depth all gloss.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Football/Clubs/Club_Home/2011/4/18/1303155020293/Alan-Pardew-007.jpg

Back-to-back league titles with Molde. Yes, it's 'only' Molde and it's 'only' Norwegian football, but success is success.

Might be a future prospect but I can't see us taking a punt like that. I still prefer Poyet at this point because I've seen the right qualities in his team that we lack.

Guest Slippery Sam

Might be a future prospect but I can't see us taking a punt like that. I still prefer Poyet at this point because I've seen the right qualities in his team that we lack.

Yeah, he was in my thoughts as well.  But what we must remember is Ashley's desire to pay next to nothing (if anything at all) in compo for a new manager.  The reason I mentioned OGS chiefly is that I can't see Molde expecting too much in comp compared to other clubs?

For the record, I have never wanted Pardew and would sack him tomorrow. But that's just me.

Guest Phil K

Yeah. Was the main reason I didn't want him. He can go with the flow, but as soon as the waters get choppy, he hasn't a clue and will steer the same direction when it's clearly to disaster. By this time at other clubs he's out on his ear. He was maybe booted out before the disaster scenario began to unravel, like Southampton I think it was, but they benefited from him being booted out. This is a massive test for him now. Can he turn this mess of 75% his own making around ? I don't think so

Guest NobbyOhNobby

I think that was kind of the point he was making - the manager can say "look Danny and Mike, I want us to play incisive passing football so when you get the ball can you please pass it first time in a precise manner to a nearby player wearing the same colour shirt" If Danny and Mike prove incapable of doing this, what is your next choice?

If a player doesn't do what he's told you don't play them and if it wasn't down to the manager, why did Ben Arfa, Ba and Cabaye who regularly attend training think it was down to the manager?

Who do you play there instead ? Is it Pardews fault we have no one to play instead of Williamson, we have tried Perch, Raylor, Tavernier and Simpson there, none of them have made any improvement.  Your reply would be valid if Pardew persisted with these players whilst keeping Debuchy and Taylor on the bench and lets be honest Taylor is still not the answer.

Do you have any idea how Poyet managed to get Brighton playing passing football despite having footballers who are Championship standard?

They're a highly inconsistent championship side, and have been for the duration of Poyet's tenure - I think you're barking up the wrong tree with him.

I agree we need a manager with the attributes you've quoted, but you've based your opinion on two games against us as opposed to his managerial record in full.

I have to agree with Mick's earlier post, think that really hit the nail on the head re our predicament. I'm quickly reaching breaking point, and have completely lost any enthusiasm for this season. The QPR game was one of the worst matches I've ever been to, and that's been followed by one of the most embarrassing performances I've ever witnessed yesterday. Also, the inevitably of the Everton loss was so galling its untrue - I really don't think Pardew has an idea what he's doing.

Look at the majority of managers of teams in the bottom half. Most of them have players who wouldn't get into our teams, yet they are able to perform in the premier league due to an understanding of the system and philosophy that their manager is employing. They seem to have a style fundamentally understood, and players know what they are doing. The majority of footballers are simple beasts and are able to play to their maximum if they understand what is being asked of them. Look at Wigan, most of their players are individually poor and wouldn't get anywhere near our team. However, they all seem to understand what they're doing and play some terrific football at times. Imagine what somebody like Martinez could do with our team? Similarly look at West Ham, Norwich and Fulham - they just look better organised than we do and appear to have a system that all of the players understand. Our lot look like they've never met each other before and that's the fault of the coaching staff. The injury excuse is bollocks for me, because they've looked like that for the duration of pardew's stewardship with the exception of 6/7 games from the end of last season.

Ideally I'd want to replace him, but I share everyone's concerns about the club's ability to replace him with anyone other than some c*** like Kinnear

I might well be barking up the wrong tree with Poyet, I don't watch them regularly, I'm just basing it on the two games I've watched against us where they've shown quite a few of the attributes I think are missing in our side. One thing I will say is that it's impossible to play good football without good movement off the ball and they had that in plenty which made their players look much better than their worth and made passing much easier as a result.

We need a manager who will bring these qualities into the side. It doesn't have to be Poyet, by all means give us some other alternatives.

Martinez, mentioned him in my post. Think he's a really progressive manager who actually thinks about what he's doing, and has done well with the tools at his disposal. I think we've got no chance of getting him, though.

Considering the eight-year contract, our lot clearly believe they're cleverer than everyone else and that he'll turn things around given time. We'll see.