Alan Pardew

Dave

Its still a bit early to pass judgment on his handling of the new players - that will take a few more games - but we still look disjointed... a team of decent individuals rather than a decent team.

They looked far more organized for much of the time and we conceded far too much of the midfield to them - we once again sat back and invited presure rather than pressing them - sitting back is OK if you have speed merchants up front who can use their pace on the break, but only Gouffran falls into that category - Cisse is not quick over a distance and Gouffran was having to cover too much ground protecting Santon's flank.Players are not making runs into space often enough when we gain possession whereas they always seemed to have a player available to take a pass.

If this does not improve over the next few games, its Pardew's fault.

Aside fom the two pathetic start where our players was caught like rabbits in headlights, also noticed that most of our attack came from quick diagonal balls over the top. Granted not as bad as hoofball and can be a weapon when used effectively. But we need to vary things a bit, get control in midfield and bring the ball to our forward with more passing. We were for all intent and purposes playing a 4-5-1 for most of the game with Cisse upfront and only Gouf (and Debouchy for the penalty) making a break for those early balls over the top. A better team with centre backs sitting deeper or faster defenders to catch up would have neutralized this tactic. Just not sure we've got plan B except for Shola

We countered on the floor very well a few times today.

Must read the "if a better team" thing every week. It's up there with last seasons "luck".

We beat a good side today. We beat a better side in Chelsea. Can we stop with the pointless "Ifs", not many seem to do it when we lose.

I must have missed those counter attacks on the floor that you are referring to or you're dreaming. First 3 goals were all resulting from diagonal balls over the top i.e. Gouf for the 1st, Cisse for 2nd and Debuchy for penalty.

Never said Southampton was a bad team, in fact was quite impressed with their high tempo pressing and intricate passing. But there are at least a dozen other teams who are better than Southampton, at least that's what the league table tells us, so not sure what you're on. There's no escaping that most of our attacks yesterday was very one dimensional and its absolutely reasonable to say that a better team/manager would have realized this and changed things around to neutralize this approach play

Guest Dontooner

Wont be too negative about things, but since Sissoko and Gouffran, at least we have a counter attack.

Dont think much has changed tactically with Pardew still clueless with set penises and his love for some of his favorite players. Also doubt there is much input from Pardew when it comes to the attacking play.

However the players are responding to his cheer-leading and motivation is key variable to how the players perform.

Would still like a better number 2 to be added to help with the passing routines, we are pretty much still a improvise as we play team. Most teams with lesser players still play better football than us, all down to the Manager coaching .

At least when we get bombarded now, we have Gouffran, Sissoko and Ben Arfa to spark a counter attack.

Sissoko is clearly the center of the fold, being able to intelligently position himself and his the power and vision to open teams up.

Btw those who think Its was Pardew's Master Stroke to play Sissoko as a AM is talking rubbish, if you watch the French league, he plays either in the middle or the right and has always played a more attacking role, esp. on counter attacks.

However , i give Pardew praise for not converting him into a negative player...was kind of afraid he would be held back by Pardew. Happy to see Pardew was spot on with allowing Sissoko more leeway.

I question whether we work on Attacking play or general play at all in training as we look anything but a fluid outfit. We can't seem to retain possession very well, are far to static and generally our play breaks down far to easy. I think they just concentrate on defending and organisation which is quite hilarious as we leak goals left right and centre and look anything but organised.

Honestly don't really know what they do on training pitch, certainly not set pieces, counter attacking, movement or anything regarding a tactical plan

Guest icemanblue

Fuck off. Garbled stream of biased shite, that.

We're retaining possession better than we have all season. The movement of the team is on a whole new level, and we counter attack with frightening power and pace. Honestly, man, what are you on?

I question whether we work on Attacking play or general play at all in training as we look anything but a fluid outfit. We can't seem to retain possession very well, are far to static and generally our play breaks down far to easy. I think they just concentrate on defending and organisation which is quite hilarious as we leak goals left right and centre and look anything but organised.

Honestly don't really know what they do on training pitch, certainly not set pieces, counter attacking, movement or anything regarding a tactical plan

Agree with all of this - with players of the ability we have now, we should be playing faster mpre incisive football and retaining possession much better than we do.

We will never realize this squad's potential unless this is improved on.

Pure rubbish. We scored 4 goals yesterday yet we clearly don't work on our attacking play?

Unfortunately after our poor first half of the season, where Pardew admittedly made mistakes, it seems some people have simply decided he can do virtually nothing to redeem himself.

Pure rubbish. We scored 4 goals yesterday yet we clearly don't work on our attacking play?

Unfortunately after our poor first half of the season, where Pardew admittedly made mistakes, it seems some people have simply decided he can do virtually nothing to redeem himself.

I have watched every game this season, the only thing that has changed is the fact we have Sissokho, Gouffran and Debuchy which has altered the dynamics, however I maintain my stance that we clearly don't work on becoming a more fluid outfit, our moves do often break down to easily and our goals tend to come from some kind of luck rather than well thought out play.

We to often look like we don't have a clue when we have the ball. Yes it was a good win but we look anything but a fluid outfit imho.

And we certainly don't work on free kicks, it's always the same shitty routine for corners and free kicks.

Watch other teams Southampton included and how they break at teams and retain the ball for most part, look 10 times more dangerous than us (Yes I know we beat them). I have no doubt we are getting wins despite Pardew, not because of some well thought out plan by him, because that is not what I am seeing

I disagree about Saints being more dangerous. 2 very different styles. We like to get the ball up asap. They are happy to pass it between the CB's/GK for 50 passes before getting into the midfield.

If they had our players playing in their style, they would have taken us to the cleaners yesterday.

Time for some people to take off the Pardew B & W spectacles......

I reckon you ought to be asking the fans of W.Ham, Charlton and Southampton whether they think Pardew can 'redeem hinself'....

Their replies would be interesting - bet the Saints wouldn't want him back despite losing yesterday....

Guest icemanblue

Scraping the fucking barrel, man. Even if we went unbeaten until the middle of next season, people will still be desperately trying to pick faults to save face. :lol:

Guest icemanblue

Not at all. He's made numerous mistakes this season. I said it before January, that we'd get our better players back, strengthen where we needed to and start climbing the table. To give the credit for this to the new players only, is grossly unfair. Especially so, considering that two of them are being played 'out of position'.

I think a lot of people on here are in an awkward position caused by their own comments. They will simply not praise him, or give credit where it's obviously due, in order to save face.

*EDIT: Cheers for deleting your post, Phil. :lol:

We can play very well, but we're also very inconsistent in our play during the games. We've done much better lately, and hopefully we can find som consistent fluidity in the near future. Which might very well happen as the team gels and HBA comes back and puts us up on another level

He's done a lot better of late, but there's still work to be done (there always is tbf). Simply getting Cabaye, Tiote and Sissoko a bit more organised positionally would go a long way in helping us defend better, and simplifying how we pressure opponents would too.

I don't agree that we don't look good in attack however, we counter brilliantly. Southampton were very well organised yesterday and were tough to break down, they spent 40 minutes in their own half for the first and stifled Cabaye well (although the fact he was having dizzy spells probably contributed just as much) but we still carved out some good openings. For me, the game highlighted that we're lacking a bit of spark in wide areas at times, someone who can get the ball on the line and create some extra space with some skill and drive. Gouffran is excellent on the counter attack and moves brilliantly off the ball but isn't the type to waltz past a couple of players and deliver a quality cross/pass/shot. We have HBA for that, if he'd have been playing yesterday, I think we would have smashed them.

I reckon you ought to be asking the fans of W.Ham, Charlton and Southampton whether they think Pardew can 'redeem hinself'....

Their replies would be interesting - bet the Saints wouldn't want him back despite losing yesterday....

Reading the Southampton forum yesterday they have nothing but praise for Pardew.

I think a lot of people on here are in an awkward position caused by their own comments. They will simply not praise him, or give credit where it's obviously due, in order to save face.

You are utterly deluded if you think critics of Pardew are now having to eat their words.

He is an incredibly limited manager and it would be a travesty if this set of players only ever get to play under him.

Guest icemanblue

You are utterly deluded if you think critics of Pardew are now having to eat their words.

He is an incredibly limited manager and it would be a travesty if this set of players only ever get to play under him.

I didn't use that phrase so, no, it's not what I think. It may well come to that, like.

It's probably a coincidence that we're doing much better just after we bought 4/5 seemingly fantastic players. The last 6 months of absolute shite have just been a mere blip.

I still don't think we've turned the corner yet either ftr. Our current situation is like Forrest Gump being given a box of Rubik's cubes.

I didn't use that phrase so, no, it's not what I think. It may well come to that, like.

I will praise him for certain things and think he has integrated the new players well and they look at home, shows good man management at times and has got more out of our weaker players at times. He falls down constantly with his tactical abilities though and ability to change games is extremely limited - Shola was getting ready just before the 3rd goal yesterday - which would have just led to his plan B of more aimless punts up field.

Now i'm not saying to sack him, I am just questioning what we do in training and we quite simply don't look fluid, we look like a bunch of individuals thrown together a lot of times. I would be expecting a lot more from the players we had on show yesterday and to be able to retain the ball a lot better

It's a tough one to properly assess Pardew's ability, especially without much knowledge of what goes on behind the scenes.

If we finish this season well, Pardew is looking at 1.5 good seasons and 0.5 bad seasons so far, so it's actually pretty good.

Obviously he has benefited from our new signings, but any manager relies on their players to a certain extent. He is maybe too cautious for my personal tastes, but as long as he lets our new players go out and play in most circumstances I'll be happy to back him. Every manager makes some individual decisions that fans don't like.