Alan Pardew

Dave

just a thought, but maybe we need a seperate pro Pardew thread, so anyone who wants talk about his merits can do so without a tirade of abuse from the haters  less than happy members.

That thread would be the smallest in forum history.

From the outside it's understandable that people think calling for his sacking is crazy. In normal circumstances everyone would leap to the defence of a manager who was sacked for one bad season after one exceptional one. We would probably be doing the same if another club was in question.

Not if we did our research we wouldn't.

Who gives a shit what other people think, anyway? We know best because we watch every minute of the shit served up and we've been watching for years. What do the pundits who see two minute highlights know about us that we don't?

Guest Howaythetoon

We will never ever win the league without a huge injection of cash along the lines of what has happened at Man City and Chelsea and with a top top manager in charge. Forget it, basically. We should however be more than capable of achieving a regular top 6 finish and to realistically threaten for a top 4 place now and again. We cannot compete with Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea and Arsenal but surely we can compete with Spurs, Liverpool and Everton?!

If anyone at NUFC thinks otherwise they shouldn't be at the club. Top ten is not a place in the table that sets my pulses racing. Top 6 should always be the bear minimum of what we should expect or look to achieve, ALWAYS!

Otherwise what's the fucking point?

Don't see why we can't challenge for the title if we have a good 2-3 year cycle. We just have to keep on leveraging our development. If we get into the top 4, improve our commercial deals then we can become a fixture in the top 5. Then it's just one season of luck with injuries and other small things and we won't be far from competing. Let's say 90 points wins the title. If you can win 17 games at home then you're only short roughly 35 points. That's about ten wins away from home, eminently possible. We once won 14 at home with SBR iirc. It's not impossible. It's not going to happen in the next two or three years but beyond that I wouldn't close the possibility.

to those saying that no-one was complaining last season (HappyFace for one)

the foreshadowing from back last season is uncanny (in Febuary)

voted good twice before. voted ok this time. The more time you give, the more you learn obviously and I haven't seen anywhere near enough fluidity from us or attacking intent. I forgave the poor performances at the start-middle of the season because players were gelling and there was a lot to be worked out, obviously the results were superb and I just thought 'wow, we're getting these results and we're not even close to being a team yet' but as time has gone on, we've not looked anymore like a team and players have played far worse than their talent suggests they can play. I'm worried about our style of play and have been for a few months and it's not results that will change that for me, but performances. I am disappointed, more so because I feel we were sold a few cheap lies by Pardew about our style of play.

I've slept on it without posting about Pardew. This isn't kneejerk, but i'm sick of him.

Yes we're 6th (WELL DONE PARDEW!!!!!!This is ALL because of you. We were in the Championship 2 years ago don't you know?), but i can count on one gangrenous hand how many games where we have deserved to win/get something out of this season.

Pardew really is a Southern Allardyce with patter. At least Allardyce said he'd play hoofball. Pardew uses his salesman-like patter to tell us that we're a team that plays a good possession football, when in truth we're just a team full of hard grafters with the odd moment of individual brilliance.

I couldn't wait for half time, and thought well we'll come out better in the second half. No way on earth did we deserve 2 goals from our 3 shots, yet we got them. I turned to my dad at the start of the second half and said i bloody hope this isn't going to be a repeat of Stoke under Kinnear. And yet it was.

The bloke really is clueless, and there's no point regurgitating what's already been said but i can see the crowd turning on him next season. We'll probably finish 7th or 8th which will be a great success. However, next season we'll (he) be find out and the majority of fans will turn on him. Yo0u can tell already from the comments in this thread.

The last couple of weeks HTT has been shot down. Funny that people are agreeing with him this week...

There are tens of these  :lol:

If we get into the top 4

:lol: Yao Ming laughing on the Moon.

You have to win matches to get into the Top 4. We don't win games. We have one look. We have one forward. You gotta stop one guy to beat us.

Ian W, bless you, I love the way you try to put your pro Pardew view across while trying your hardest to make it look like you are sitting on the fence about it.  You have your views and that is fine with me, I just like the way you try to brush it off as you are not bothered either way while trying to defend him.

I am pro-Pardew in that I think he has some good attributes and my opinion right now is that I wouldn't sack him for that reason and others not to do with him personally.

That's not sitting on the fence, that's a position that it takes a bit of intelligence to understand.

Better chat today anyway :thup:

How utterly condescending, nice one.

You go on like that and then you have the gall to moan and say the place has degenerated when people say "I told you so" after a fucking hammering off the mackems.

Well how long should I explain and re-explain the same position?

Obviously some people are ignoring it on purpose, which is fair enough I suppose.

Why don't you tell us what his good attributes are? You're happy to pour consistent scorn on the opinions of others yet I've never heard you explain exactly what it is about "Pards" that you like so much. I've had my say on tactics, coaching, fitness, the utter shit he talks 100% of the time etc.

The floor is yours. Why, in your opinion, is he the man to get NUFC playing exciting and successful football?

I don't pour scorn on anyone's opinions, in fact that's exactly what I try not to do. It just gets tiring trying to explain the same position again and again and dispel myths about my views all the time. Sometimes I get dragged into the wrong sort of debate I suppose.

I'm not sure it's worth me listing any positive points, but they include stuff like being able to work with the board, being liked by the players, having achieved a decent amount last season, being generally a professional figurehead for the club (less so when under pressure I admit). Also a lack of desire to get back on the managerial merry-go-round.

But we have discussed those to death already and I know you'll just laugh at them.

I don't necessarily think he will get us playing exciting football, I don't think I've ever argued that. But he might get us playing football that is generally solid but produces enough exciting moments to make a good season.

Anyway, in general I think you're a really sound poster but I wish we could have a normal chat without it getting antsy.

It's not a question of laughing at them, they're simply not things I care about in a football manager. I don't care about a figurehead, or that the players like him, and I certainly could not care less about either a managerial merry-go-round or what he did last season - Spurs finished in a Champions League spot (:lol:) but knew that Redknapp couldn't take them any further - you would have thought they were mental to do that if you didn't dislike Redknapp. I would have been over the moon for us to have done the same last summer, absolutely jumping for joy, to try and improve from a winning position instead of what we always do, trying to salvage something from a losing one.

I want a manager who attacks teams, who thinks that the way to win games is to score more than the other team, but also has the tactical nous to do something different when he has to, who can mix the play up to avoid predictability and who is extremely positive in attitude. That is not and will never be Pardew.

You're probably right, we're never going to agree on the issue because we're coming from completely different starting positions. I've said this before because people say I'm "negative" when in truth I'm one of the most positive people on here because I think the ultimate aim should be to win the title while it's actually those who claim to be optimists that will generally be pleased as punch to finish 8th. A decent season where we play solid uninspiring football but with some exciting moments is simply not what I want from NUFC. Unrealistic? Possibly. Some Spurs fans would probably have said the same ten years ago but they keep edging closer. They'll more than likely never get there but at least they're having a go.

Fantastic post that.

I don't have time to make a massive response, but TBH not many of those points deserve any disagreement.

I'm a pragmatist rather than an optimist really. Of course I agree that the ultimate aim for NUFC should be real, tangible success. But I also know that the nature of football has changed and the title is effectively in the hands of a couple of clubs with rich foreign owners.

I admit I probably would be happy with a season like last season again, maybe that's wrong. But we've been through so much utter crap recently that just delivering some enjoyable moments genuinely was enough for me. Longer-term, I would want to see some progress towards more, like you say.

Ultimately would I fire Pardew and replace him with Laudrup tomorrow? Yes, it would be hard to argue against that. Ideally I would want better football then Pardew provides. But I'm also wary of things going the other way, considering the massive mess the club has been in in the recent past.

Like I said earlier as well, good chat today :thup:

We will never ever win the league without a huge injection of cash along the lines of what has happened at Man City and Chelsea and with a top top manager in charge. Forget it, basically. We should however be more than capable of achieving a regular top 6 finish and to realistically threaten for a top 4 place now and again. We cannot compete with Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea and Arsenal but surely we can compete with Spurs, Liverpool and Everton?!

If anyone at NUFC thinks otherwise they shouldn't be at the club. Top ten is not a place in the table that sets my pulses racing. Top 6 should always be the bear minimum of what we should expect or look to achieve, ALWAYS!

Otherwise what's the f***ing point?

We finished above Chelsea last season. I get your point but if things fall into place there's still the possibility of us overtaking one or two of those teams, albeit for a year or two. Spurs challenged for the title last season without investin City or Chelsea-esque money.

Otherwise what's the fucking point?

How can you say we can't compete with Spurs but can with Arsenal when the two have been neck and neck for years now?

Arsenal are the elephant in the room when people talk about needing spending power to get up there and stay there. They're a very rich club (pay good wages, even if that wage structure is very flawed) but never ever near the top of the transfer fees league table, usually right down at the bottom - yet they're looking good for 17 consecutive CL qualifications. That is what a great manager and a fantastic youth policy can do.

Have Dortmund spent money comparable to City/Chelsea (genuine question, I have no idea)? We all know Barcelona's top players are mainly produced on their own patch. Money isn't the be-all and end-all but certainly the Premier League thinks that it is, and that's why it's important we shouldn't be defeatist, because it is do-able without a Sheikh.

It's definitely possible to compete for the top 4 without massive money, that's what we did last year after all. 

(Disclaimer: not a dig or owt.)

not anymore according to Pardew.

Pardew said a few days ago we are only 2 signings away from a top ten side.

It's definitely possible to compete for the top 4 without massive money, that's what we did last year after all. 

Or 1 manager

He does tend to talk shite when he's under pressure.

but we were a top 5 side and made how many signings?    :icon_scratch:

We added 5 players to the squad he claimed would compete for a Champions League place this season and now he needs another 2 to compete for top 10 next season.  :lol:

We added 5 players to the squad he claimed would compete for a Champions League place this season and now he needs another 2 to compete for top 10 next season.  :lol:

I have to admit I see a flaw in his logic.

Guest bimpy474

He's just full of shit, it just adds to the "control the midfield you control the game" and "fast front foot football". And my favourite last summer " we intend to sort out the set penises".

Full of shit.

what ive notice is that he's been consistent with his drilling of inferiority complex into the players and the fan base.

his method to control expectation i guess, and mostly to cover his own arse and ineptitude when the inevitable s*** hitting the fan happens.

That was cool when it was our first season back from the Championship.

Now this mantra is getting old and unacceptable.

If you like (unsuccessfully) sitting on 1-0 leads and taking great solace in 'hard fought' draws then he's then man to go to. For me I'm pik sick of those things and to boot he's evasive and ignorant.

no you bring this guy in if you are partial to the odd relegation dogfight