Four MASSIVE months

Guest BooBoo

Guest BooBoo

Personally I am in the what will be will be camp atm...can't affect it so no point worrying.

What is really pissing me off are the blatant attempts by the manager, players and local press to instill a small club mentality..."oh woe is me, what will we do if big bad - Insert anyclub willing to pay going rate - comes knocking for one of our 'big' players".

The very fact that they are naming players they 'fear' bids coming in for smacks of inviting bids imo..

It's irritating and the cynic in me thinks it used as a deflection for the lack of incoming deals.

"I fear a bid", "I expect a bid", "we've not lost anyone...yet", "keeping our big names is the most important thing", "I'm still haunted by the Andy Carroll saga".

Shaddup man.

Guest neesy111

On the striker front, we are not after 1st team strikers but it'll be totally unfair to have to call up upon academy players like Campbell if we go through an injury crisis upfront.

I'm guessing the club is after quality not quantity but we need 1 striker badly imo.

Who beyond Debuchy are we strongly linked with who could improve our first team?

Its all dependant on injuries & the only guy id REALLY worry about replacing is the CB who hasnt had a long term injury in 7+ years or whatever it is. The rest have shown they are capable enough.

Arsenal, Spurs & Pool have all equally had dodgy starts for the likes of Everton & Swansea who look stronger. The worrying is OTT.

Guest neesy111

Who beyond Debuchy are we strongly linked with who could improve our first team?

Its all dependant on injuries & the only guy id REALLY worry about replacing is the CB who hasnt had a long term injury in 7+ years or whatever it is. The rest have shown they are capable enough.

Arsenal, Spurs & Pool have all equally had dodgy starts for the likes of Everton & Swansea who look stronger. The worrying is OTT.

So who will be available to play upfront if Senegal qualify for the African Cup of Nations?  Shola that's it.  Least we had Best and Lovenkrands last season.

Douglas maybe, the rest of the first team is very strong imo but we do need another forward.

Not worried about the midfield if it's used correctly as it's very strong.

The concern i have is behind Cisse and Ba there's nobody and a weak link at RB has still not been rectified and if Saylor gets a long term injury i don't want to see Williamson being relied upon for so long.

Hopefully Ben Arfa, Cisse and Santon having full season's etc etc will be enough to make sure we don't go backwards.

As pointed out already the main concern is in this league if you don't improve then you go backwards.

It's about strength in depth.  Our first 11 (right back aside) I'm happy with.  Inevitable injuries to key player will hurt us. 

It's about strength in depth.  Our first 11 (right back aside) I'm happy with.  Inevitable injuries to key player will hurt us. 

Debuchy would go a long way to satisfy my expectations for this summer and excite me for the season.

Carroll on top of that would be impressive. What bothers me is that we're probably focusing on the Carroll deal because it represents some sentimental and personal value to Ashley, whereas Debuchy would improve us in the only position we're actually in actual need of some improvement.

Otherwise the squad needs to be put into perspective. While we definately overachieved last season - it's going to be hard to better those results regardless of who we sign in the next few days - the players have had time to gel even more.

Krul is still our goalkeeper, he's gained a year of experience and established himself.

Our back four is better than last year because Santon has got a year of experience and Perch has improved significantly. We might also get a full season out of Steven Taylor.

In midfield, we've practically switched Guthrie for Anita, who could well turn out to be a very good player. Guthrie is still a loss, but Anita will be very, very useful. On top of that, we have Ben Arfa fully fit from the start, Marveaux back playing and Bigirmana who looks promising.

The strikeforce looks a bit weakened. I don't think Lövenkrands departure means anything, but Best played a quite big role last year. It's hard to judge what impact the emergence of Campbell will have as we have no idea to what extent he features in Pardew's plans, but with him being an option, Cissé, Ba and Shola, we will manage bar the ACN. Signing Carroll would mean we go into the season with one of the best strikeforces in the league.

Guest Wally_McFool

Every year we go through the same thing with this regime though, and every year people moan about it, and every year we get better. One of these days the penny's going to drop with a lot of people that for the most part they actually know what they're doing.

I have no doubt at all that Ashley and Llambias know what they're doing.

It's just who they are "doing it for" that slightly concerns me.

:D

Nobodies being a drama queen, we just want the club to show a mild bit of ambition. We've got a great chance if moving the club forward and it would be disappointing to pass that up.

Yep, we are in Europe and are a fairly attractive club to join at the moment and I hope Ashley and co capitalize on this to sign some more quality players whilst they can.

Lovenkrands played wide most of the time anyway and Marveaux is a much better option.

What we are missing is an attacking fullback, upgrade on Best and competition for Saylor, if we could have got that then it would be considered a 10/10 window tbh.

I'd just take the attacking fullback now tbh  :D

We bought Woodgate in the January but Shepherd admitted there was money in the summer pre Partizan but that we chose not to spend.

Anyhow, off topic.

Balls did he, we bought Woodgate in the Jan and then had fck all else left unless we qualified for the champions league proper.

It wasn;t until after new sponsorship was sorted out did we start spending again. Unfortunately for us, the money was handed to Souness and Shepherd also had to much say.

Nothing will happen and we will go backwards as a result.

Anita is the Bowyer of 2012.

Anita isn't the new Bowyer.  :lol:

As in we should have pushed on and bought more than 1 first team player is what i meant.

It will be another missed opportunity IMO.

We didnt have a pot to p*ss in that season, hence why bowyer came in on a free.

We failed to qualify for the champions league and we were left with no money.

Mega difference, we were expecting to be around 4th-5th that year, this season we weren't expecting it pre-season.

If I'm honest I'm very nervous about this window. I tend to be the optimist in life but the end of the transfer window really does worry me given what happened THAT January when we lost the big fella.  But for all we know, bids may have come the past January and we heard nothing of the sort and nobody was sold.  So who knows really.

I'll agree with those who say this is a critical four days and say that it will be an achievement to keep the squad in place together, sure, but a real missed opportunity to PUSH on with 1-3 critical signings in the need positions of RB, CB, and Striker to bolster this squad up when many of the clubs we are in the same mix with (Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool, and Everton) are all looking to build or rebuild.  The worst that could happen is all of those clubs make a few signings and we are left stagnant or worse....

Our current back up options:

Upfront: Barfa, Marv (Obviously not upfront in a 2, but we have several formation options)

Wing: Marv, Obertan

CM: Anita, Jonas, Perch

RB: Perch, Santon, Raylor

LB: Anita, Perch, Raylor

CB: Williamson, Perch.

You look at our first choice back up, its relatively strong.

Guest BooBoo

We bought Woodgate in the January but Shepherd admitted there was money in the summer pre Partizan but that we chose not to spend.

Anyhow, off topic.

Balls did he, we bought Woodgate in the Jan and then had fck all else left unless we qualified for the champions league proper.

It wasn;t until after new sponsorship was sorted out did we start spending again. Unfortunately for us, the money was handed to Souness and Shepherd also had to much say.

I'm afraid you're wrong. Shepherd quite famously said "we've decided to keep our powder dry". If we were so skint why did we give Bowyer such a massively lucrative contract?

Imo, it's really the matter whether the new commings are better then the ones left. As Amalfitano seems to be playing out wide or as a wide forward. We got anita, bigi, vuckic whom are three totally different playstyles and can all give us something abit different. But as said earlier, 3 spots are pressing, backup cb, right back and an forward.

Guest BooBoo

Starting to get nervous now like. :(

When Tooj (one of the most level headed and panic free merchants on here) is getting nervous, you know it's time to start cracking each others heads open and feast on the goo inside.