Four MASSIVE months

Guest BooBoo

The summer went a bit like last summer, linked with lots of exciting names like Gamerio, Erding, Gervinho, Matuidi etc.. where are we going to fit them all!!?? Then as the weeks went by players ruled themselves out/moved elsewhere we sold and replaced a couple then we were just getting desperate to get someone through the door. Ba was  ok for backup but we still needed a first choice centre forward, Cabaye people were happy with but would he replace Nolan's goals, we haven't replaced Barton...

Guest BooBoo

Going by that, we'll get a full back in on Thursday but another deadline day will pass with no incoming deals and everyone will be left vaguely dissatisfied.

Didn't Otter used to run around the forum pointing and laughing at people who got narked at anything and weren't as cool and care-free as him?  Or was that just the stadium-naming thing?  Genuinely interested because he seems to be Ottering himself at the moment.

Guest BooBoo

Didn't Otter used to run around the forum pointing and laughing at people who got narked at anything and weren't as cool and care-free as him?  Or was that just the stadium-naming thing?  Genuinely interested because he seems to be Ottering himself at the moment.

I think it was just the stadium thing, which I'll admit I was never particularly bothered about.

Edit- and the strips. I'm never arsed about what they look like as long as they are black and white.

I think it was just the stadium thing, which I'll admit I was never particularly bothered about.

Ah OK, thanks for clarifying that you weren't thoroughly obnoxious about every NUFC issue then. :lol:

Tbh I'm also a bit peeved but not as much as I'd have thought I'd have been.  If you know what I mean.  In other words I was very fucked off when we just signed Bowyer that summer, I was even very annoyed when we failed to sign a centre half in January just gone but I'm not that angry this time.  Signings to push us on would be nice but as for quality cover, touch wood we seem to be just about getting away with it.  It'll fall down like a house of cards at some point of course.

At the moment, our main objectives should be: securing qualification to the Europa League group stages; losing none of our key players and securing at least two new signings.

Firstly, it would be a travesty if we mess up on Thursday, we should win like but I shudder at the thought of us not qualifying for the Group Stages especially when we worked so hard to get in this position in the first place. The players have to give it their full attention and the performance has to be professional.

Secondly, I sincerely hope we won't be in a position come Friday where we're selling one of our top players for £20 million + with no sign of a replacement on the horizon. Btw, I really don't understand how some people deem Tiote to be an expendable asset. I, for one, would be gutted to see him leave and that's because, for me, he adds an extra bit of bite in midfield. I see him as a proper enforcer in the centre of the park and we definitely missed him on Saturday. We would definitely be losing a bit of the core of the team if we were to let him go.

Finally, it is important that we sign at least two more players so that we're "properly" prepared for this season. In terms of importance, I would sign a striker before any other player. If anything were to happen to Ba/Cisse, we would be left with Shola, Sammy and Campbell - Shola is an impact player at best, Sammy and Campbell are still young so it would be probably be too much to expect them to perform straightaway. It's therefore imperative we secure a striker and do you know what, Carroll coming back wouldn't be the worst idea in the world despite my initial opinion about it all. For the right price, Carroll's return could be a decent one. (If we sign Rhodes then we can scrap the Carroll idea mind ;)). Signing a new RB (ie. Debuchy) is also an important thing for us to do - Simpson, as much as he's decent defensively, he doesn't really offer much in terms of attacking play. We need someone to link up with Ben Arfa down the right and Debuchy seems to be the right fit.

So, the next four days, bring them on.

Yeh, definitely starting to panic now. I've no doubt that our targets are attainable but I fear we're too stubborn as negotiators and lacking that flexibility you need for deadline week. I don't think we'll sell anyone but fear we'll bring in one player maximum - and it won't be Debuchy.

Would love to be proven wrong but this regime has a habit of delivering disappointing deadline days (January 09, January 11, August 11).

The thing is we have only really lost Best and not replaced him so far, the way some go on we have sold the majority of the team that finished 5th and are going into the season with a really shit squad.

Not sure where the panic is, if we had lost a few key players and still not replaced them I could understand but so far we are better off than we were last year if only to the simple fact our players (including the development squad) have a further year development, we have Anita & Amalfitano and Good/Bigi are more than likely better than the youth options we had last season.

Guest BooBoo

Ashley needs to realise that his ultra hardball approach to buying players is always going to have limited success. Not always, but sometimes you have to be prepared to compromise if you think a player is worth it.

We seem to have struggled this year as we've been buying players without the aid of them being free agents or having release clauses.

I'm not panicking as such, it's just that, for me, if we want to emulate the success of last season, then it is important that we strengthen (which the other teams around us seem to have done).

Btw, if we miss out on a new RB/CB, then I would be just about content with the options we have available but I would insist that we play a 4-3-3 so that any weaknesses we do have are compensated for.

Striker first, other positions second.

Think its gonna drift off into nothingness this transfer window. No one in no one out, which although not ideal is not totally disastrous. Really hope they somehow get Debuchy in, the feel good factor would be immense off that one transfer.

The sooner it closes the better. The uncertainty surrounding the transfer window is an unpleasent distraction for players, even more so at Newcastle, where not a day goes by where someone is leaving. Could explain why Cabaye & Cisse look a little sluggish, although with only 3 games gone and fitness issues to consider its a very paranoid way of percieving things. 

Strange way of seeing it but after friday our season can truly begin if you like. Tough start out the way and a clear picture in terms of our squad and upcoming fixtures. Hope Pardew puts a very strong team out on thursday night, no arsing about with rotation.

Seriously, this thread and the Summer so far or whatever it is called are exactly the same and confusing a thick like me :lol:

Was just thinking that, i know i'm going to post the same thing twice in both threads :lol:

Yep :lol:

Pretty sure I am responding to a point I made in this thread in the other thread, unless I made the same point twice!  :laugh:

Guest Mantis

If Senegal qualify for the finals of the ACON are we going to make problems for ourselves in January if we don't get another striker in before Friday? It isn't like you can rely on Shola being fit week in week out.

If Senegal qualify for the finals of the ACON are we going to make problems for ourselves in January if we don't get another striker in before Friday? It isn't like you can rely on Shola being fit week in week out.

Aye, the two Ameobis and Campbell cannot cover that up, imo. We need a striker, preferably in this window so we can get them while they aren't cup-tied for the cup or Europe.

Or for even being a striker

Nobodies being a drama queen, we just want the club to show a mild bit of ambition. We've got a great chance if moving the club forward and it would be disappointing to pass that up.

Every year we go through the same thing with this regime though, and every year people moan about it, and every year we get better. One of these days the penny's going to drop with a lot of people that for the most part they actually know what they're doing.

Besides, we are showing ambition, signing one of Ajax's best players and a bunch of very promising youngsters, and providing we don't lose any big players (that's a game changer) that is a massive signal of intent!

I just think people sometimes need to step back and appreciate where we are and how good our squad actually is.

:thup: