Four MASSIVE months

Guest BooBoo

Nothing will happen and we will go backwards as a result.

Anita is the Bowyer of 2012.

Anita isn't the new Bowyer.  :lol:

As in we should have pushed on and bought more than 1 first team player is what i meant.

It will be another missed opportunity IMO.

Guest BooBoo

I'll be gutted for Pardew if we don't reward his achievements last year with the players he so clearly needs. He's deserved to be backed a lot more and if we don't make any inroads, it'll be him who's shoved out to take the press criticism.

Bowyer was pretty much useless though, expect far more from Anita.

Bowyer was our best attacking midfielder in the hugely depressing 04-05 and decent 05-06. A big reason we stayed up after the former and got 7th with the latter. Not his fault we didn't take advantage of that.

Main thing that gripes me with our policy at present is with all these promising youth players brought every year, next to none of them ever see many first team opportunities.  It's difficult to get excited about their arrivals as you fear they will never get used, other than very sparingly.

Mehdi Abeid was considered a 'real gem' of a player and he must be 5th or 6th choice CM nowadays.  With maybe one start all last season IIRC.  Won't go into the others but you get my jist.

Nothing will happen and we will go backwards as a result.

Anita is the Bowyer of 2012.

Anita isn't the new Bowyer.  :lol:

As in we should have pushed on and bought more than 1 first team player is what i meant.

It will be another missed opportunity IMO.

We didnt have a pot to piss in that season, hence why bowyer came in on a free.

We failed to qualify for the champions league and we were left with no money.

Main thing that gripes me with our policy at present is with all these promising youth players brought every year, next to none of them ever see many first team opportunities.  It's difficult to get excited about their arrivals as you fear they will never get used, other than very sparingly.

Mehdi Abeid was considered a 'real gem' of a player and he must be 5th or 6th choice CM nowadays.  With maybe one start all last season IIRC.  Won't go into the others but you get my jist.

It takes time.

Guest BooBoo

What? We did qualify for the Champions League that season. We knew we had a qualifying game and that would see us through to the group stage. We'd had a hugely profitable CL campaign the season before yet in the summer we only signed Bowyer (already carrying a 6 game Euro suspension) and promptly ballsed up v Partizan. One or two key signings that summer and we would have had too much for Partizan, instead Shepherd "kept his powder dry".

What? We did qualify for the Champions League that season. We knew we had a qualifying game and that would see us through to the group stage. We'd had a hugely profitable CL campaign the season before yet in the summer we only signed Bowyer (already carrying a 6 game Euro suspension) and promptly ballsed up v Partizan. One or two key signings that summer and we would have had too much for Partizan, instead Shepherd "kept his powder dry".

Shepherd had fucked the finances up hadn't he.

Guest BooBoo

We bought Woodgate in the January but Shepherd admitted there was money in the summer pre Partizan but that we chose not to spend.

Anyhow, off topic.

Bowyer was pretty much useless though, expect far more from Anita.

Bowyer was our best attacking midfielder in the hugely depressing 04-05 and decent 05-06. A big reason we stayed up after the former and got 7th with the latter. Not his fault we didn't take advantage of that.

Despite being excited by his signing he was a big let down his entire time here imo.

Guest BooBoo

Nobodies being a drama queen, we just want the club to show a mild bit of ambition. We've got a great chance if moving the club forward and it would be disappointing to pass that up.

Some bloody drama queens on this board like.

Our current squad is on par if not better than last year with the new talented youngsters and Anita joining. I agree we could do with a striker, but we do still have Ba, Cisse, Shola, Ben Arfa (who could do a job off a striker) so its certainly not disastrous if we dont get one.

Defence wise it would be nice to get a RB but Simpson is nowhere near as bad as people make out. Sure he's the weakest player in our team but if the club think they can get a better deal on someone like Debuchy in the summer then I'm not fussed. Plus, Anita could potentially play there.

People just like to moan it seems. If we sign no players and lose none then it's still been a decent window in my eyes. If we get one more player that would be nice, but it's certainly not anything to lose sleep over if we don't.

The teams we'll be challenging this season will not be on a par with last season though so we will need to be better than we were to stand still.

No one's moaning IMO just disappointed that an opportunity to go further has been missed..... it's more frustration more than moaning.

Obviously it won't go tits up like last time as the club as a whole is in better shape but it's still a missed opportunity IMO.

That's if no one comes in the next 4 days.

Guest neesy111

You never ever stand still in football, just look at the teams around us and how they've strengthened.

We got rid of 2 strikers in the summer and still have no replacements, not exactly good planning that?

This just reminds of 03/04 where we just stood still and paid the price for a ridiculously long time after.

Guest neesy111

Some bloody drama queens on this board like.

Our current squad is on par if not better than last year with the new talented youngsters and Anita joining. I agree we could do with a striker, but we do still have Ba, Cisse, Shola, Ben Arfa (who could do a job off a striker) so its certainly not disastrous if we dont get one.

Defence wise it would be nice to get a RB but Simpson is nowhere near as bad as people make out. Sure he's the weakest player in our team but if the club think they can get a better deal on someone like Debuchy in the summer then I'm not fussed. Plus, Anita could potentially play there.

People just like to moan it seems. If we sign no players and lose none then it's still been a decent window in my eyes. If we get one more player that would be nice, but it's certainly not anything to lose sleep over if we don't.

The teams we'll be challenging this season will not be on a par with last season though so we will need to be better than we were to stand still.

:thup:

The club, squad , finances, direction are all so much better than that summer we fucked up champions league qualification. no comparison imo.

Disagree,  iirc our finances were Ok at that point which was what made the whole Bowyer situation so annoying.  That was the time to push the boat out but they didn't.  Had he given Bobby half the money he gave later gave Souness, this club would probably be in a completely different place. 

Personally I am in the what will be will be camp atm...can't affect it so no point worrying.

What is really pissing me off are the blatant attempts by the manager, players and local press to instill a small club mentality..."oh woe is me, what will we do if big bad - Insert anyclub willing to pay going rate - comes knocking for one of our 'big' players".

The very fact that they are naming players they 'fear' bids coming in for smacks of inviting bids imo..

We overachieved even by the fans standards last season, so whilst we have that firm foundation we should have got 3 quality players early on to allow them to bed in during pre season.

Now we are pinning our hopes that we don't loose someone and at the same time a club will cave in and take a low offer not much more than what they considered an insult in the firstplace.

Not holding my breath.

Another thing to think about is HBA and Santon will both get a full season which they didn't last year and hopefully we will have Marveaux available a lot more.

Best is the biggest loss imo. Our midfield is +2 (or +3 if you include Marveaux) and I am sure Good will have more involvement than Kadar did. Guthrie was excellent last season but he was often partnered with Cabaye which wasn't the best partnership, Anita will be more suited imo.