Let's not get too depressed

Tiresias

I'm as disappointed as anyone by the transfer window. But let's not lose sight of what made last season so great, last season felt like we were just having fun in the league, no-one expected too much but the squad gelled and everything worked. We've still got that squad that was waaaay more likeable than what had come before for a while. We're in Europe. We may not be best prepared but oh well, Pards may stubbonly prefer a s*** 4-4-2 but he's ultimately proved well able to manage us well.

All I mean is, while we may not match last season, please let's not all get incredibly wound up about getting 5th? It's reasonable to expect us to be of similar quality but I don't want to go back to being pent up with worry. Transfer window is out the way whatever now, howay the lads and lets just have a good go at it again?

Who's with me  :p

Well at least it's over with now. It's the hope that kills you. :lol:

A nice performance and result at the weekend will hopefully have everyone marvelling at our cracking side once again. :indi:

Might as well copy and paste my post from another thread....

Very disappointed, but i'm happy it's all over now we can now focus on the players we do have.

We still have a good squad and in Europe ( yes Europe ffs !) no reason to get down in the dumps.

It's time to get behind the lads and forget all this terrible mess and hopefully they will give us another season to be proud of.

Yes it's disappointing we did'nt take the opportunity to push in, but no reason to get too disillusioned we still have a very good team and one i'm sure will do everything they can to make his proud.

:indi:

Just booked up for Bruges today, so actually feeling good.

No big losses, settled team, Ben Arfa, Colo, Cisse etc, a capable manager, plenty to look forward to this season. Would have liked a couple of extra players but hey ho.

Some of these fuckers don't know they're born.

FWIW this just proves that the cynical people aren't always wrong and their opinions should be respected. I doubt that it'll be taken on board by the usual lot though.

Depends, if it is the 4th July 'we aint gonna sign no cunt' brigade or the Otter type who is deliberately trolling then it shouldn't be taken on board because they play out the same routine every window.

Minimum 30 first team games will have been played by Jan 1st.

We've lost Taylor for all 30 and more. Who else will fall by the wayside? We won't need too many injuries until we sort the wheat from the chaff and we're into the players who aren't (yet) good enough to play at the level required.

See where we are Jan 1st.  A good win on Sunday should banish the immediate blues but I get the feeling as the games roll by the inactivity this window will come home to roost.

FWIW this just proves that the cynical people aren't always wrong and their opinions should be respected. I doubt that it'll be taken on board by the usual lot though.

The irony is that the cynical people (I was one of them not so long ago) are proven right again and again at the end of the transfer window. On the pitch, where it really matters, we've outdone ourselves the last few seasons however. Here's hoping it continues!

We've got a lot of players who need games, and they are going to get it. Our 1st team is of good standard, now we just need to bring on those that support it, and the youth players to also get their chance.

Pardew is a good manager in this situation, he rotates, gives people chances and seems to get the best out of the fringe players who helped make our season last year and will have a big say this time around. Instead of Perch, Raylor  & Guthrie taking us by surprise maybe it'll be Obertan, Bigi & Vuckic, or any one of the backup we have. What is certain is that Pardew has a great base to pool from in that respect and it'll be interesting to see if he can pull if off again.

We have Bigi, good, Amalfitano & Anita to select from who we disnt have last season. Perch is reliable and no one sees him as a weak link anymore, Obertan has made a more promising start this time round, while Sameobi, Vuckic, tav & Abeid. are much more closer to the squad this season.

Then there is Marv returning to fitness.

My major concern is the Ba/Cisse situation, something far more likely to sink our season than not signing a specific player.

Oh, and the silver lining to all these additional matches and a squad that's weak in numbers at the back and up top is the fact that we'll see much more of our younger development players this season, which is something to look forward to even if it means we may suffer some early cup heartbreak.

Edit: what TT said

Edit: he forgot young Shane Ferguson too

The irony is that the cynical people (I was one of them not so long ago) are proven right again and again at the end of the transfer window. On the pitch, where it really matters, we've outdone ourselves the last few seasons however. Here's hoping it continues!

We've arguably exceeded expectations in our last 2 seasons (3 if you think some people didn't think we'd come straight back up from the Championship), so how have they been proven right?

Guest NewBoyPeetah

After the Europa League draw I'd find it hard to be depressed today. Obviously I'd have liked signings so that takes the sheen off it a bit but life goes on.

We've arguably exceeded expectations in our last 2 seasons (3 if you think some people didn't think we'd come straight back up from the Championship), so how have they been proven right?

Proven right insofar that people who are pessimistic during the transfer window and get told by the "at least wait until the end of the window" brigade to hold their horses are proven right to be cynical of our transfer business when the window eventually shuts. I don't remember the last time I felt great at the end of a transfer window. Of course, as I said, where it matters, i.e. on the pitch, we've done really well in the last few seasons. Not sure why you're arguing, have a feeling you knew exactly what I meant.

We kept Xisco, that's all that matters

And Ranger is still here right? Imagine if Senegal get to the African Cup (sorry but what's the actual name of the tournament?) and Ameobi is injured (most likely),,then we will have Ranger - Xisco as forwards. Absolutely lethal.