Newcastle United 1 - 1 Aston Villa - 02/09/12 - post-match reaction from page 39

Dave

I borrow from a phrase used earlier but I think our first five games can be summarised by there being "something not quite right."

Just doesn't seem to be the same vibe as last season, yet.

Has a lot to do with Pardew trying to please our strikers by playing 4-4-2. I can actually see us going on a deep run if we switch to 4-3-3. Actually I believe we have the capability to fight out for a top 4 spot if no one gets injured and we do play with a midfield three and Ba - Cisse - Benny uptop like last season.

Has Pardew already forgotten WBA away? We were f***ing amazing then. Ba can still play left. He wont score and he wont like it, but just like at Swansea he and Cisse can swith it up a bit to help out defensively. It is obviously not the optimal, but we wont sell Ba and we wont get a new winger anyways so that the best we have. I also think Marveaux and Amalfitano would thrive in such a formation.

Problem this season is definitely 4-4-2 and no Tiote in the team. I mean Cabaye and Anita reminds me of when Guthrie and Barton played couple seasons back in the midfield. One overrunning the other and no one covering each other.

Not only there. Stoke at SJP was a fucking brilliant performance, Liverpool at home was more than decent as well.

It's there for everyone to see.

Not only the front trio, but the midfield - whether it contains Cabaye, Tioté, Jonas, Anita or Bigi - will be far more dynamic and controlling if we just allow them to be more than two people in there.

Hopefully it will come.

Pardew's comments about Shola for Everton suggests he might be willing to introduce some more muscle up front in order to win the physical battle that our long-ball 4-4-2 game requires.

Guest neesy111

I borrow from a phrase used earlier but I think our first five games can be summarised by there being "something not quite right."

Has a lot to do with Pardew trying to please our strikers by playing 4-4-2. I can actually see us going on a deep run if we switch to 4-3-3. Actually I believe we have the capability to fight out for a top 4 spot if no one gets injured and we do play with a midfield three and Ba - Cisse - Benny uptop like last season.

Has Pardew already forgotten WBA away? We were f***ing amazing then. Ba can still play left. He wont score and he wont like it, but just like at Swansea he and Cisse can swith it up a bit to help out defensively. It is obviously not the optimal, but we wont sell Ba and we wont get a new winger anyways so that the best we have. I also think Marveaux and Amalfitano would thrive in such a formation.

Problem this season is definitely 4-4-2 and no Tiote in the team. I mean Cabaye and Anita reminds me of when Guthrie and Barton played couple seasons back in the midfield. One overrunning the other and no one covering each other.

Not only there. Stoke at SJP was a fucking brilliant performance, Liverpool at home was more than decent as well.

Not only the front trio, but the midfield - whether it contains Cabaye, Tioté, Jonas, Anita or Bigi - will be far more dynamic and controlling if we just allow them to be more than two people in there.

Hopefully it will come.

Pardew's comments about Shola for Everton suggests he might be willing to introduce some more muscle up front in order to win the physical battle that our long-ball 4-4-2 game requires.

I think we need to go back to basics and that for me would be introducing Shola next to Ba and playing a solid 442.

Don't forget Dabizas. :smug:

Yeap even Andy O'Brien would pop up with a few, even Aaron Hughes on occasions.

Not really. :lol:

1860 away and scored from a Viana pass at home to Southampton.

Neither were corners. Think he might have got one against Norwich just before SBR was sacked?

Don't forget Dabizas. :smug:

Yeap even Andy O'Brien would pop up with a few, even Aaron Hughes on occasions.

Not really. :lol:

1860 away and scored from a Viana pass at home to Southampton.

Neither were corners. Think he might have got one against Norwich just before SBR was sacked?

I remember him scoring against Peterborough, again... it wasn't a corner though.

Not only there. Stoke at SJP was a f***ing brilliant performance, Liverpool at home was more than decent as well.

Hopefully it will come.

I think we need to go back to basics and that for me would be introducing Shola next to Ba and playing a solid 442.

You really are the worst poster on the forum arent you?

The team really suffers trying to accomodate both Ba and Cisse. It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. But the main reason is, they more often then not move in eachothers way. And neither of them seems like a carrier of the ball, and neither seems happy to play deeper and hold the balls spreading it around. So what we end up with is two strikers trying to create for their own up top whilst linkup play between midfield and attack seems non existant.

Not only there. Stoke at SJP was a f***ing brilliant performance, Liverpool at home was more than decent as well.

Hopefully it will come.

Shola :lol: Do we have to repeat the same mistakes?

Shola :lol: Do we have to repeat the same mistakes?

I have always slated Shola but he impressed me last season as a sub, wouldn't be starting him though. Personally, I'd look at taking Ba off and putting Marv on the left, having Ben Arfa switch between RW and just behind Cisse. Think we'd see a lot more attacking threat with that.