Everton vs Newcastle United - 17/09/12 @ 8pm (Live on Sky)

Beren

This is a fixture in which we either turn in very good or very bad performances.

Seen nothing so far this year to suggest it'll be the former. I'd wager it being a similar outcome to our last jaunt there. On the other hand, we haven't played well since we beat Chelsea last season, so we are overdue a performance....

3-1 home win.

Two years ago we came off the back of a home defeat to Blackpool to beat these. Fingers crossed this is similar.

Santon is clearly not comfortable attacking down the left side, every single week he flies down that flank, goes past players, cuts inside, refuses to shoot and loses the ball because he's crowded out.

On the odd occasion he tries to go on the outside, his left foot is terrible and the cross is inevitably shanked behind for a goal kick so I don't understand why people find the idea of him being tried at right back so ridiculous.

He'd be one of the best attacking full backs in the league with an option to cross or pull it back on his natural foot.

Course we haven't got any natural left backs so the point is moot.

I'd like to see Santon given a go on the right, but think he adds ball playing ability on the left handed side where we don't have many alternatives (Jonas hasn't impressed when deployed there imo), with Santon on left and Anita (temporarily I suppose) on right we should be much better at ball retention

Santon is clearly not comfortable attacking down the left side, every single week he flies down that flank, goes past players, cuts inside, refuses to shoot and loses the ball because he's crowded out.

On the odd occasion he tries to go on the outside, his left foot is terrible and the cross is inevitably shanked behind for a goal kick so I don't understand why people find the idea of him being tried at right back so ridiculous.

He'd be one of the best attacking full backs in the league with an option to cross or pull it back on his natural foot.

Course we haven't got any natural left backs so the point is moot.

:thup:

Rather have Santon careering effectively on the right and Anita solid but unspectacular on the left.

Agree with the above posts.

Anita has experiance at left back doesn't he?

At the very worst its worth the experiment.

Either way, on paper (from fb-to-fb) it's a ball-playing capable back 4. Even Perch (if Pards slots him in at rb) looks pretty comfortable when passing his way out of trouble, at least performing the basics. Awful thing to say i know, but I'm hoping that Simpson's hamstring is a tear that will keep him away from the line-up for a while, and bring about an opportunity for HBA to develop an understanding with his accompanying fullback. Numbers are thin but Simpson's injury is a blessing, if it's a grade 2 tear & above.

If Santon & Anita both start at the fb slots, we'll be able to stretch the opposition forwards' press & move them around a bit, from side-to-side. No excuses for playing longball from the back now.

The reason we have been going for RB's is because there's a higher quantity of quality RB's around than LB's.

Okay there's not exactly loads of RB's around either but theres a significant difference compared to LB where there is very little quality around.

Santon's ability to play both sides allows us to explore both positions and just buy the best fullback available and it's quite apparent there's more quality at RB than thier is LB.

Plus there's no actual proof Santon would be any better at RB, every time i have seen him at RB he has not impressed me.

Guest Playmaker10

_____________Krul___________

Perch__Saylor©__Willo__Santon

___Cabaye____Tiote____Anita___

HBA_________Cisse_________Ba

2-0 HBA(2)  ;)