Rotten behaviour from Mags down the years

Big Geordie

Some of the garbage wrote in here I wouldn't be surprised if someone complained about people standing at away games.

What? :lol:

You've never thrown a petrol bomb?

Obviously not that stuff, but it's a bit ridiculous pretending you're going to get 50,000 angels at a football game. I'm too young to see how it was back in the day but from what I've seen it wasn't just football that had racism. The mentality of everyone in general was different then. I wouldn't say it was rotten behaviour, it seemed to be the norm at that time.

I knew my post wouldn't go down well but I can't remember the last time I heard racist chanting at a football game. This thread if basically knit-picking the smallest examples out, which seem to be have happened at games years and years ago or involve a bunch of teenagers who'll follow whatever Billy big bollocks does.

Some of the garbage wrote in here I wouldn't be surprised if someone complained about people standing at away games.

Obviously not that stuff, but it's a bit ridiculous pretending you're going to get 50,000 angels at a football game. I'm too young to see how it was back in the day but from what I've seen it wasn't just football that had racism. The mentality of everyone in general was different then. I wouldn't say it was rotten behaviour, it seemed to be the norm at that time.

I knew my post wouldn't go down well but I can't remember the last time I heard racist chanting at a football game. This thread if basically knit-picking the smallest examples out, which seem to be have happened at games years and years ago or involve a bunch of teenagers who'll follow whatever Billy big bollocks does.

So because it was the norm means that it wasn't rotten behaviour?

Andy - you sound like one of those teenagers you mention in your post. If you are a young'un, you have got no feckin idea of what did go on back then. Aye, it wasn't all bad - but when it stuff happened, it was more often than not shameful.

I probably haven't put my point accross as well as I could, but this is something you'd expect to see on a Sunderland board. I'm not agreeing with what happened/is happening but it really isn't a major issue nowadays.

I am too young to have known the crack back then but you can pick a lot up from what is said/read/seen.

I'm sure there is many people who went to those games and joined in with the racism but look back now and think "what was I doing?". I feel they'd be harsh to say they took part in rotten behaviour, they basically joined in with what was the norm however wrong it may look now.

I'm sure there is many people who went to those games and joined in with the racism but look back now and think "what was I doing?". I feel they'd be harsh to say they took part in rotten behaviour, they basically joined in with what was the norm however wrong it may look now.

Various members of the Nazi Party could probably argue they were simply doing the same between 1933 and 1945 then.

Various members of the Nazi Party could probably argue they were simply doing the same between 1933 and 1945 then.

I believe there is quite a difference between World War 2 and a bloke calling another bloke black.

Guest firetotheworks

I think he has a point tbh. The more idiots, the more there are the be easily influenced. The '80s sounds fucking horrific like.

I believe there is quite a difference between World War 2 and a bloke calling another bloke black.

its not simply "calling him black" though is it?  It's coupling it with another word such a cunt, to make it derogatory.

You're also suggesting that these people were yet to develop any form of moral.  If they didn't agree with what was seen as "the norm" then why say it?  They quite clearly thought it was okay and had some form of ill-feeling towards people of a different race.

Greater ignorance/less understanding. Not an excuse but a reason why it was more predominant. For racism to happen now is simply inexcusable and anyone doing it in a perfect world would be given a swift smack around the back of the head.

It amazes me that some could cheer on or 'worship' players like Cisse, Ba, Tiote etc.. yet still call players black cunts etc.. Reminds me of the Mackems abusing Bent's mum. Being racist should be the ultimate embarrassment but ignorance really does conquer all with some.

its not simply "calling him black" though is it?  It's coupling it with another word such a c***, to make it derogatory.

You're also suggesting that these people were yet to develop any form of moral.  If they didn't agree with what was seen as "the norm" then why say it?  They quite clearly thought it was okay and had some form of ill-feeling towards people of a different race.

As I've said, I'm too young to know fully what was going on back in those days but after learning about that era I think it was a case of following the crowd and people being almost brainwashed into thinking that way. I'm not convinced that all those people actually believed what they were saying.

Must admit I am completely lost by that.

Generally the fact that today (wey yesterday) seemed to be a day for complaining and negativity on here. The old standing at games is the most negative boring discussion of them all when the odd do gooder disagrees with it.

Greater ignorance/less understanding. Not an excuse but a reason why it was more predominant. For racism to happen now is simply inexcusable and anyone doing it in a perfect world would be given a swift smack around the back of the head.

It amazes me that some could cheer on or 'worship' players like Cisse, Ba, Tiote etc.. yet still call players black c***s etc.. Reminds me of the Mackems abusing Bent's mum. Being racist should be the ultimate embarrassment but ignorance really does conquer all with some.

This I find the most baffling, the same people that would worship our own black players would not think twice about abusing an opposition player

Fortunately society and football crowds have by and large moved on. We still have a minority of pricks BUT they will always exist

I live overseas and have hardly been to the match for twenty years, so for me personally, that era is a stronger impression of "what its like at the match" than what its actually like now. I used to hate the monkey chants etc. but I must admit to being surprised when I read that someone had been banned for "yids" comments/songs at a game against Spurs, because pretty much the whole Gallowgate used to do it. This isn't nostalgia by the way, just a statement of what it feels like when a seemingly accepted norm changes on you. Obviously you have to live with the times and it's a change for the better. You can have plenty of terrace humour without bringing discrimination into it.

The other one no-one has mentioned is that every woman walking past the crowd would get "Get your tits out for the lads". Every single one.

fwiw, when the Suarez thing happened, it came out that Stuart Pearce had been caught repeatedly racially abusing Paul Ince on the pitch, but got away with writing a letter of apology. Suffice to say that that was deemed a suitable punishment based on the norm at the time. If I may add a comment, it would be that Stuart Pearce must have more friends in football than Ron Atkinson, because the latter would never get the U21 job.

Some old cunt at Everton last game of the season just gone.

Calling Pienaar a "South African black cunt" non-stop for the first 30 minutes.  I eventually told him to shut the fuck up.  His response:

"I can do what I want, did you pay for my ticket like?"

"No, but you're being a racist twat and there's no place for it"

He shut up for the rest of the game.

Guest Wally_McFool

I probably haven't put my point accross as well as I could, but this is something you'd expect to see on a Sunderland board. I'm not agreeing with what happened/is happening but it really isn't a major issue nowadays.

First time I really noticed racism at Newcastle was when 2 Millwall players got it in the neck during a League Cup match in the early 70's.

Is it also acceptable for people  to refer to older fans as "old cunts" just because they were around in a different generation.

Ageism and mind boggling hypocrisy at it's best.  :cheesy:

I think it was a case of following the crowd and people being almost brainwashed into thinking that way.

Have you fucking heard yourself.

All footy fans must have supported Enoch, eh!

Ive not been to many away games tbh so i can only talk about home games...I have heard the odd thing in ear shot of where I have sat around the stadium but it was only the odd thing.

As for the away games, the lads n lasses (Jill) on here who do travel to away games are my only insight into how the Newcastle fans were on that particular night/day.  They are genuine people and id take their word for it.  I dont hink they are nit picking tbh.

I think the only thing missing from SJP is lack of atmosphere at times but we have had a pretty much torrid time in the last 8 years, bar the last couple.

For the record, I totally disagree with the racist chanting and mindless acts of abuse carried out in and around stadiums. In the modern era there really isn't much of that going on and reading through the thread most of the stories are from years ago. Football was like that then, it wasn't just in Newcastle either. Every club in the country, every Saturday afternoon would of had idiots (hooligans) going to the game for the purpose of fighting or abusing others.

In my opinion, football has went too soft. We obviously shouldn't go back to the way it was, but I can't be alone in having absolute hatred for whoever we play. What pisses me off is people who applaud players from the opposing team, it happened a few year back when Gerrard had a stormer for Liverpool and they subbed him. I believe that to be rotten behaviour from our fans from a more recent time.

That's ridiculous, I'll happily applaud another teams player if they have a great game, you need two teams to have a football match.

Surely the whole point of being a football fan is to support your team not abuse players on other teams? Bores me how much fans engage in 'banter' which is essentially just full on abuse then can't even support some of our more maligned players. I'm not Simpson's biggest fan but the amount of times he gets a 'you're still crap' after doing something well is a bit tiresome.