How highly do you rate... Robert Pires?

Beren

Guest Howaythetoon

How much would he be worth today? For those who didn't quite catch Sir Les for us, think of Ba but stronger, quicker and pretty much twice as good.

The Premier League and indeed the world game in general was awash with top strikers back then and had lots of variety. England could call on Shearer, Sir Les, Cole, Fowler, Wright, Beardsley, Sheringham, Le Tissier, Sutton, Collymore et al, all of whom would get into the current England side.

Back then the PL was geared towards strikers and all of those named would get amongst the goals for their respective sides, it was such an entertaining league back then.

It still is today but nowhere near at the same level for me, there are far too many bland and samey samey type players and indeed sides.

Granted Les received some terrific service from Ginola, Gillespie, Beardsley etc but what stands him out from most strikers is that he could deliver a goal all by himself, without service...Shearer was the same before that horrid knee injury at Goodison.

I was actually almost as excited when we signed Ferdinand as I was when we signed Shearer. He was phenomenal in the air at QPR and fast as fuck to go with it. Not what I would call a natural finisher, but with such power in his boots he usually put them away. We were a footballing side so we probably didn't exploit his aerial strength as much as we could maybe, but because he was a good all round player he still fit into our team beautifully.

How much would he be worth today? For those who didn't quite catch Sir Les for us, think of Ba but stronger, quicker and pretty much twice as good.

The Premier League and indeed the world game in general was awash with top strikers back then and had lots of variety. England could call on Shearer, Sir Les, Cole, Fowler, Wright, Beardsley, Sheringham, Le Tissier, Sutton, Collymore et al, all of whom would get into the current England side.

Back then the PL was geared towards strikers and all of those named would get amongst the goals for their respective sides, it was such an entertaining league back then.

It still is today but nowhere near at the same level for me, there are far too many bland and samey samey type players and indeed sides.

Closest thing from today i can think of is Drogba, there really isn't anyone else out there that is even close to being like him.

Just an example with how the game has changed, not many dominating CFs around anymore.

Granted Les received some terrific service from Ginola, Gillespie, Beardsley etc but what stands him out from most strikers is that he could deliver a goal all by himself, without service...Shearer was the same before that horrid knee injury at Goodison.

Speaking of Goodison, that was also home to one of Sir Lesley's best goals after he battered through their centre backs to score.

Guest Howaythetoon

I was actually almost as excited when we signed Ferdinand as I was when we signed Shearer. He was phenomenal in the air at QPR and fast as f*** to go with it. Not what I would call a natural finisher, but with such power in his boots he usually put them away. We were a footballing side so we probably didn't exploit his aerial strength as much as we could maybe, but because he was a good all round player he still fit into our team beautifully.

It says a lot that he stood out in what was a pretty fluid attacking team. I think our own game brought out his other strengths and attributes. He was a good all-rounder for me. Like you said we could have probably got more from him as a CF in a CF role if we just flung in cross after cross but we played the ball around and he complimented our style and game perfectly.

That whole season when we signed him, everyone thought we were going to win the league, pundits, rival fans even Fergie himself thought they would struggle to win the title because we were so potent. We started off like a train and so did Sir Les.

Like I said, he was a more aesthetic type of player than Shearer. The sight of Sir Les on the ball bearing down on goal was brilliant to watch, he was so powerful and explosive.

He worked extremely hard for the team too, like Shearer he would clear many a corner or a free-kick and tracked back whenever he could.

I remember even when we had Cole and he was my hero, whenever me and mates talked football, we all agreed that it was Shearer, Sir Les and then Cole, who were the best in the league. When we signed Sir Les I thought there was only one better than him, Shearer. And then we signed Big Al. Happy happy days.

I've wondered for a while now, were those English strikers really that good, or was the fact the league was still predominantly English with not as many foreign players here make it seem the case? Obviously a few were top drawer, but it would have been interesting to see how some of them would have fared with the same ratio of foreigners in this country back then, in terms of defences faced and attackers competing for places. Other than Shearer & Sheringham, none of the rest really did it on the biggest stage at international level (Beardsley before the Premier League era apart). We were shit in 92, didn't even qualify for 94, 96 was awesome...98 Shearer & Owen were great. But depth wise, I'm not so convinced.

One of my all time favourite players, some of the goals in that 95/96 season were unreal, didn't appreciate them as much back then, looking back now, my word.

Exactly the same for me, sheer strength of the guy and awesome player and so unbelievably modest and understated off the pitch, always came across as a really nice guy! Seems like a hell of long time ago now.

Guest Howaythetoon

Closest thing from today i can think of is Drogba, there really isn't anyone else out there that is even close to being like him.

Just an example with how the game has changed, not many dominating CFs around anymore.

Aye, I'd go along with that.

The only difference between Big Al and Sir Les (pace aside) for me and its a fucking huge difference and a clincher really, is their respective mentalities. Shearer was cynical, clinical and tough as granite mentally. Sir Les was a confidence player. He would beat himself up if he missed chances, you saw it in his play. When Schmeichel was saving his many shots he took it all too personally. Shearer rarely showed his disappointment even when missing glaring opportunities.

Sir Les was a top-class centre-forward, but never a world-class one ala Shearer, Drogba.

I've wondered for a while now, were those English strikers really that good, or was the fact the league was still predominantly English with not as many foreign players here make it seem the case? Obviously a few were top drawer, but it would have been interesting to see how some of them would have fared with the same ratio of foreigners in this country back then, in terms of defences faced and attackers competing for places. Other than Shearer & Sheringham, none of the rest really did it on the biggest stage at international level (Beardsley before the Premier League era apart). We were shit in 92, didn't even qualify for 94, 96 was awesome...98 Shearer & Owen were great. But depth wise, I'm not so convinced.

We were shit in 92 and failing to qualify for 94 were down to 2 things.....one, a missing Gascoigne most of the time and two, a piss poor manager. Our strikers then were a top notch list...Lineker (1992), Shearer, Ferdinand, Wright, Sheringham, Andy Cole who was mainly ignored, Fowler who was coming into it 95ish. All top notch strikers.

Guest Howaythetoon

I've wondered for a while now, were those English strikers really that good, or was the fact the league was still predominantly English with not as many foreign players here make it seem the case? Obviously a few were top drawer, but it would have been interesting to see how some of them would have fared with the same ratio of foreigners in this country back then, in terms of defences faced and attackers competing for places. Other than Shearer & Sheringham, none of the rest really did it on the biggest stage at international level (Beardsley before the Premier League era apart). We were s*** in 92, didn't even qualify for 94, 96 was awesome...98 Shearer & Owen were great. But depth wise, I'm not so convinced.

I see what you're saying but individually every single one of them was a quality player with quality attributes so with better players around them etc. I think they all would have performed even better. A lot of them didn't make it at international level because a lot of them never really got the chance due to Shearer in the main.

Ian Wright in this Arsenal side would score just as many as he did in the side he played in for example. Sheringham today would be an absolute star. I like Berbatov but Sheringham was a class above him and always would be. Le Tissier would be a star too, although more Berbatov today than Sheringham. The only doubt for me would be someone like Sutton who I rated a hell of a lot. Sir Les, Shearer, Cole, Fowler, Collymore et al, they would all be top strikers and players today, however, maybe even better than they were back then.

Guest Howaythetoon

RE Fowler, he was fucking immense him like. He was something special, with a great left foot, movement etc. Pisses all over Owen in terms of talent but injuries and perhaps a not so 100% professional attitude meant he will never be recognised outside of Liverpool.

KK took charge of a few under 21 games and worked with Fowler, he said at the time that if he could buy any one player in the world, it would be him. I'm sure he scored 5 for KK once in an under-21 game, I could be wrong. Anywa... I don't think there has been a more natural finisher than him in our league. He could play a bit too, he had such a clever brain. It is no wonder LFC fans refer to him as God, because for a short period he was like nothing else. The closest to Ronaldo (the Brazilian) we had at the time in terms of pizzazz.

RE Fowler, he was fucking immense him like. He was something special, with a great left foot, movement etc. Pisses all over Owen in terms of talent but injuries and perhaps a not so 100% professional attitude meant he will never be recognised outside of Liverpool.

KK took charge of a few under 21 games and worked with Fowler, he said at the time that if he could buy any one player in the world, it would be him. I'm sure he scored 5 for KK once in an under-21 game, I could be wrong. Anywa... I don't think there has been a more natural finisher than him in our league. He could play a bit too, he had such a clever brain. It is no wonder LFC fans refer to him as God, because for a short period he was like nothing else. The closest to Ronaldo (the Brazilian) we had at the time in terms of pizzazz.

Possibly the best finisher I've ever seen, brilliant player. Shame he never quite made it as big as he should have.

Les Ferdinand is in the top 2 best forwards I've seen at Newcastle and he's only beaten to first by a player who was here long enough to claim the clubs goal scoring record.

high praise form someone who goes back to pre supermac? gotta say I agree.

Les Ferdinand is in the top 2 best forwards I've seen at Newcastle and he's only beaten to first by a player who was here long enough to claim the clubs goal scoring record.

high praise form someone who goes back to pre supermac? gotta say I agree.

Aye, very interesting.

Have to admit Andy Cole and Shearer dominate my memories.

Guest Howaythetoon

I've not seen as much of NUFC as you Mick and with it as many forwards but I'd agree with that, easily.

What makes Sir Les all the more special is he was a late starter if you like and even had a spell in Turkey at one point.

Who would be your 3rd Mick?

Me its Shearer, Sir Les, Cole and then.... maybe by some distance, Ba. Although for a few games Duncan Ferguson looked capable of being on another level.

high praise form someone who goes back to pre Hughie Gallacher? gotta say I agree.

high praise form someone who goes back to pre Hughie Gallacher? gotta say I agree.

:lol:

Guest Howaythetoon

RE Fowler, he was f***ing immense him like. He was something special, with a great left foot, movement etc. Pisses all over Owen in terms of talent but injuries and perhaps a not so 100% professional attitude meant he will never be recognised outside of Liverpool.

Possibly the best finisher I've ever seen, brilliant player. Shame he never quite made it as big as he should have.

Aye, I'd go along with that myself like.

I loved Robbie Fowler, that left foot, his movement, his clever runs, his footy brain. He was making fools of goalies, defenders etc. at 18 like no-one else, not in our own country anyway. Shearer was regarded as something special at 18 but wasn't a patch on a then 18 year old Fowler. I truly believe only Ronaldo, and later Raul, Anelka and Kluivert at that age were as hot if you will in terms of ability, finishing etc. Like I said his talent pissed all over Owen who for me, at one point, was a great player.

You knew you were in it if Fowler received the ball with a chance to shoot. One of those players you'd watch through your fingers. :lol: Just a shame he didn't have the professionalism of a Shearer, because he was possibly even more lethal in front of goal.