How highly do you rate... Robert Pires?

Beren

Welcome to the weekly player assassination thread. Retired or still ploughing along, feel free to suggest candidates for N-O scrutiny.

First up: Pavel Nedved, the Czech Fury

http://www.soccerstarswallpaper.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Pavel-Nedved-Wallpaper-7.jpg

How highly did you rate him?

I always thought he was a fantastic player with a wand of a left foot (though I would caveat I didn't watch Italian football week in, week out during his heydey). Always find myself surprised history has not remembered him as up there with the finest midfielders of his generation, and he isn't at least mentioned more in 'greatest XI of the 90s/00s' etc.

Could do just about everything, great technical ability, fantastic passing, vision and decision-making... complete nightmare to face! Good worker too.

Injuries took a big toll on him, in my opinion. He never was the same player from the mid-2000s onwards and when I watched Juventus those days I always got the impression there was a bit more there than wasn't coming through. Fantastic player, mind, and one of the best football brains I remember. He probably was obscured by Del Piero at Juve and Zidane overall those days, but he still got a Golden Ball to his name.

That Lazio side at the turn of the century with him, Mijahlovic, Nesta, etc... was disturbingly good.

He was naturally right footed though. ;)

Always thought he was genuinely two-footed and his left was the stronger if any!

Remember reading about him and he said that when he first started out at Prague, he would train until the lights went out. He'd use his weaker foot over and over and over again until he got to the level we remember him for now.

Injuries took a big toll on him, in my opinion. He never was the same player from the mid-2000s onwards and when I watched Juventus those days I always got the impression there was a bit more there than wasn't coming through. Fantastic player, mind, and one of the best football brains I remember. He probably was obscured by Del Piero at Juve and Zidane overall those days, but he still got a Golden Ball to his name.

That Lazio side at the turn of the century with him, Mijahlovic, Nesta, etc... was disturbingly good.

Was just having a look and when they won the scudetto Salas top scored with 11. Madness.

Nedved was a great player mind. Worked his socks off and I wouldn't say as technically gifted as others around that time but his work ethic made up for that.

Although always thought he was a bit of a diving/cheating bassa.

I like the "How highly do you rate him?" idea Beren. Personally think it would be worth a thread with a little poll, maybe with the thread title and player changing weekly.

I like the "How highly do you rate him?" idea Beren. Personally think it would be worth a thread with a little poll, maybe with the thread title and player changing weekly.

:thup: Sounds good.

So long as we never pick Defoe as the player to discuss.

May I recommend you start the first thread on Il Rei di Roma  :snod: , I love him but he seems a player like Ibrahimovic that always divides opinion in this country.

http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/18100000/Francesco-Totti-francesco-totti-18115595-407-594.jpg

Good shout. No Totti, no party.

Roberto Carlos is another good one, I think. Guaranteed the first thing that will be mentioned is his overrated consistency with freekicks  :laugh:

Feel free to start it yourself btw Tooj (it doesn't really matter who starts it, I can pitch in with the weekly updates etc obviously).

Edit: There (easy as that).  :blush:

:thup: Sounds good.

So long as we never pick Defoe as the player to discuss.

May I recommend you start the first thread on Il Rei di Roma  :snod: , I love him but he seems a player like Ibrahimovic that always divides opinion in this country.

http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/18100000/Francesco-Totti-francesco-totti-18115595-407-594.jpg

Good shout. No Totti, no party.

Roberto Carlos is another good one, I think. Guaranteed the first thing that will be mentioned is his overrated consistency with freekicks  :laugh:

Feel free to start it yourself btw Tooj (it doesn't really matter who starts it, I can pitch in with the weekly updates etc obviously).

Edit: There (easy as that).  :blush:

Quite  :smitten:

Sorry sorry... got carried away.

Regarding Nedved, still think that the "make it or break it" moment for him was the Euros 2004. That Czech side he captained was simply immense, and was such a heartbreaker to see them fall against that awful Greek team. Had he lead the Czechs to the final I think he would have been remembered highly.

Another watershed moment was probably missing the CL final against Milan. Sometimes it's having those moments at the greatest stages where you forge your legacy.

Fantastic player, he seems to be one of those players as time goes in people forget how truly great he was. To use an example i feel Michael Laudrup is another one who has time goes on the more underrated he gets.

One of those players like mentioned he never really had a position but sort of just floated everywhere but unfortunately as also mentioned earlier missing key games which could have cemented his legacy.

Still Juve and Czech Republic still have got close to replacing him which says a lot about how good he was especially for Juve inability to replace him.

I completely forgot about that Lazio team too, what a side that was. Nearly bankrupted the club building that side mind lol.

Fantastic player, he seems to be one of those players as time goes in people forget how truly great he was. To use an example i feel Michael Laudrup is another one who has time goes on the more underrated he gets.

One of those players like mentioned he never really had a position but sort of just floated everywhere but unfortunately as also mentioned earlier missing key games which could have cemented his legacy.

Still Juve and Czech Republic still have got close to replacing him which says a lot about how good he was especially for Juve inability to replace him.

I completely forgot about that Lazio team too, what a side that was. Nearly bankrupted the club building that side mind lol.

There's a class story about how Cragnotti invited Gazza over to lift the league trophy with them as he said Lazio wouldn't be where they were if it wasn't for him. Gazza of course declined.

Excellent player. Great work rate & determination. Once read that he trained every day even running on Christmas Day & that the Juventus fitness coach used to train every player until they were sick but he could never make Nedved sick. Also not afraid to shoot with either foot which modern players seem terrified to do.