How highly do you rate... Robert Pires?

Beren

I wouldn't have him in the top 3 strikers of that time either, but not because he was anything other than brilliant. The strikers that were around then and the amount of good English strikers around at that time was ridiculous. All of these players were at or around their peaks, at around the same time.

Shearer,

Sheringham,

Wright,

Fowler,

Ferdinand,

Cole,

Owen,

Le Tissier.

Talked about that late 90's list a lot about how class England strikers were. You write a list that long of our best ones now and it's fucking scary reading.

• 4 months later...

I wouldn't have him in the top 3 strikers of that time either, but not because he was anything other than brilliant. The strikers that were around then and the amount of good English strikers around at that time was ridiculous. All of these players were at or around their peaks, at around the same time.

Shearer,

Sheringham,

Wright,

Fowler,

Ferdinand,

Cole,

Owen,

Le Tissier.

Was amazed to see in that Sporcle thing the other day that Le Tissier scored 25 Premier League goals one year, that's phenomenal for someone who wasn't an out-and-out forward.

Probably the most naturally talented footballer other than Messi I've ever seen. He was born to play football.

Have we done Roberto Baggio in this thread?

Loved him back in the day.

Didn't get to see enough of him, but one of the first players to admire as a kid. Legend, especially because of that penalty in '94 copying Baresi :lol:

Have we done Roberto Baggio in this thread?

Loved him back in the day.

Didn't get to see enough of him, but one of the first players to admire as a kid. Legend, especially because of that penalty in '94 copying Baresi :lol:

Same, my first football memories are from the '94 World Cup and I adored him.

Guest Howaythetoon

I remember us being linked with him back in the mid 90`s under Keegan :lol:

Think it's in Keegans book that says Freddie Fletcher just rocked up at the Juventus HQ and demanded to speak to someone about buying him  :lol:

And quickly got told to fuck off. :lol:

Them days we genuinely tried to sign the cream of the crop, home or abroad.

Think it's in Keegans book that says Freddie Fletcher just rocked up at the Juventus HQ and demanded to speak to someone about buying him  :lol:

And quickly got told to fuck off. :lol:

Aye. Sad times really.

And quickly got told to f*** off. :lol:

Aye. Sad times really.

Iirc they then drove over to Milan to try and sign Bergkamp without any joy and settled for Tino from Parma...

Guest Howaythetoon

In those madcap years we tried to buy one of either Signori, Boksic or Baggio, all at the time at the top of their game and top Serie A players. I remember Boksic was a lovely player in his day. We also tried to sign Papin and Weah when he was at PSG. Such a depth of talent in those areas all over the world really, unlike today.

I can never forget KK as co-commentator during USA 94 and basically live on telly saying he would love Cafu at the Toon and that the Toon fans would love him, he went off on a daydreaming tangent and the commentator had to say, err Kev, back to the World Cup or something along those lines.

They were the most exciting times ever to be a Toon fan. We could compete with anyone home or abroad with KK as manager and SJH as owner. We went from something like running at a 4-6m loss to turning over 44m in just a few years. At one point the only difference in revenue between ourselves and Man Utd was their extra seats. We had a 36K seater they had 44K I believe.

And the best part is that SJH didn't put a penny into the club, he was no sugar daddy, that huge leap in revenue was doen to fans spending their hard earned on shirts, tickets and any old merchandise that had the words NUFC on it. That and of course TV money.

How times have changed...

After we're done with Baggio, I nominate Davor Suker who I'm sure we were also after at one point in time.

Loved Baggio. With no England at USA 94 most of the country adopted Ireland. I was all about Italy (got some family over there). The Divine Ponytail was just the most outstanding player around at that time. The Italy side had some unreal players but without Baggio they would never have made the final.

He was such a big part of your weekend with Football Italia on C4. Good times, man.

In those madcap years we tried to buy one of either Signori, Boksic or Baggio, all at the time at the top of their game and top Serie A players. I remember Boksic was a lovely player in his day. We also tried to sign Papin and Weah when he was at PSG. Such a depth of talent in those areas all over the world really, unlike today.

I can never forget KK as co-commentator during USA 94 and basically live on telly saying he would love Cafu at the Toon and that the Toon fans would love him, he went off on a daydreaming tangent and the commentator had to say, err Kev, back to the World Cup or something along those lines.

They were the most exciting times ever to be a Toon fan. We could compete with anyone home or abroad with KK as manager and SJH as owner. We went from something like running at a 4-6m loss to turning over 44m in just a few years. At one point the only difference in revenue between ourselves and Man Utd was their extra seats. We had a 36K seater they had 44K I believe.

And the best part is that SJH didn't put a penny into the club, he was no sugar daddy, that huge leap in revenue was doen to fans spending their hard earned on shirts, tickets and any old merchandise that had the words NUFC on it. That and of course TV money.

How times have changed...

After we're done with Baggio, I nominate Davor Suker who I'm sure we were also after at one point in time.

He would love Cafu? Amazing that he watched Brazilian football back then because Cafu was great for Sao Paulo but in the national team he only got in when Jorginho injured himself prior to the final.

What a great player he was. Few players like that who I would be exicted too see. A genuine superstar. That world cup 94 was my favourite year football so many good players back then but I think It was one of the more enjoyable years being a toon fan.

Il never forget Maradona screaming in to the camera, no drug tested needed after that