How highly do you rate... Robert Pires?

Beren

This how Benzema not being the focal point is only going to increase if Madrid get Bale btw.  :lol:

Bale and CR will be the focal points of attacks and Benzema will play deeper creating chances, nothing wrong that IMO he's still bloody fantastic at it but if he wants to be said focal point he might want to leave.

He's never going to be the player he promised to be at Lyon if he stays at Madrid, still a great player though just a very different one with a drastically different role.

Higuain is leaving for this reason, while Ronaldo is there it is a place where strikers go to die as its almost impossible to be the focal point of an attack while Ronaldo is there.

Only difference is Benzema is much better in deeper roles than Higuain so can contribute in other ways.

Was Benzema the one who got brought on vs Dortmund in that 2nd leg and immediately changed the game? Could be wrong but positive it was him.  When he's up for it he looks absolutely lethal.

Brilliant striker, but has absolutely no mettle. All this "he's not the focal point of the attack" is pretty bollocks, imho. He was easily one of the top strikers in the world last year with Cronaldo guzzling up Madrid's attacking play. He's prone to loss of confidence, and just lacks the will to fight when things don't go well for him. You watch him play and you'll realize that just 2-3 bad performances in a row and he sinks like a rock, he needs to be heavily babysitted and Mourinho had just stopped bothering this year.

It's a pity (well no, since I'm a Barça fan), because on full pelt he's just a joy to watch.

I think I was previously guilty of overrating Benzema in days gone by. I still think he's good, just not as good as I thought. He doesn't have too many outstanding attribute, and none that I think of which are outright devastating or in any way unmanageable.

His stats are pretty amazing, but (and I know some don't believe it to be instructive of anything whatsoever!) I think his international record isn't too great, and forgetting stats, just watching him outside of a Real Madrid top - he gives me the impression of a striker reaching to be as impressive as he is billed to be (similar to Ribery IMO) rather than genuinely brilliant.

• 3 months later...
Guest VanBarduck

Incredible talent, one of the few remaining "natural" striker, shame he doesn't impose himself on the pitch, he'll always score goals but he'll never fullfill his potential  :'(

Drogba of his day, was absolutely immense and unplayable most of the time.

Its a shame what happened to him injuries wise after he left us, because as bloody brilliant as he was he could have been even better.

Should have played more for England as well IMO, quite underrated on the whole.

Imagine if we had someone like that playing upfront for us today :sweetjesus:

Absolutely class, they say Peter Crouch is 6ft 7 tall but 6ft when he jumps (or something like that), Ferdinand was 5ft 10 (ish) but 6ft 5 when he jumped. Beast in the air, probably better than Shearer tbh.

The rest of his game wasn't that bad either  :iamatwat:

Why did Dogleash sell him?

Was gutted at the time he left. Didnt he go the summer that Shearer had that terrible injury at Everton pre-season?

Yep, I think we tried to put a stop to it when Shearer got injured but he'd given Spurs his word. Not sure whether Dalglish had much choice in the whole business tbf.

He was fantastic for us but seemed to stop running at defenders after a certain point in 95/96 which had been one of his most dangerous attributes. Still offered us plenty though and it was a phenomenal 2 seasons from him overall.

He was sold because we needed to sell to recoup some of what we'd shelled out on Shearer. Great striker and clearly lovely bloke and one of the few ex-Toon players that I carried on liking after they'd left us. Prone to big dips in confidence, though, as (sadly) in the 1996 Premier League run-in.