How highly do you rate... Robert Pires?

Beren

As I said in the other thread, it was a pity injuries kept him out of the Barça team when he came here. Sadly things were starting to unravel for us and the "just buy the 90s Ajax side" policy was pretty knee-jerk, and he really didn't have a role to play with Rivaldo out there; that meant he was often put on the wing or sub appearances.

I genuinely loved him as a player, mind.

Michael Laudrup, Schmeichel, Zlatan, Gunnar Gren, Gunnar Nordahl and Nils Liedholm off the top of my head.

I think he is just behind Zlatan and maybe Schmeichel.

Despite playing different positions to Zlatan Michael Laudrup is the best outfield Scandinavian player I've saw. No question about it.

Guest Howaythetoon

Raul was a great forward in the same vein as Del Piero etc. Litmannen was a fantsatic player too.

How about Roberto Ayala? Fucking rock of  CB he was.

Raul and Del Piero were totally different man.

Del Piero being your classic number 10 whilst Raul being a centre forward of such outstanding finesse.

A similar striker to Raul would be say Davor Suker.

Agree about Ayala though.

There was actually some debate in Finnish and Swedish press about Litmanen and Zlatan. They agreed that Zlatan has had a better career (surprise  :rolleyes: ) but some of them said Litmanen in his prime was better. Difficult to say because they are playing in different positions, but Zlatan certainly has had a more successful career. I rate him to top 5 strikers in the world at the moment.

Guest Howaythetoon

Raul and Del Piero were totally different man.

Del Piero being your classic number 10 whilst Raul being a centre forward of such outstanding finesse.

A similar striker to Raul would be say Davor Suker.

Agree about Ayala though.

I didn't mean they were the same type of players in terms of attributes, I meant in terms of what they meant to their respective clubs, basically the hub of their team for a decade or so.

Although Raul was a very creative forward too. I agree about your comparison with Fowler btw, although the latter clearly not as creative/technical. Fowler could have been a beast at every level but for injuries and apparent attitude.

I remember when KK took charge of the England under-21s and came back raving about Fowler, saying he was an outrageous talent. He was. He was quick, intelligent and could score from anywhere and all type of goals. He wasn't a classic CF type but more of a roving one. Such a sweet left foot too.

Litmannen was a fantsatic player too.

How about Roberto Ayala? f***ing rock of  CB he was.

Always signed Litmanen in Champ Man 96/97 back in the day ....scored crap load of goals as an attacking midfielder  ;D

Agree about JL in a Keegan side  :pedro:  ......was linked to us in the SBR days actually

Ayala? Oustanding at Valencia but pretty mediocre at Napoli and Milan

Good one.

To be honest, I never seen him play so I can't really judge him but I'm really interested on reading what people have to say. Reading on him his peak seemed relatively short, and it has always surprised me the huge reputation he has over in the UK/Ireland. Again, I'm too young to ever having seen him play.

Is he really considered in the same echelon as Pelé, Maradona, Cruyff or Di Stefano? Not over here at least.

Definitely the most talented British player I've ever seen. His ability to go past opponents was second to none. Wonderful close control of the ball, and no real weaknesses in his game.

In terms of talent he was the equal of any player, apart from possibly Messi. But he didn't achieve anything like his capability. It was like he reached the top and then got bored and failed to kick on.