How highly do you rate... Robert Pires?

Beren

Has there ever been a better player than Shearer in the air? How was Les and Duncan Ferguson?

Will never forget my only visit to SJP where Shearer didn't lose one header all game. I think we must've won every header that day as Bramble was a beast at the back and Shearer was winning absolutely everything with Dyer and Bellamy running in behind on the flicks.

Gary Speed was the best in the air I've seen here.

:thup:

Guest reefatoon

Has there ever been a better player than Shearer in the air? How was Les and Duncan Ferguson?

Will never forget my only visit to SJP where Shearer didn't lose one header all game. I think we must've won every header that day as Bramble was a beast at the back and Shearer was winning absolutely everything with Dyer and Bellamy running in behind on the flicks.

Ferdinand was fantastic in the air for a bloke under 6ft. (hard to believe really as he always looked like a beast on the pitch).  He had an unbelievable jump.  Both him and Shearer, for guys under 6ft they were amazing in the air.

Ferdinand was fantastic in the air for a bloke under 6ft. (hard to believe really as he always looked like a beast on the pitch).  He had an unbelievable jump.  Both him and Shearer, for guys under 6ft they were amazing in the air.

Sir Les used to get some amazing hangtime like.

Guest tollemache

Speed! Forgot about his jumping. Ah.

Romario had an unbelievable leap on him and he was a little guy. And Tim Cahill is/was pretty insane for his size

Just seemed a strange question to ask. Shearer wasn't great in the air from open play. Big threat from set-pieces but there's been far bet players in the air at NUFC over the years and throughout the PL.

Aye I just saw now that I forgot to write for Newcastle. In any case in the last 10 years Shearer and Gary Speed must have been the two most prominent headers of the ball over more than 6 months as Andy Carroll was great at it as well. I never got to see enough of Duncan or Les in a Newcastle shirt and that's why I asked.

this lovely fellow i rated very highly. Sorry for being of topic.

http://www.factor-web.com/cromo/cromomes/signori9394-nov09.jpg

Man, I just had a flashback of him today and thought about bringing him to this thread. Absolute peach of a footballer, what a touch he had, one of my favorite Italian forwards :)

Loved the way he took penalties, like a boss.

Guest Howaythetoon

Keegan tried to sign him didn't he?

Aye, along with a host of top Serie a players at the time. We tried for him, Boksic (in his prime, when he was a top player), Baggio and of course Tino who we eventually got. Those were the days from us and me personally. Italian football seemed a million miles ahead of the then new Premier League. Back in those days, I was an avid fan.

Signori was a top top player, very clever too.

Guest Howaythetoon

Sir Les is the best striker I've seen in the air.

He was a beast. We've had some exceptional headerers of a ball like. Shearer was good from crosses and for flick-ons but Sir Les was great at them all, so was Speed who was very clever at heading the ball, the way he would just nod it into the path of a team-mate in such a nonchalant way or attack it... different class.

Duncan Ferguson by the way should have been the complete centre-forward but injuries plagued him. He was simply unstoppable on form and if the ball was played right for him. Not a bad footballer either. That goal against Man Utd man!

IMO Carroll was great attacking the ball in the air but when it was lumped long to him he generally didn't really have a clue where he was aiming his flick ons.

Well who did he have them to flick on to? Nolan? :lol:

this lovely fellow i rated very highly. Sorry for being of topic.

http://www.factor-web.com/cromo/cromomes/signori9394-nov09.jpg

Man, I just had a flashback of him today and thought about bringing him to this thread. Absolute peach of a footballer, what a touch he had, one of my favorite Italian forwards :)

Loved the way he took penalties, like a boss.

One step...whip across it...peel away celebrating.

A better than 1 in 2 record despite not playing for any of the top, top teams in Serie A is obscene.

Guest tollemache

IMO Carroll was great attacking the ball in the air but when it was lumped long to him he generally didn't really have a clue where he was aiming his flick ons.

With Carroll it always looks to me like it's all about his positioning and sense for where the ball will pitch... he's great at giving himself a running jump at it and giving the defender no chance to go directly up against him. Bit like Brian McBride

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

By the way, I'm with Ronaldo on the issue of modern strikers.

I'll believe you when teams start to sign Grant Holts instead of Naymars. 'Modern Forward' simply means the style of forward that is prevalent in the game today. It isn't any of the players you've mentioned. The second strikers of the 80s (Beardsley and co) are more akin to today's top flight forward.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

So I mistyped his name, thanks for that.

I'll be sure to hawkeye every post you make from now on to return the favour.

I understand (albeit disagree) with the point you've been trying to make, OCK, but you've made terribly with laughable examples. Grant f***ing Holt and Neymar, for crying out loud. :lol:

Starting with this one.

You're fine to disagree with what I see as a Modern Forward, and I'll disagree with whatever you think it is (Drogba?). But the fact is you don't see people sign these targetmen anymore, as they want mobility, creativity & finishers. Not so much 'fight football' as Dennis Mortimer kept calling it for some reason, where you're body to body to create space, but playing between the lines looking to draw defenders out of their compact defensive units.