Floated set penis to Williamson/Taylor at back post

Dave

Guest bimpy474

Corner against Sunderland that was bundled in by Fat Kev in the 1-1. Taylor scored 3 at the end of his first half season I think as well.

Since Cabaye came then, weird :lol:

Guest bimpy474

Taylor against Chelsea was from a corner wasn't it?

It's shocking that the last corner we scored was in October 2011

Hence the thread title.

Corner against Sunderland that was bundled in by Fat Kev in the 1-1. Taylor scored 3 at the end of his first half season I think as well.

More likely Hughton's influence wore off and Pardew's started. Hughton was excellent at coaching set pieces. I'm sure a large percentage of our Premiership goals under him were from set pieces.

Guest bimpy474

More likely Hughton's influence wore off and Pardew's started. Hughton was excellent at coaching set pieces. I'm sure a large percentage of our Premiership goals under him were from set pieces.

Slightly unlikely as Cabaye took it and Ba scored it, neither played under him but it was a near post whipped in corner, something we've not tried since. Just ridiculous, but i see your point about Hoots, he was cracking at it, the Mackems 5-1 was a good example.

Slightly unlikely as Cabaye took it and Ba scored it, neither played under him but it was a near post whipped in corner, something we've not tried since. Just ridiculous, but i see your point about Hoots, he was cracking at it, the Mackems 5-1 was a good example.

Also no coincidence that our lethal set piece trio of Barton, Nolan and Carroll were all sold.

Guest bimpy474

Also no coincidence that our lethal set piece trio of Barton, Nolan and Carroll were all sold.

Very true but it still doesn't excuse not trying a short one, a whipped in one, a flick on.........no lets try the floated one again. Honestly it's so baffling to me the lack of inventiveness from Pardew on this.

I think it's a clear indicator of his true ability as a manager, he can't come up with anything, this is the one thing a shit manager can do but not him funnily enough.

Very true but it still doesn't excuse not trying a short one, a whipped in one, a flick on.........no lets try the floated one again. Honestly it's so baffling to me the lack of inventiveness from Pardew on this.

I think it's a clear indicator of his true ability as a manager, he can't come up with anything, this is the one thing a shit manager can do but not him funnily enough.

Set pieces are one of the simplest things in football. It wouldn't surprise me if he just over thinks it like he does every thing. Given how scared he is of every opponent we ever play it's probably intended as a defensive tactic.

Guest bimpy474

Set pieces are one of the simplest things in football. It wouldn't surprise me if he just over thinks it like he does every thing.

Over thinks it and then does nothing for 2 seasons. Well yes that's one way to approach it i guess :lol:

I just don't get how the people who want him to stay, dont look at this and think, maybe he isn't the man for us. Is there a clearer thing to look at to see how bad he actually is.

Guest bimpy474

Considering he's shit scared of conceding at all times, they're probably considered an inconvenience to defending rather than an opportunity to score.

Sad but probably true :(

Guest TheGreatBeardo

I really wish we would start playing our corners short. We are so bad at corners that they are more of a threat to our own goal than the opposition's. Just give the ball to Benny or Marveaux and let them have a run at the box, and just keep the ball if nothing is on. Actually, scrub that, I'd be happier with our corners if we started playing them back to the keeper. And I really wish I was joking.

There was someone a few days ago who mentioned the return of Raylor, and suggested our luck from corners might improve when he returns. Maybe they are right. But when I read that comment the movie that played in my mind's eye was of Ryan Taylor curling one inside the far post direct from a corner. Now, I know that's not what the commentor meant (I'm sorry I've forgotten who it was), but that is the way my brain interpreted it. The fact that my brain thinks that this is the most likely way for us to score from a corner makes me think that we should probably give up on trying to score from corners.

We have obviously struggled to find time to work on our set pieces this season: It's the only logical reason why they are so unbelievably shit. But the obvious solution is to play them short and just maintain possession, but we very rarely do it. Why? It makes no sense.

Guest TheGreatBeardo

Even with Raylor taking them we wouldn't score.

That is almost certainly a depressingly true proposition. But, they would probably look more threatening, which would have some kind of comfort value at least. God, I hate our corners.

Guest icemanblue

Considering he's shit scared of conceding at all times, they're probably considered an inconvenience to defending rather than an opportunity to score.

Fucking hell. Yes, we throw our central defenders forward for the sole purpose of maintaining our defensive shape.

Considering he's s*** scared of conceding at all times, they're probably considered an inconvenience to defending rather than an opportunity to score.

f***ing hell. Yes, we throw our central defenders forward for the sole purpose of maintaining our defensive shape.

Doesn't Bimpy say they negate our defensive capabilities due to our CBs being further up the field. That's exactly how i read his post.

Guest icemanblue

Considering he's s*** scared of conceding at all times, they're probably considered an inconvenience to defending rather than an opportunity to score.

f***ing hell. Yes, we throw our central defenders forward for the sole purpose of maintaining our defensive shape.

Doesn't Bimpy say they negate our defensive capabilities due to our CBs being further up the field. That's exactly how i read his post.

I read it as 'Sad but probably true :( '.

Agree with Inochi's logic, but i have a suspicion (in training) we concentrate more on our defensive transition (after the opp clears it's line) than our movement inside the box (attacking the freekick, causing confusion feints & decoy movement off-the-ball etc).  Because our floated fk's are hit & hope (to the head of Willo or Taylor).

Guest icemanblue

Agree with Inochi's logic, but i have a suspicion (in training) we concentrate more on our defensive transition (after the opp clears it's line) than our movement inside the box (attacking the freekick, causing confusion feints & decoy movement off-the-ball etc).  Because our floated fk's are hit & hope (to the head of Willo or Taylor).

I don't think we do, considering how often we get caught out on the break.

I read it as 'Sad but probably true :( '.

Soz, in reference to Dave's post.

Also, we're a lot more at risk to ourselves when WE have set pieces. We don't score from them, our defenders ARE out of position and we don't transition from attack top defence very well. We can all see this. As can the Manager i'm sure. I'm certain he wishes he could rectify it.

Guest bimpy474

Tbh, i think we have our centre backs up for corners more in hope than all logic.

My favourite would be for us to pass the corner back to Elliot, then let him hoof it into the box, same result but at least we wont get caught on the break.

I'm still trying to accept just how bad we are, we are worse than a useless Sunday League side at them.

I don't think we do, considering how often we get caught out on the break.

Odd thing there is that Pardew is apparently obsessed with Mourinho who it all about the transitions. You'd think it was something he concentrated on.

Either he:

a) never really covers it training

b) does but is terrible at it

c) does it, is good but the players are terrible at it.

There aren't any other options.