Floated set penis to Williamson/Taylor at back post

Dave

• 1 month later...

Worth a bump, I think.

How long ago were Pardew's quotes about having centre halves who would chip in with a few goals (presumably headers on set pieces rather than screamers from our half ;)?

Three quarters of a season, or so? No defenders have scored for us in the league this season unless I'm mistaken. That's a very long time to have identified a problem, and been ineffective/unable to do a thing about improving/changing it.

It's not just the personnel though, is it? He rightly identified a problem with us scoring/being a threat from corners/free kicks, and you have to admit, it's been a very long time since that admission and we've made little/no progress.

I mean, okay, Williamson is out of the team now (:lol:) but we're still as toothless as a new born baby. I accept it's only one aspect of football, but that's a little unforgivable IMO.

Corners are utterly pointless, freekicks marginally less so when they aren't direct.

I reckon he is just saving this perfect corner for the Europa League final, no point in giving away our guaranteed goal in a fairly meaningless game.

These have gone way too far now, they're pathetic. How can a bunch of professionals not have sorted this out yet? How can they have all these training sessions per week, yet not change a damn thing? It's mind boggling now and it's costing us points. Every match it drives me crazy!

Sep 4, 2012

"The set-plays were awful," said the boss.

"The delivery - we hit the first man five times. That's why for a coach, it was frustrating. We were really frustrated that we weren't hitting the areas.

"We are not brilliant at corners - our record suggests we haven't got great assets to score from corners.

"(Mike) Williamson has never scored since he has been here; Steven (Taylor) has only got two or three; Colo (Fabricio Coloccini) hasn't got many goals.

"We are not proficient, and maybe we have to re-think about how we are going to score from set-plays.

Nov 28, 2012

“We have changed our whole outlook on set plays just this week.

“We have had to change it once already this season because we are just not getting enough success.

“There is not point sitting on your hands and saying ‘oh well it will come good’. You have to make changes.”

“The bottom line is we need the first contact to be won. That’s where Stoke do very well.

“They win the first contact and it always gives you a chance of scoring straight from that contact or the second contact.”

Mar 10, 2013

"http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbcgd6noQu1rvqdhao1_1280.jpg"

From one corner today, I counted 7 (at least) players outside of the box. It's far too negative and I cannot understand why Pardew does it. We struggle enough as it is with set pieces but then make it even harder by not having enough players to challenge when a decent ball is put in. Said it for ages but I don't think we have the right personnel in the box from corners either. There was at least one corner today where Yanga-Mbiwa was stood on the halfway line as the ball came in, utterly stupid. Jonas really should be the one to make way and sit when we have a corner, probably along with Tiote who isn't the threat we need on the edge of the box should the ball come out (Arsenal aside).

From one corner today, I counted 7 (at least) players outside of the box. It's far too negative and I cannot understand why Pardew does it. We struggle enough as it is with set pieces but then make it even harder by not having enough players to challenge when a decent ball is put in. Said it for ages but I don't think we have the right personnel in the box from corners either. There was at least one corner today where Yanga-Mbiwa was stood on the halfway line as the ball came in, utterly stupid. Jonas really should be the one to make way and sit when we have a corner, probably along with Tiote who isn't the threat we need on the edge of the box should the ball come out (Arsenal aside).

That bit is definitely true. It's not like we're just unlucky with good saves or blocks on the line, we just don't win headers in the opposition box.

It's a slightly different point but we crossed the ball in loads today and never looked like a threat from it and we rarely do.

Would rather we played all our corners short at the moment. Get a bit closer and try and hit the ball low and hard, short to Cabaye so smash towards the top hand corner hoping it goes in/hits someone, anything basically.

Guest bimpy474

Would rather we played all our corners short at the moment. Get a bit closer and try and hit the ball low and hard, short to Cabaye so smash towards the top hand corner hoping it goes in/hits someone, anything basically.

Rather Cabaye just passed the ball behind the goal for a goal kick, less chance of a counter attack, i fear it every single time our corner is plucked out of the air by the oppo GK.

Thinking that shows just how shit we are at them. It's embarrassing for a professional side to be this clueless.

He should ring Fat Sam for advice. Allardyce was one of the worst football managers we've ever had but at least he knew what he was about (anti-football) and could deliver some decent set pieces.

I love how excited the crowd still gets when we get a corner.

It reminds me of Ric Flair, when he pretends he's Hulk Hogan/the Ultimate Warrior and gees himself up, only to get cleaned out :lol: :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

When did we do that surprising free kick when we actually played a pass and caught everyone off guard? Chelsea?

Also when Colo was lurking outside the area and he nearly scored.

Is that all we came up with?

When did we do that surprising free kick when we actually played a pass and caught everyone off guard? Chelsea?

Also when Colo was lurking outside the area and he nearly scored.

Is that all we came up with?

Pretty much. A 20 yard header is the closest we've got :lol: