Floated set penis to Williamson/Taylor at back post

Dave

It's a combination of awful organisation, poor delivery, and, in particular, lack of willing and able attackers of the ball.

Which incidentally are also the same reasons 50% of our attacking play doesn't work, when we work it wide and try to get a cross in. Our other 50% is taken up by long balls over the top for Cisse.

Considering he's shit scared of conceding at all times, they're probably considered an inconvenience to defending rather than an opportunity to score.

I don't really believe that 'long ball' is Pardew's philosophy, it's more that he concentrates more on defence than attack in his thinking.

If we replaced Simpson and Williamson with some actual footballers we would send it long a lot less. The lack of movement in midfield is also an issue, but maybe it's a vicious circle. The midfielders constantly see the ball flying over there heads, so they stop coming short to receive it, so the defenders have to launch it.

I think I agree with that, but I'm not sure if it's more a case of what I'm clinging to out of desperation or what.

I've wondered that myself TBH. But I do think Pardew would want his team to play better football - none of our signings have been long ball players really.

Howay Ian man, he's got very little to do with who we sign, it's all about price and resale value and that's the bottom line.

Well nobody knows really, I fully accept that he doesn't choose all the players but I would be surprised if he doesn't have a significant input.

Ok nobody knows. What we DO know is the we've watched two years of direct football, I think it's safe to say that's where Pardew feels comfortable. I also agree that if we had better players we'd play better football but that doesn't say an awful lot for the manager does it?

We've watched two years of mixed football, often playing brilliantly sometimes playing poorly. When we're playing poorly more is made of the 'long ball' thing obviously.

You're right that Pardew theoretically should be able to get his players to do what he wants, but in reality I don't think it's quite as simple as that. Defenders in particularly have had a lifetime of being told to play the percentages and launch it rather than lose it.

I agree with everyone that we are playing too many long balls at the moment and in general we're playing badly.

We had a run of 6 or 7 games playing passing football and we were fantastic, it's been completely and utterly abandoned, I can't think of many other games where we played well and passed it? Can you? There's wins over Man U and Stoke but they were direct, nothing wrong with that of course. What's even more worrying is I can't think of a game this season where we've played well, other than Bordeaux at home.

Pardew's main concern is what we do without the ball, until he gets the players to focus on what we do with it I can't take your second paragraph seriously, he's not doing anything positive to affect the way we attack teams, he's severely limiting us with the rigidity based on not conceding. Even our set pieces are defensive, I'm convinced after watching it for so long that the loft to the back post is designed to stop us being caught on the break.

'We suck at corners. Wait I know! Let's sign Carroll back. That will magically solve every thing!'

At least it's practical. A popular view on here is that you just fill your outfield positions with technically solid players and they'll always create and score goals.

It's a combination of awful organisation, poor delivery, and, in particular, lack of willing and able attackers of the ball.

Although this is a problem we need to sort out, it's not been a consistent one. Even with reasonable/good deliver, we are still nowhere near them and that's grips my pisser.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest bimpy474

Reached a new low with this today like. :lol:

Fucking gobsmackingly bad.

Every time Elliot hit it to him, Q.P.R put two on him. Amazingly we just continued to do it. It's so bad it's actually funny.

I'm starting to think everytime we get a corner the crowd should go 'oooooo' (like you do to try and put pressure on an opposing keeper when they take a goal kick) just to highlight how disappointing and painful these are :lol: Or we should take some giant inflatable penises to wave everytime we get awarded a corner