Man Utd 2 - 1 Newcastle Utd - 26/09/12 (LC R3) - post-match from page 33

Beren

So he did we play (been traveling last day)?  Decent?

My view -

Well we could have actually won the game, because Man U had a very inexperienced back four. They couldn't handle Shola or set pieces and we had plenty of chances.

Having said that, Man U's passing and ability to keep the ball was a lot better and they created chances as well. It could have gone either way.

We did look decent going forward at times, but we seemed to get far more time and space in their half than we'd get in a normal Premiership game.

Guest Roger Kint

Just read one of the worst bias match reports I've ever read in my life in the Guardian, Rooney's name only mentioned eleven times. Thought we played pretty well but Obertan still turbo shit. Would rather still be in the hat but not crying to be out like that.

Probably best you dont read the Sun or the Star then. Star doesnt even mention Cisse's o/head kick in the 20 words about us while the Sun's ratings were more than a little shit. Didnt bother reading the report as the match comment was some patronising guff about us playing a part.

My ratings;

Elliot -8 starting to look a good back up keeper.

Perch-6 was ok

Williamson- 5 beaten one too many times for my liking

Colo-6 doesn't look match sharp IMO

Tav-7 really impressed with his control, naïve going forward

Obertan-5 same old stuff, two decent runs, the rest shite

Gosling-6 actually played a little better, still not sure

Tiote-7 needed a passer alongside him

Marveaux-6 composed on the ball but seems to slow the pace down when he's got it

Vuckic-6 some good touches but still struggling to impact the game enough

Ameobi-7 I thought he was a handful for them, struggled without support though.

Fergy- 8 good cameo

Bigi-7 better than gosling

Cisse-8 back

Guest Roger Kint

My ratings;

Elliot -8 starting to look a good back up keeper.

Perch-6 was ok

Williamson- 5 beaten one too many times for my liking

Colo-6 doesn't look match sharp IMO

Tav-7 really impressed with his control, naïve going forward

Obertan-5 same old stuff, two decent runs, the rest shite

Gosling-6 actually played a little better, still not sure

Tiote-7 needed a passer alongside him

Marveaux-6 composed on the ball but seems to slow the pace down when he's got it

Vuckic-6 some good touches but still struggling to impact the game enough

Ameobi-7 I thought he was a handful for them, struggled without support though.

Fergy- 8 good cameo

Bigi-7 better than gosling

Cisse-8 back

Pretty much spot on imo

I'm not sure why we even bother entering these cup competitions anymore if we have no intention of trying to win any of them.

Presumably there's no opt-out. Shame that the fans that went undermined the fans who "voted with their feet" by not spending £45 to watch our second string. Not that anyone would ever take notice of fans in this day and age.

Just read one of the worst bias match reports I've ever read in my life in the Guardian, Rooney's name only mentioned eleven times. Thought we played pretty well but Obertan still turbo s***. Would rather still be in the hat but not crying to be out like that.

Probably best you dont read the Sun or the Star then. Star doesnt even mention Cisse's o/head kick in the 20 words about us while the Sun's ratings were more than a little s***. Didnt bother reading the report as the match comment was some patronising guff about us playing a part.

Listened to a couple of match reports and interviews on the radio last night and Newcastle were not even mentioned nor any of our players.  It was like Man Utd played themselves.

It's almost like there's some kind of "pact" between the managers as to what teams they put out. Co-incidence that we were strong at the back while they were strong up front ?

Discussion in pub last night went something like :-

A) "We should have put a strong side out we'd have beaten them"

B) "Aye but Fergie would have played his strongest side then"

A) "He couldn't have as he would only see the team sheet 30 minutes befor kick-off"

IMO Ferguson would have known exactly who was in the squad the moment they left Tyneside and had a pretty clear idea of what the starting XI would be and his team selection would have been made accordingly.

However I'm pretty sure if we had had a bit more punch up front (Cisse starting, Ba or HBA on for the last half hour) we'd have won last night.

Guest Roger Kint

There is absolutely no guarantee we would have got the same draw.

Just as theres no guarantee we would have won with a different team

The numbers would have been different wouldn't they? :laugh:

It's not even just that, I can't be arsed going into it :lol:

Butterfly effect, mang.

We should have won the game :huff:

Guest Roger Kint

The numbers would have been different wouldn't they? :laugh:

13. Manchester United/Newcastle United

The unlikely lads

Some Manchester United back fours trip off the tongue. There was Denis Irwin, Steve Bruce, Gary Pallister and Paul Parker in Sir Alex Ferguson's first great team; Irwin, Ronny Johnson, Jaap Stam and Gary Neville when he made United European champions in 1999; Patrice Evra, Nemanja Vidic, Rio Ferdinand and Wes Brown when they returned to the summit nine years later.

They were names that scarcely needed to be written on the teamsheet; they just automatically appeared. But if it is a three-way battle to be crowned Ferguson's finest defence, this was surely the most obscure. Thrust together by a combination of the Capital One Cup and an injury crisis, four men with two previous United appearances between them, and one of those was as a substitute. Step forward Alexander Buttner, Scott Wootton, Michael Keane and Marnick Vermijl.

They were the greenhorn Red Devils. Seventeen years after Ferguson was famously told he couldn't win anything with kids, he emerged victorious against Newcastle, albeit aided by the more seasoned figures further forward. Anderson scored a terrific opening goal, his first for almost a year, and Tom Cleverley netted a fine first of his United career.

Under other circumstances the novelty factor would have been supplied by the return of Wayne Rooney, out injured since August, or a first start in 10 months for Darren Fletcher. But an entirely new defence is a rarity, even in a competition that ranks near the bottom of the priority list.

With Vidic, Phil Jones and Chris Smalling injured, and Evra, Ferdinand, Jonny Evans and Rafael da Silva saved for Spurs on Saturday, Ferguson turned to a group half a century his junior. Had Papiss Cisse played more than half an hour or had Newcastle deployed two strikers earlier, Ferguson's gamble might have backfired.

Instead, inexperience was not an impediment to their side's progress. "They did their best," the manager said. "They handled it quite well." Nevertheless, there was a series of mismatches at set-pieces, where Keane marked the rather taller Shola Ameobi, Vermijl was detailed with halting Fabricio Coloccini and Rooney was towered over by Mike Williamson, highlighting the perils of an untried and undersized defence.

Aerial attack appeared Newcastle's most profitable approach long before it actually produced a goal, even if it was in open play. It followed a double substitution with the most immediate of impacts. A minute after their introduction, one arrival, Shane Ferguson, crossed and another, Cisse, eluded Wootton to get off the mark for the season. "That goal was everything for him and then his feathers were up," manager Alan Pardew said.

Indeed, the introduction of a blue-chip centre-forward provided a swift education to the ingénues. With a brilliant piece of improvisation, the Sengalese launched into an acrobatic overhead kick; but for the bar, it would have been a goal-of-the-season contender. "Magnificent," added Pardew. "A highlight of the evening for me."

There were other alarms for his hosts. Keane was bamboozled by Haris Vuckic, turning away from him and shooting narrowly wide. While Vermijl overlapped enthusiastically - one curling cross could have been headed in by Javier Hernandez - he endured some shaky moments in defence, especially after Ferguson's entrance.

The Belgian made way as the back four became still younger with the introductions of two further debutants, Robbie Brady and Ryan Tunnicliffe. The latter's father, who had wagered Tunnicliffe junior would one day play for United back when he was nine, was £10,000 better off.

United's reward, meanwhile, was a fourth-round tie at Chelsea. It was secured by Anderson's swerving shot, bent back inside the post, and Cleverley's curler, the Englishman redeeming himself after a glaring first-half miss. "They were both terrific strikes," added Ferguson. "The second goal was a really good bit of football."

The scorers occupied the wider roles in a midfield diamond that had the returning Rooney at its tip. A deeper role allowed him to illustrate his passing range: a raking 60-yard drive set up Danny Welbeck for a chance, a slide-rule pass allowed Javier Hernandez to gallop clear and rattle the bar. "They are three of the best strikers in the world," said Pardew, with a hint of hyperbole.

Nevertheless, it highlighted the imbalance in the United side, frontloaded with feared forwards in front of unknown defenders. The unlikely lads appeared on a night when strangers took to the Old Trafford turf. Deep into Fergie Time, a belly-flopping pitch invader amused the Manchester United manager. The trespasser may find himself banned, the interlopers in the first team restored to the reserves, but their presence on the pitch left the manager in good heart and good humour nonetheless.

MAN OF THE MATCH: Anderson. Sidelined by the veterans in the midfield this season, the Brazilian provided a reminder of his energy. He was a bustling presence on the right of the quartet in the middle and took his goal superbly.

MANCHESTER UNITED VERDICT: Job done. A sixth successive win was secured while keeping players fresh for the visit of Tottenham on Saturday. Rooney played for 77 minutes and, his manager said, tired towards the end, but looked in good condition to play in the Premier League. Fletcher was a solid sentry in front of the back four, permitting Rooney, Cleverley and Anderson to be United's outstanding players.

NEWCASTLE VERDICT: As he has done in the Europa League, Pardew fielded a youthful team - indeed, only Cheik Tiote and Coloccini, both returning from injury, figured in his strongest side - and there were positives. Rob Elliot again looked a goalkeeper of promise and James Tavernier an attacking left-back with skill and zest. The most encouraging element for Newcastle, however, was surely Cisse's impact as a substitute. After a long wait for his first goal of the season, the Senegalese striker looked ominously sharp.

What is Pardew selling, man.

Guest Roger Kint

Hatem doesn't play in the European games at the moment so why bother resting him for the cup?  I reckon he'd have wreaked havoc against ManUre's young uns

Its hard the play while suspended, he will no doubt be starting at home next week though