sunderland 1 - 1 Newcastle United - 21/10/12 - post-match reaction from page 39

Dave

The advantage rule should be as simple as this: if impeded, you should be allowed to continue as long as you can. If it turns out that several seconds later you put in a bad ball, you shouldn't get another chance because of the original foul. If Johnson had been fouled and it had affected him to the degree that he couldn't continue his run, get a cross in or is off balance due to the foul and messes something up, then they should definitely get a free kick. He had about five seconds after a little clip on his heel, he wasn't impeded at all from this point on and carried on in exactly the same manner he would have done without a clip, he then messed up a pass. Not a case for giving them a free kick - Atkinson you giant nob end

The advantage rule should be as simple as this: if impeded, you should be allowed to continue as long as you can. If it turns out that several seconds later you put in a bad ball, you shouldn't get another chance because of the original foul. If Johnson had been fouled and it had affected him to the degree that he couldn't continue his run, get a cross in or is off balance due to the foul and messes something up, then they should definitely get a free kick. He had about five seconds after a little clip on his heel, he wasn't impeded at all from this point on and carried on in exactly the same manner he would have done without a clip, he then messed up a pass. Not a case for giving them a free kick - Atkinson you giant nob end

Spot on.

SAFC were terrible. Did they put a single shot on target? I remember a Mclean cross which Krul dealt with with ease and thats it - please feel free to add any chances on they had on target.

The ref was woeful and seemed pretty determined to make sure he got noticed.

An opportunity to seriously embarrass the scruffs went begging.

There was an incident in the first half where the linesman flagged for a foul on Johnson by Santon, Atkinson waved play on then Johnson put in an utterly w*** cross which was easily cleared.

Atkinson then blows up for the original free kick.  c***.

Yeah that was another shocker, and not the only time he went back and give them a free kick even tho he also let them play the advantage.

Yup, it as at this point i lost my blob and nearly punched my old mans telly.

You cant play advantage, allow the player to put in a cross, see it defended AND then decide that there was no advantage and bring it back for a free kick.  Its double punishment.

thats exactly how the advantage rule should be used though.

Allowing the said fouled player the time to play a ball in, he f***s a cross up and then pull it back giving him a second chance to play the ball in? He had the advantage and wasted it.

yes, thats what should happen and it is often used that way and imo many refs don't pull it back when the advantage hasn't been played out. personally i'd have lt like in rugby when the entire possession can be brought back if the advantage doesn't play out

where's PM when he's needed.

There was an incident in the first half where the linesman flagged for a foul on Johnson by Santon, Atkinson waved play on then Johnson put in an utterly w*** cross which was easily cleared.

Atkinson then blows up for the original free kick.  c***.

Yeah that was another shocker, and not the only time he went back and give them a free kick even tho he also let them play the advantage.

Yup, it as at this point i lost my blob and nearly punched my old mans telly.

You cant play advantage, allow the player to put in a cross, see it defended AND then decide that there was no advantage and bring it back for a free kick.  Its double punishment.

thats exactly how the advantage rule should be used though.

Allowing the said fouled player the time to play a ball in, he f***s a cross up and then pull it back giving him a second chance to play the ball in? He had the advantage and wasted it.

yes, thats what should happen and it is often used that way and imo many refs don't pull it back when the advantage hasn't been played out. personally i'd have lt like in rugby when the entire possession can be brought back if the advantage doesn't play out

where's PM when he's needed.

The advantage did play out but the player wasted it and was then given a second chance for free.

The Larsson free kick through the wall, comfortably saved by Timmy.

That was it, one shot on target in 90 odd minutes.

They were better last season, should have stuck with the fat bloke.  :lol:

My mates a red and whiter through and through and he fucking hates O'Neill. He says the football is shit and they are no better off than under Bruce. He says that when he airs his views at work/pub etc he gets shot down immediately.

The Larsson free kick through the wall, comfortably saved by Timmy.

That was it, one shot on target in 90 odd minutes.

They were better last season, should have stuck with the fat bloke.  :lol:

My mates a red and whiter through and through and he fucking hates O'Neill. He says the football is shit and they are no better off than under Bruce. He says that when he airs his views at work/pub etc he gets shot down immediately.

No doubt that if O'Neil had even the slightest Newcastle link he'd be getting hounded out by now just like they went after Brucey.

Results are no better than Brucey's and the quality of their play has gone back significantly.

Not surprised some of them are still fawning all over him though. Macums are a strange lot when it comes to manager/chairman/owner adulation.

FFS they had a golden opportunity to become the north-east's leading club for a while, which they royally fucked up due to Niall Quinn's incompetence and flawed decision making and he's regarded as a club legend loved by all of them.

Just had a flashback to sometime in the first half. The ball goes out for a Newcastle throw in but for some reason the Sunderland player goes to retrieve the ball on our (the fans) right hand side. He bends down, goes to scoop it up and misses. He tries again, misses. Surely he couldn't do it again? You'd be wrong. In the end I think the ball boy had to pick it up and hand it to him.

Massive example of clutching at straws, but why are free kicks no longer taken from the point of the infringement? Williamson fouls Saha and Larsson moves the ball 10 metres closer to the goal. It's a disgrace and cost us massively on Sunday.

I didn't notice myself in the ground on Sunday but watching the replays yesterday and today, it's really beginning to piss me off and think of what could have been.

Guest neesy111

i managed to piss into a can as we were queuing on the way there in the central, was about to burst, got serious bladder issues when drinking

Right behind a lass as well. :lol: