Newcastle United 3 - 0 Wigan - 03/12/12 - post-match reaction from page 41

Dave

Haven't trawled through the last few pages but I can't be the only one to be impressed by that Kone chap.

It's a shame DW won't entertain the fat bloke for a bit of bargain business as he would be high on my list for a punt this January.

just me thinking their passing was far superior to ours, as was their movement and (echo from their game down the road) had they stayed at 11 men were more likely to win ?

Martinez's teams always knock it about well but i didn't think they were threatening at all.

And anyway, they didn't stay at 11 men; some slick passing from us forced them into losing a man. We came out of the blocks well.

That particular hypothetical doesn't make any sense imo.

Guest Geordiesned

just me thinking their passing was far superior to ours, as was their movement and (echo from their game down the road) had they stayed at 11 men were more likely to win ?

At this moment in time I couldn't give a shit. A win is a win.

A team that has been shit at passing all season isn't suddenly going to become brilliant just because they're playing 10 men.

The first half proves tactics and formations aren't as important as some claim when you just keep it simple and short. Worked a treat and we looked as good as we have all season.

Second half  :anguish: playing for 2-0 is fairly inexcusable considering the circumstances. Still good enough to limit them completely but we should have had 4 or 5 tonight.

Have to agree. It's the movement, their players often had good options. It's bizarre we can't do much of that at all even with more men than the opposition!

Still, we won!

Agreed.

Was alarming how little it looked like we had an extra man for long periods.

Ffs man. Their only spell of real pressure came right after half-time. Did they have a shot in said spell? They had the odd half-chance here and there because we played the contain game all second half. Which was fine; we're short on numbers and have two away games coming up (including a trip to the continent).

Wigan pass and move well, it's one of their main abilities. But like fuck did they ever look like they could win the game tbh, 10 or 11 men.

Whinging for the sake of it tbh.

The first half proves tactics and formations aren't as important as some claim when you just keep it simple and short. Worked a treat and we looked as good as we have all season.

Second half  :anguish: playing for 2-0 is fairly inexcusable considering the circumstances. Still good enough to limit them completely but we should have had 4 or 5 tonight.

Absolute horseshit man. Besides, there was still more time spent in their half than ours.

Guest firetotheworks

I've just got back. It's still not exactly  how I would like it, but that was so, so much better.

Playing 3 in the middle made Anita and Marveaux look much more comfortable and allowed them to play to their advantages, even before they went down to 10 men.

We just simply looked better in that formation.

Krul 6

Santon 8

Coloccini 7

Williamson 5

Simpson 7

Tiote 7

Anita 8

Jonas 6

Marveaux 8.5

Cisse 7

Ba 7.5

Bigirimana 7

Ferguson 5.5

Sammy 5.5

Absolute horseshit man. Besides, there was still more time spent in their half than ours.

2-0 up at half time at home against a poor team with 10 men? We sat back and the first 20 mins of the second half was all them.

No, your view is realistic.

Against Stoke, none of the front six were comfortable on the ball. Tonight, we had one - Marveaux. That's still not enough.

I disagree.  In my opinion the way were were set up allowed and encouraged us to play a decent passing game.

Against Stoke, none of the front six were comfortable on the ball. Tonight, we had one - Marveaux. That's still not enough.

Just don't agree with that at all. Someone's already said; no one had less than 80% pass completion.

It wasn't perfect but the passing and movement was much better, from all of the front six. Both our full-backs had good games too, which really helped.

Just don't agree with that at all. Someone's already said; no one had less than 80% pass completion.

It wasn't perfect but the passing and movement was much better, from all of the front six. Both our full-backs had good games too, which really helped.

A lot of the passing was conservative - backwards or sideways to retain possession rather than open things up.

I'm pleased and relieved we won, but we were given far more time and space than is normal in the Premiership, and that's because we were playing at home, against a lower half of the table side, who had 10 men for 75 minutes.

I wanted a comfortable second half with a couple of goals thrown in to boost the confidence. As it turns out we only got one, but it was a feel-good pearler for a young kid that seems well liked within the group.

Job done.

A lot of the passing was conservative - backwards or sideways to retain possession rather than open things up.

I'm pleased and relieved we won, but we were given far more time and space than is normal in the Premiership, and that's because we were playing at home, against a lower half of the table side, who had 10 men for 75 minutes.

A team that were forced into having 10 men by some incisive forward passing from us early in the game.

It was conservative in the second half when the match was already won, and we were conserving energy for two pretty epic away trips coming up. We still attacked and scored in the second half, anyway.

Guest nufc1892

seen a few people mention a great atmosphere, thought it was pretty standard to be honest...

Wish someone would sniper all the retards in L7 who sing 'Your support is f***ing s**t' and 'where you park your mini bus'

Cringeworthy, childish and makes NUFC fans look like pricks

Vastly improved performance. First time this season I've enjoyed watching us, even if we were unnecessarily, if not predictably, defensive in the second half. Anita was superb along with Marveaux, whilst Jonas really is finished, sadly. More of the same pls, Pardew.  :thup: