Newcastle United 3 - 0 Wigan - 03/12/12 - post-match reaction from page 41

Dave

Still fancy us playing Jonas at right back when everyone's fit, no idea why. :lol:

Last night he seemed to be covering left back quite abit, and I seem to remember Stam getting almost every cross into the box when they were up against each other. On the flip side of that, I think yesterdays game was Simpsons best in a long time. Would be daft I think, personally think Jonas should be dropped once our players return from injury. Id play:

Tiote

Cabaye    Anita

HBA      Ba      Marveaux 

After Tiote's absolutely bogus red card and Coloccini's which to me wasn't really that clear cut either, I could not give a shit if Wigan are at all miffed about the pen and red card. About time a borderline decision went our way.

I don't understand people who claim that a penalty and a sending off are a 'double punishment'. If you didn't have the sending off people would be hoofing forwards up in the air to stop them scoring all the time.

And just keep giving away pelanties ?

Not for me like, thought it was shoulder to shoulder.  The stronger player won, well he was sent off mind.  :lol:

A forearm push is not a shoulder charge, I honestly don't understand how people can't see the difference.

I reckon that would have been the push/shoulder charge would have been a foul anywhere else on the pitch to be honest.  As Sky said - could have gone either way, but I can't see how anyway can definitively say that that wasn't a penalty.

I don't understand people who claim that a penalty and a sending off are a 'double punishment'. If you didn't have the sending off people would be hoofing forwards up in the air to stop them scoring all the time.

:lol: Exactly.

I understand where Ian is coming from. The history of this law comes from when defenders on the line would simply handle the ball to stop it going in, if I remember rightly, yeah you give away a penalty but at least you have a second chance, if they don't score, your team escapes with just a yellow card.

If Ba doesn't score that pen last night, we would have received nothing for the incident.

I understand where Ian is coming from. The history of this law comes from when defenders on the line would simply handle the ball to stop it going in, if I remember rightly, yeah you give away a penalty but at least you have a second chance, if they don't score, your team escapes with just a yellow card.

If Ba doesn't score that pen last night, we would have received nothing for the incident.

Which would've represented justice, tbh. If you make a mistake and the opponent fails to take advantage of it, that's that.

Yes, obviously if the striker is about to certainly score then you're better off clattering them at all costs if you aren't going to get sent off. At least with a penalty there is a chance it might be missed. You need the red card as well.

So you need the red card to avoid strikers getting clattered at all costs? It's a man's game, dude.

Yes, obviously if the striker is about to certainly score then you're better off clattering them at all costs if you aren't going to get sent off. At least with a penalty there is a chance it might be missed. You need the red card as well.

So you need the red card to avoid strikers getting clattered at all costs? It's a man's game, dude.

You need the red card to prevent defenders deliberately stopping goals by breaking the laws. If it becomes a rational course of action to do so, you're left with a pretty farcical game.