Newcastle United 3 - 0 Wigan - 03/12/12 - post-match reaction from page 41

Dave

Wigan gave us a tremendous amount of space and aften a lot of time on the ball. Was glad of that because it allowed us to realx a bit and players like Anita and Marveaux to get some confidence. Hopefully that will carry through into Fulham where, i'm sure, it will be much tighter for them (if they play).

The first half proves tactics and formations aren't as important as some claim when you just keep it simple and short.

That's not a tactic then? You might have something to say if we'd stayed 4-4-2 in the last two games and seen an improvement. As it is we've gone 4-3-3 and seen an emphasis on passing and moving because its more achievable in that formation with these players.

We didn't play 4-3-3. We obviously didn't as there was no 3rd striker, a key element in the last "3" mentioned.

Keep following me around and quoting me though. Makes me feel cool  ;)

Guest firetotheworks

Fucking hell man, seriously. Let it go, we definitely, without question lined up in a 433. I don't how you can't see that.

Might have been mentioned but just seen this on Twitter:

Lee Ryder ‏@lee_ryder

One of the great atmospheres at St James' Park this. So far so good. #nufc have been "at it"as they say in the first 26 minutes.

:dowie: I must have been at a different game.

Not sure it was "one of the greatest" but on the TV it sounded like the crowd were well up for it the first 25 minutes or so.  Really loud and behind the team, not groaning at misplaced passes, and like I said earlier in the thread, they won us that penalty tonight.

Right from the off I thought the backing for the team was excellent. Seemed like the crowd were proving a point after the recent barren run.

The Wigan turnout has to be the lowest away support since SJP was redeveloped excluding European games.

How good does it feel to wake up and remember we actually won the game :lol:

This. :lol: Fully expected to be in a right grump at work this morning, but instead I'm quite cheery despite realising I'm on post duty.

Did i pass you walking down Barrack Road with a young un about 7.40 last night? Hood up?

Guest firetotheworks

Jack Flash, were you there? Did you see a cluster of Anita, Marveaux and Tiote/Bigirimana in the middle with Jonas/Sammy on the left, Cisse on the right and Ba in the middle? Everyone else did. That's 433.

Jack Flash, were you there? Did you see a cluster of Anita, Marveaux and Tiote/Bigirimana in the middle with Jonas/Sammy on the left, Cisse on the right and Ba in the middle? Everyone else did. That's 433.

I saw 4-2-3-1, from my seat in SJP. A 4-3-3 needs 3 attackers, unless Santon counts?

Guest firetotheworks

Ahhhhh, okay. Fair enough, I thought you were trying to say it was 442. Soz mate. 4231 is a variation on 433. Semantics

The first half proves tactics and formations aren't as important as some claim when you just keep it simple and short.

That's not a tactic then? You might have something to say if we'd stayed 4-4-2 in the last two games and seen an improvement. As it is we've gone 4-3-3 and seen an emphasis on passing and moving because its more achievable in that formation with these players.

We didn't play 4-3-3. We obviously didn't as there was no 3rd striker, a key element in the last "3" mentioned.

Ok, we didn't play 4-3-3, it changes absolutely nothing. Keeping it simple and short is still a tactic, and playing a 4-3-3 or a 4-2-3-1 or any of its variants encourages that tactic with these players.

Show a bit of humility man.

For someone who doesn't like people posting about formations because it's boring JF spends a hell of a lot of time posting about formations.

All work and no play makes Jack Flash a 4-2-3-1. I've said yesterday keeping it on the floor and not in the air is the biggest change.

Ok, we didn't play 4-3-3, it changes absolutely nothing. Keeping it simple and short is still a tactic, and playing a 4-3-3 or a 4-2-3-1 or any of its variants encourages that tactic with these players.

Still think Ba should be on the wing? Humility, innit.

It's getting childish now. There was no 3rd striker which means there couldn't have been a 4-3-3. Ba in the middle, Cisse favouring the right (as he has done for ages) and...

And others were saying that a 4-3-3 or a variation encourages keeping it on the floor, passing and moving and moving up the pitch as a team. You arrogantly dismissed that theory and talked about 'magical' football and 'automatically' improving the football just through placing players on a bit of paper in a certain shape. THEN you tried to say that the fact that we managed to actually pass and move a bit last night (in a 4-2-3-1) proves that it's not about tactics, it's ridiculous.

You've had your pants completely pulled down, give it up.

Still think Ba should be on the wing? Humility, innit.

It's getting childish now. There was no 3rd striker which means there couldn't have been a 4-3-3. Ba in the middle, Cisse favouring the right (as he has done for ages) and...

I think Ba should be part of a fluid front three, interchanging much as he did last night with Cisse, exactly as I've been saying.

Don't try and play the childish card again man, grown ups admit when they might have gotten something wrong.

It's a fucking play with numbers. 4-2-3-1/4-3-3/4-5-1 is bascially the same.

The main thing yesterday, and in every other game we've played well over the past 10 months, we had three central midfielders.

What I liked about yesterday was how Anita linked defence to midfield and Marveaux linked midfield to attack. That's what we've been missing in every game this season. I hope Pardew took notice.

For someone who doesn't like people posting about formations because it's boring JF spends a hell of a lot of time posting about formations.

All work and no play makes Jack Flash a 4-2-3-1. I've said yesterday keeping it on the floor and not in the air is the biggest change.

And that was accomplished how?