Newcastle United 3 - 0 Wigan - 03/12/12 - post-match reaction from page 41

Dave

For someone who doesn't like people posting about formations because it's boring JF spends a hell of a lot of time posting about formations.

All work and no play makes Jack Flash a 4-2-3-1. I've said yesterday keeping it on the floor and not in the air is the biggest change.

It's less tempting to go long when you only have one central striker with his back to goal.

It's a f***ing play with numbers. 4-2-3-1/4-3-3/4-5-1 is bascially the same.

The main thing yesterday, and in every other game we've played well over the past 10 months, we had three central midfielders.

What I liked about yesterday was how Anita linked defence to midfield and Marveaux linked midfield to attack. That's what we've been missing in every game this season. I hope Pardew took notice.

:thup: well that and Ba and Cisse actually had good movement and linked up well together and didn't stand up there like statues.

And others were saying that a 4-3-3 or a variation encourages keeping it on the floor, passing and moving and moving up the pitch as a team. You arrogantly dismissed that theory and talked about 'magical' football and 'automatically' improving the football just through placing players on a bit of paper in a certain shape. THEN you tried to say that the fact that we managed to actually pass and move a bit last night (in a 4-2-3-1) proves that it's not about tactics, it's ridiculous.

You've had your pants completely pulled down, give it up.

The word "variation" is getting a good run out this morning...

And others were saying that a 4-3-3 or a variation encourages keeping it on the floor, passing and moving and moving up the pitch as a team. You arrogantly dismissed that theory and talked about 'magical' football and 'automatically' improving the football just through placing players on a bit of paper in a certain shape. THEN you tried to say that the fact that we managed to actually pass and move a bit last night (in a 4-2-3-1) proves that it's not about tactics, it's ridiculous.

Haha, right o, that's the best you've got to offer :thup:

For someone who doesn't like people posting about formations because it's boring JF spends a hell of a lot of time posting about formations.

All work and no play makes Jack Flash a 4-2-3-1. I've said yesterday keeping it on the floor and not in the air is the biggest change.

And that was accomplished how?

By throwing it to a defender? It's interesting to see how Krul did that and we then subsequently passed it round more than usual and didn't immediately concede pressure.

Probably just the formation though.

Haha, right o, that's the best you've got to offer :thup:

Santon was our best/only attacking player down the left. If that made us into a 4-3-3 then fill your boots.

It's a mixture of formation and mentality.... you can't have one without the other they go hand in hand.

If we played the system we played last night and hoofed we would have probably lost, but as it is Pardew saw sense for once.

Changing the system and bringing Marveaux in was clearly a big reason for the improvement in performance though.

And that was accomplished how?

By throwing it to a defender? It's interesting to see how Krul did that and we then subsequently passed it round more than usual and didn't immediately concede pressure.

Probably just the formation though.

No, you're absolutely right.  It's a huge coincidence that we've played better football after changing formation.  That and Krul rolling it out.

Amazing, someone should tell all these managers that they're wasting their time on the training pitch, they just need to get their keeper to throw it out.

How good does it feel to wake up and remember we actually won the game :lol:

This. :lol: Fully expected to be in a right grump at work this morning, but instead I'm quite cheery despite realising I'm on post duty.

Did i pass you walking down Barrack Road with a young un about 7.40 last night? Hood up?

Nope! :)

I was in the Black Garter at that time. :lol:

Much better performance, shape and passing last night. :thup: It's nice to have a good feeling, the morning after a win - had almost forgotten what it felt like. :)

Our Europa league team almost always pleases me this season. Anita, Bigi, Ferguson, Sammy, Marv :thup:

How good does it feel to wake up and remember we actually won the game :lol:

This. :lol: Fully expected to be in a right grump at work this morning, but instead I'm quite cheery despite realising I'm on post duty.

Did i pass you walking down Barrack Road with a young un about 7.40 last night? Hood up?

Nope! :)

I was in the Black Garter at that time. :lol:

:rose: :naughty:

Much better performance, shape and passing last night. :thup: It's nice to have a good feeling, the morning after a win - had almost forgotten what it felt like. :)

Our Europa league team almost always pleases me this season. Anita, Bigi, Ferguson, Sammy, Marv :thup:

:thup: