Roberto Martinez

Minhosa

Results speak for themselves. Managed to keep a L1 club in the Premiership for how many years now? He'll do well at a bigger club with more resources.

Roy Hodgson? Brendan Rodgers? Sam Allardyce?

http://i.imgur.com/S0W6N.gif

:lol:

Jury's still out on Rodgers, I think he'll be okay at Liverpool. Neither Hodgson nor Big Sam has ever run the kind of fluid, attacking football that Martinez preaches, which is the kind of football it takes to win these days.

Playing devil's advocate here - but 'fluid, attacking football' is clearly not the only kind of football it takes to win these days.  That's a bit of a sweeping generalisation.

Results speak for themselves. Managed to keep a L1 club in the Premiership for how many years now? He'll do well at a bigger club with more resources.

Jury's still out on Rodgers, I think he'll be okay at Liverpool. Neither Hodgson nor Big Sam has ever run the kind of fluid, attacking football that Martinez preaches, which is the kind of football it takes to win these days.

Playing devil's advocate here - but 'fluid, attacking football' is clearly not the only kind of football it takes to win these days.  That's a bit of a sweeping generalisation.

More often than not, it is though. Not many teams are going to be successful playing Big Sam's hoofball.

My point is, I believe Martinez would be far more successful at a bigger club with more resources employing his style of football than Big Sam or Hodgson ever were employing theirs.

More often than not, it is though. Not many teams are going to be successful playing Big Sam's hoofball.

My point is, I believe Martinez would be far more successful at a bigger club with more resources employing his style of football than Big Sam or Hodgson ever were employing theirs.

Thing is, if you were forced to watch Wigan every week you'd probably revise that opinion.

Martinez goes about his business the right way. No persistent talk of fucking tiki taka or possession stats either, false 9s or all the other terminology that irritates the living hell out of me.

He has his team playing very good football with very little resources. Wigan towards the end of last season were terrific, they've taken some of that into this season as well. He's developing as a manager, obviously.

His loyalty is probably his best asset, had a chance at some good jobs but decided against it.

Apart from that the jury is still out for me if he's good enough to make it as a top manager. Think he should take that next mid table top half job that comes along and show what he can do there, either way seems wasted at Wigan.

Like the passing his teams do, but weak defensively, unorganised to a point and some of his buys just haven't worked out.

I still can't make my mind up about his ability to perform on a bigger stage. Games like last night shows frailty in his abilities, I think one moment captured it for me, when Wigan had that free kick 25 yards or so out and ended it passing back to the keeper. Too often last night especially in the first half they tried to play too much football at the back and were caught.

But then there are performances last year against us and Manure where you think this guy has something special about him.

I still can't make my mind up about his ability to perform on a bigger stage. Games like last night shows frailty in his abilities, I think one moment captured it for me, when Wigan had that free kick 25 yards or so out and ended it passing back to the keeper. Too often last night especially in the first half they tried to play too much football at the back and were caught.

But then there are performances last year against us and Manure where you think this guy has something special about him.

Last night as in when they were hit by a red card and a penalty after 2 seconds?

Last night as in when they were hit by a red card and a penalty after 2 seconds?

That has no bearing on the philosophy. They were poor last night, and made some naive decisions in terms of the way they played, irrespective of whether they were playing with 10 or 11 men.

Thing is, if you were forced to watch Wigan every week you'd probably revise that opinion.

I feel they would've gone down a long time ago without Martinez as manager. Really are a bunch of overachievers.

Guest firetotheworks

I've never known a team go from being so absolutely terrible to more or less being 1970s Brazil as soon as it looks like they're definitely going to get relegated.

Guest Howaythetoon

He's a bit flavour of the month type manager but someone who is obviously talented. I like his style, I like his methods, I like him as a person, but I don't think he's strong enough for a job like Newcastle (or similar clubs) at the moment. Perhaps that's why he turned down Liverpool.

Wigan play attacking football and are very easy on the eye but off the ball they can be shocking. He's like the opposite to Pardew, sets his team up well going forward but defensively there isn't much there.

No idea whether he's actually any good... the inconsistency of his team is crazy. Could just be down to the players being generally poor obviously. I'd like to see him take a bigger job soon.

I like his positive approach, but most successful teams are built first on organisation.

Guest malandro

He's kept Wigan in the PL by playing good football despite having a pauper's budget and losing his best players season after season. He also had a big role to play in where Swansea are now and how they play.

Be happy to see him at SJP when AP inevitably gets sacked.

Love Martinez, but we've just beat his team 3-0.  Instead of slagging off our own manager and saying you'd take Martinez right now give Pardew a chance to turn it around, he deserves at least that much respect.

:thup:

Guest malandro

Love Martinez, but we've just beat his team 3-0.  Instead of slagging off our own manager and saying you'd take Martinez right now give Pardew a chance to turn it around, he deserves at least that much respect.

That's not what I said is it?

:thup:

Was just going to post the exact same thing. Its definitely a case of "grass is always greener". I think its characteristic of the knee-jerk nature of this forum that a few people are saying that they'd "love to see" a manager here who we've just beaten 3-0 and who has just kept Wigan up for a couple of seasons (not to discredit that though). We'd inevitably be hounding Martinez out after a few poor results and the vicious circle continues.

Guest malandro

The only real knee jerking is jumping to conclusions about the respective managers merits based on one result against ten men.

The only real knee jerking is jumping to conclusions about the respective managers merits based on one result against ten men.

Could we base it on where they finish at the end of a season and how much has been spent on the squads?

Probs more based on the fact he took over a job where no one wanted him, replacing a very well liked guy and managed to get us our highest placed PL finish in 8 years with limited resources.

Guest hydeous

Had a question and I'm not sure where to put it.

Who scouts for a new manager at a football club?

When everyone here is pissed off at Pardew, a lot of names seem to be bandied about, but they're almost always the usual suspects - Martinez, Jol, etc.

For instance, who at swansea thought of Laudrup with his attacking philosophy and figured he'd be a good manager for their players?

There are a lot of very good ex-players who are decent managers at the lesser known teams around Europe, but managers like MON and Fat Sam still have premier league jobs.

For us would it be something Llambias would look at? Do you think he's got a list of managers that he thinks will do well with our team and updates Ashley with that list?

Agents and fixers - Laudrup probably fancied a job in the Premier League, not a chance he was going to go straight into a top 6 or 7 team, so the only way to make it to the Premier League is to take a perceived lower job. Cue agents etc. making it known he would be interested. In the background you don't know who has applied or indicated they want the job. For all we know Shearer told them he would be interested.

Chairman/DOF draw up shortlist from applicants/agent tip offs and anyone doing particularly well elsewhere who they think they could get for cheap, and then work out best man for the job given the role and resources likely to be available.

Dead easy really.