Roberto Martinez

Minhosa

People find it easy to write inane nonsense. Martinez is a special coach. He isn't as tactically tight as a Mourinho or Pellegrini but he has the 'x' factor and a pure vision of the game. When he does leave Wigan and go to a club that is more competitive this will become clear.

Alex Ferguson, Arsene Wenger, Kevin Keegan, Martin Jol

Aye, that's a stupid argument to make. For every manager that failed when trading up you can find another that succeeded. Completely unrelated, imho.

Exactly my point mate :)

Aye, that's a stupid argument to make. For every manager that failed when trading up you can find another that succeeded. Completely unrelated, imho.

Exactly my point mate :)

Yeah, I was trying to support you :D

Guest firetotheworks

I was making pretty much the same point mate. Sometimes there's no way of being able to know. I thought Steve Clarke and Michael Laudrup would fall on their arses this season, as we've learned, they still might next season. It's a minefield and it's a long time before anyone can be deemed a success and far too quick for the same to be deemed a failure.

I was making pretty much the same point mate. Sometimes there's no way of being able to know. I thought Steve Clarke and Michael Laudrup would fall on their arses this season, as we've learned, they still might next season. It's a minefield and it's a long time before anyone can be deemed a success and far too quick for the same to be deemed a failure.

Laudrup has already proven himself to be a good manager who believes the game should be played in a certain way. Not sure why you thought he would fall on his arse.

Laudrup has had problems at the club's he's been in, but very few of them related to what happened in the pitch. He's proven himself, imho.

I'm biased like because I am pretty much in love with the man. :lol:

Wanted him as Keegan's replacement 4 years ago.

Eurogoals as a kid watching Laudrup setting up Romário man.  :notworthy:

It wasn't his fault since Cruyff sort of forced him out, but I'll never forgive him turning out in the white c***s' shirt.

Aside from that, absolutely mouth-watering player.

As a manager, my only problem with him is that he seems to have problems settling at clubs. Both at Getafe and Mallorca he ended up antagonizing the board and bolting/being fired despite pretty good results.

It wasn't his fault since Cruyff sort of forced him out, but I'll never forgive him turning out in the white c***s' shirt.

As a manager, my only problem with him is that he seems to have problems settling at clubs. Both at Getafe and Mallorca he ended up antagonizing the board and bolting/being fired despite pretty good results.

It's exactly what Cruyff done as well though. Ajax said we don't think your good enough anymore, so he goes to Feyenoord and wins the title with them. :lol:

Laudrup has had problems at the club's he's been in, but very few of them related to what happened in the pitch. He's proven himself, imho.

I'm biased like because I am pretty much in love with the man. :lol:

Wanted him as Keegan's replacement 4 years ago.

Eurogoals as a kid watching Laudrup setting up Romário man.  :notworthy:

For me Laudrup is the manager of the first half of the season.

Looking at Swansea he's taken some of the over complex neutral passing out of thier game and the two 'wide forwards' run a little bit more direct and are sometimes 'hit' a bit earlier with longer passes. It's a potent mix of retention and breaking at pace. Swansea are at this moment playing at a very high level and I doubt they can keep it up as inj and fatigue start to hit a smallish squad.

The Arsenal game was interesting because Swansea are now playing a very similar game to the Wenger template with players of less quality. Wenger had nothing left to say apart from the fact his contention the players 'we're tired'. Laudrup has added an extra dimension to Swansea and lifted them to a more dangerous attacking side far in excess to where they were with Rodgers.

It's exactly what Cruyff done as well though. Ajax said we don't think your good enough anymore, so he goes to Feyenoord and wins the title with them. :lol:

Think there are different rules for these kinds of guys. ;)

Keegan's a strange example. Not even sure what you're getting at with that one. Same with Jol.

Keegan did well when given resources where others had failed (NUFC, Fulham).  Jol came from a smaller, poorer team and did a good job when given resources.

The point is you can trot out lists of managers who haven't succeeded when they've stepped up and you can trot out a list of managers who have succeeded.  Just because Hodgson or A.N.Other failed to make the step up doesn't mean that everyone will.

Jol was sacked. Keegan did brilliantly with and without resources.

Wigan tread water every season with a squad that is always just about good enough to avoid relegation. I don't see much to support the idea that Martinez could step up with more money to spend.

Jol was sacked. Keegan did brilliantly with and without resources.

Wigan tread water every season with a squad that is always just about good enough to avoid relegation. I don't see much to support the idea that Martinez could step up with more money to spend.

I am not even convinced that his transfer record is that exemplary.  Although the same could be said for most managers in all honesty.

He's so much better than that piece of shit we have here, I'd love him at SJP. Very unrealistic, however.

:facepalm:

Makes me die a little inside thinking other fans/journalists may read stuff like that :lol:

Results speak for themselves. Managed to keep a L1 club in the Premiership for how many years now? He'll do well at a bigger club with more resources.

Roy Hodgson? Brendan Rodgers? Sam Allardyce?

http://i.imgur.com/S0W6N.gif

:lol:

Jury's still out on Rodgers, I think he'll be okay at Liverpool. Neither Hodgson nor Big Sam has ever run the kind of fluid, attacking football that Martinez preaches, which is the kind of football it takes to win these days.