Loïc Remy

Guest bimpy474
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Loic Remy farewell tour will have to wait a match. Kind of p*ssed we didn't get this guy signed up officially. He's a fantastic player.

Dont think we ever had a chance really, shame, like you said, he is a great player.  Deserves to be in a better set up than the dross Pardew delivers.

Guest Nixon

I can't necessarily explain why, but this seems awfully reminiscent of Demba Ba's situation here.

Remy is scoring goals and looking very dangerous. He's certainly showed why Marseille were willing to pay a high fee for him, while also proving his form in the Premier League wasn't temporary. However I can't help but feel his last two clubs (ourselves and QPR) have fed into him, at least tactically.

He's the focal point of our forward line, and thus we give him chance after chance. I'd be very curious to see how he reacts to being placed at Arsenal for example. Occasionally benched, rotated in and out of the team, I think he needs confidence and consistency to truly perform.

We've been quite a talismanic side when it comes to strikers under Pardew. We'd only just got rid of Carroll before Ba was the main man. Then Cissé took the mantle before it returned to Ba again. We don't seem to try and accommodate more than one striker.

I'm sure for Remy that isn't the concern though. He's clearly a confident individual and thus wants to be at the top. I'd like to see us try him in a front three with De Jong before the season is out. That way if/when he departs the club, we know the kind of assets we need from his replacement (pace, direct nature of play etc).

I can't necessarily explain why, but this seems awfully reminiscent of Demba Ba's situation here.

Remy is scoring goals and looking very dangerous. He's certainly showed why Marseille were willing to pay a high fee for him, while also proving his form in the Premier League wasn't temporary. However I can't help but feel his last two clubs (ourselves and QPR) have fed into him, at least tactically.

He's the focal point of our forward line, and thus we give him chance after chance. I'd be very curious to see how he reacts to being placed at Arsenal for example. Occasionally benched, rotated in and out of the team, I think he needs confidence and consistency to truly perform.

We've been quite a talismanic side when it comes to strikers under Pardew. We'd only just got rid of Carroll before Ba was the main man. Then Cissé took the mantle before it returned to Ba again. We don't seem to try and accommodate more than one striker.

I'm sure for Remy that isn't the concern though. He's clearly a confident individual and thus wants to be at the top. I'd like to see us try him in a front three with De Jong before the season is out. That way if/when he departs the club, we know the kind of assets we need from his replacement (pace, direct nature of play etc).

I think that's being kind to us. We've been fortunate enough to have at least one excellent striker at the club during every season under Pardew, and we've relied on them near-implicitly. That's not to say other teams don't, but saying we're 'talismanic' suggests it's a concious gameplan when, really, it isn't. It's just good fortune that we've had such good strikers who've had the ability to conjure something out of minimal attacking cohesion.

I'm sure for Remy that isn't the concern though. He's clearly a confident individual and thus wants to be at the top. I'd like to see us try him in a front three with De Jong before the season is out.

:thup:

We need to try Remy - De Jong - Ben Arfa before season is over. We just have too. Even Cisse there might work.

I think that's being kind to us. We've been fortunate enough to have at least one excellent striker at the club during every season under Pardew, and we've relied on them near-implicitly. That's not to say other teams don't, but saying we're 'talismanic' suggests it's a concious gameplan when, really, it isn't. It's just good fortune that we've had such good strikers who've had the ability to conjure something out of minimal attacking cohesion.

How in the juddering fuck is it solely 'good fortune' to have brought in decent strikers? Honestly, Ashley must have one hell of a rabbits foot tucked away. :lol:

We either have decent players (for which Pardew gets a credit, especially for the likes of your highlighted Ba), or we have unfathomably randomly pulled together a decent squad on the cheap, or the squad isn't the best and Pardew is doing ok. I'd tend towards the first option myself.

How in the juddering fuck is it solely 'good fortune' to have brought in decent strikers? Honestly, Ashley must have one hell of a rabbits foot tucked away. :lol:

We either have decent players (for which Pardew gets a credit, especially for the likes of your highlighted Ba), or we have unfathomably randomly pulled together a decent squad on the cheap, or the squad isn't the best and Pardew is doing ok. I'd tend towards the first option myself.

I wasn't doubting the transfer policy in this instance. I'm saying that it's good fortune to have had had brilliant strikers to transform our piece-of-shit set-up into one that gets a few goals and a few wins now and again. That's my point.

Like I said, that can be said for a lot of teams, but I was challenging Nixon's idea that we have a concious plan to dedicate our play around one talismanic striker. I don't think it's that at all; for a start we wouldn't have fucked about putting them on the wing, etc.

Guest Nixon

Why do we have to try that?

And Cisse there did work.

Because we need to improve both quality and quantity of strikers at this football club. One of those potential additions could be Luuk De Jong. He's clearly an intelligent player, but he's also a bit timid.

I completely agree btw, the implementation of Cissé has worked in the past, however I'm inclined to think any decent striker could fill his role in that formation. I think if we can get De Jong into the role Cissé held we actually gain a more evolved front three because he's smart enough to create chances too.

This club is about acquiring players that are essentially projects. De Jong is someway from the finished article, however with time, with work in the right areas, we could fashion a more than solid addition to our forward options.

Guest Nixon

How in the juddering f*** is it solely 'good fortune' to have brought in decent strikers? Honestly, Ashley must have one hell of a rabbits foot tucked away. :lol:

I wasn't doubting the transfer policy in this instance. I'm saying that it's good fortune to have had had brilliant strikers to transform our piece-of-s*** set-up into one that gets a few goals and a few wins now and again. That's my point.

Like I said, that can be said for a lot of teams, but I was challenging Nixon's idea that we have a concious plan to dedicate our play around one talismanic striker. I don't think it's that at all; for a start we wouldn't have f***ed about putting them on the wing, etc.

I don't think we have conscious plan to operate this way, it's just the way it has worked.

Because we haven't? and how many times have we tried with Cisse there? I'm not talking positions, I'm talking exactly those three players for at least 70minutes.

Cisse should stay up top definitely, I think he's on the brink of regaining some form and that will only be improved if we can play with Remy and Ben Arfa just off him, I'd love to see a 4-3-3 with Remy and HBA either side, but can't see it happening unfortunately, not with this fucknugget in charge.

I have my doubts about whether LDJ can become a goal scoring threat and to drop Cisse in favour of possibly getting some kind of form out of LDJ and securing him for the future, just at the time when Cisse finally looks like he could turn a corner is too big a risk to take imho. Drop Cisse now and it could be game over for him.

I wasn't doubting the transfer policy in this instance. I'm saying that it's good fortune to have had had brilliant strikers to transform our piece-of-shit set-up into one that gets a few goals and a few wins now and again. That's my point.

Like I said, that can be said for a lot of teams, but I was challenging Nixon's idea that we have a concious plan to dedicate our play around one talismanic striker. I don't think it's that at all; for a start we wouldn't have fucked about putting them on the wing, etc.

Fair enough. I don't think the plan was to rely on the single striker, or at least it shouldn't be. But beyond the utter unwillingness to invest, i think the players we aim for shows a semblance of a decent conscious effort.

Drinking in the afternoon does me no favours. :lol:

Because we haven't? and how many times have we tried with Cisse there? I'm not talking positions, I'm talking exactly those three players for at least 70minutes.

Me too.

I'd not bother with it, personally. Too much reliance on Remy. Cisse creates space for him and Hatem as we saw at Villa.

Fair enough. I don't think the plan was to rely on the single striker, or at least it shouldn't be. But beyond the utter unwillingness to invest, i think the players we aim for shows a semblance of a decent conscious effort.

I can't dismiss the quality of those we've signed; generally it's been very good, even if player targeting is based on more than 'how Player X can fit in at Alan Pardew's Newcastle United'. I've said on more than one occasion that I'm a big fan of certain elements of our transfer policy.

I don't think the plan is to rely on a single striker either, even though we do.

Which is the central theme to what I'm saying: put simply - I don't believe there is a plan; he makes it up as he goes along. Fortunately :pow:, we've always had a belting striker to help us out. There certainly isn't any particular 'ethos' to our offensive game, aside from the 4-3-3 spell in 2012 - where we put the impetus on our best attackers and ripped teams to bits.

Cisse should stay up top definitely, I think he's on the brink of regaining some form and that will only be improved if we can play with Remy and Ben Arfa just off him, I'd love to see a 4-3-3 with Remy and HBA either side, but can't see it happening unfortunately, not with this fucknugget in charge.

I have my doubts about whether LDJ can become a goal scoring threat and to drop Cisse in favour of possibly getting some kind of form out of LDJ and securing him for the future, just at the time when Cisse finally looks like he could turn a corner is too big a risk to take imho. Drop Cisse now and it could be game over for him.

That would click if it was given enough time without HBA getting discarded as has happened earlier this season. But as Pardew has said previously that he wants to give Cisse priority because he's our player then from his POV wouldn't it make more sense to leave Remy out for a bit longer? If he's serious about keeping De Jong then he should give him a run of games alongside Cisse rather than the uncommitted Remy. Of course they won't score many goals and we will lose games, but hey ho, we've got 40 points so all is well.

"Out for three games", misses at least five. So fucking typical us :lol:

He'll be back for the last 2 or 3 to get match fitness.

Personally I'd not play him again. (Unless by some miracle they persuade him to sign)

Agree, no point in playing him now.

EDIT: Pardew will obviously play him as soon as possible to try and save his own skin.