Our backroom staff/lack of them?

Tooj

Arsenal have 14 coaches.

And Wenger doesn't listen to any of them.  :p

However, they are very similar in what they coach and how they coach it and they're all geared towards producing 1 style of football. They do it so each coach can oversee a smaller group of players and provide more feedback. Pretty much 'class size/teacher' type of deal. They work a lot on passing, movement and movement of the football '3 second averages' over the course of the training session is what they aim for (which again is why they have all those coaches keeping an eye on their group so they can see if a player is retaining the ball longer than 3 seconds or not).

Interesting, didn't know that.

NO way on earth our coaching is upto scratch.

Think Wenger got pissy about Bould getting credit at the start of the season re Arsenals sudden ability to defend so he apparently kinda sidelined him and suddenly Arsenal can't defend again

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

The analysts will be doing the dossiers these days.

Yup. Big central database of matches recorded and shared.

Yep, we have a few of them, Ben Stevens, Jamie Harley et al. Know nothing about them.

http://www.slideshare.net/03akkasi/boas-leaked-report?from=ss_embed

Remember when this came out back in the day? Apparently done by AVB when he was Mourinho's Opposition Analyst at Chelsea.

Good stuff, but I find the Mourinho type dossier a bit overloading on players.

Some of them love it, most aren't too interested. I can certainly see the benefits to learning your opponent, though, the key points at least.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Yep, we have a few of them, Ben Stevens, Jamie Harley et al. Know nothing about them.

Used to work at Southampton, same time as Pardew was manager.

Raising this issue again, I think one thing we certainly seem to be missing out on is at boardroom level having somebody that knows football. Of course Llambias is never going to challenge Ashley and this is probably why we'll never get somebody with a bit of football nous appointed too.

Remember when there were rumours of David Dein being appointed? :(

A few years ago when Boro looked like going down. Did Gibson not bring in Venables to help thier manager and save them from the drop,

Maybe we need to do something like that and  bring in someone to help Pardew, until the end of the season . As i still think we have enough good players to get us out ot trouble.

Guest bimpy474

A few years ago when Boro looked like going down. Did Gibson not bring in Venables to help thier manager and save them from the drop,

Maybe we need to do something like that and  bring in someone to help Pardew, until the end of the season . As i still think we have enough good players to get us out ot trouble.

Nice idea but Pardew is far too arrogant and has far too big an ego for that to happen. On the plus side, maybe he'd walk if that happened.

Guest expat in the pool

how about rednapp

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Arsenal have 14 coaches.

We have 6, of which 3 are fitness coaches. So I don't think a beefed up backroom is important at all. The main man and the assistant are the ones that one has to look at.

Yeah but a lot come through the youth system which plays the same style from a very early age. Could be wrong like.

Arsenal have 14 coaches.

We have 6, of which 3 are fitness coaches. So I don't think a beefed up backroom is important at all. The main man and the assistant are the ones that one has to look at.

Yeah but a lot come through the youth system which plays the same style from a very early age. Could be wrong like.

quality, not quantity innit.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought we have a bunch of scouts but based in different countries.. like Asprilla who just recommend players or us to look at and then its up to Carr to take it further, obviously Carr does his own work based on these type of talent spotters and his contacts.

GC is the only scout I'm aware off. Certainly every player we've signed in recent times has come from him.

Depends on how you classify a scout though. He's the only contracted/officially paid one I know off.

We may have other scouts on a retainer basis etc, or have contacts in other countries, but if we do, they're not doing a very good job, given the lack of players we've signed from non-GC channels.