Moussa Sissoko

Skeletor
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tiote's never remotely looked like an intelligent player, though. Not even at his best.

Aye, with a great managers help he could be much better, and that's clutching at straws tbh. Watching him over the last 18 months or so it's become clear that his poor form isn't just down to Pardew, as much as i'd like it to be.

He lacks the intelligence and common sense to be top drawer imo.

It is total bull in a china shop with Tiote. Not saying he couldn't engage his brain and use it to improve himself..but you would think or hope that just has to be down to him. Unless our coaches are more brainless or shit scared to approach him about it.

I still want Cabaye to be the deepest of the midfielders, getting forward when he can but primarily receiving the ball and pinging it out wide.

That wouldn't just be a waste of his best attributes, it would also be asking him to do something he's not very good at (bit like Pardew does with absolutely everyone). Plus, chipped passes have never worked in this team. Especially with our total lack of wingers.

Cabaye needs to be the furthest midfielder forward. Anita or Sissoko should be the deepest. Tiote should be nowhere near the side.

Cabaye's best attributes are his vision and passing. The deeper midfield role is perfect for him in the PL - when (as you've alluded to) we find ourselves with 2 good wide players.

:thup:

Deepest yes but not an out and out defensive midfielder. Remains to be seen whether Anita can build up the strength needed to play as a DM. He is great for cleaning up, receiving and passing the ball over short spaces and at a decent tempo. Just fear he gets lost due to his size. Potentially Cabs, Anita and Sissoko could work. Still think we lack goals through the middle with that though.

Guest bimpy474

Tiote's never remotely looked like an intelligent player, though. Not even at his best.

Aye, with a great managers help he could be much better, and that's clutching at straws tbh. Watching him over the last 18 months or so it's become clear that his poor form isn't just down to Pardew, as much as i'd like it to be.

He lacks the intelligence and common sense to be top drawer imo.

It is total bull in a china shop with Tiote. Not saying he couldn't engage his brain and use it to improve himself..but you would think or hope that just has to be down to him. Unless our coaches are more brainless or shit scared to approach him about it.

Yep so many needless fouls given away. I think our coaches do talk to him about it but i think it's a combination of him not being able to change, and them not being good enough to help him change.

I still want Cabaye to be the deepest of the midfielders, getting forward when he can but primarily receiving the ball and pinging it out wide.

That wouldn't just be a waste of his best attributes, it would also be asking him to do something he's not very good at (bit like Pardew does with absolutely everyone). Plus, chipped passes have never worked in this team. Especially with our total lack of wingers.

Cabaye needs to be the furthest midfielder forward. Anita or Sissoko should be the deepest. Tiote should be nowhere near the side.

Cabaye's best attributes are his vision and passing. The deeper midfield role is perfect for him in the PL - when (as you've alluded to) we find ourselves with 2 good wide players.

Deepest yes but not an out and out defensive midfielder. Remains to be seen whether Anita can build up the strength needed to play as a DM. He is great for cleaning up, receiving and passing the ball over short spaces and at a decent tempo. Just fear he gets lost due to his size. Potentially Cabs, Anita and Sissoko could work. Still think we lack goals through the middle with that though.

Anita, Cabs and Sissoko is our 2nd best combination behind Marveaux, Cabs and Sissoko.

Anita, Cabs and Sissoko is our 2nd best combination behind Marveaux, Cabs and Sissoko.

O0 Definitely what I would like to see, in fact probably most on here would.. Will never happen with the gutless excuse for tacticians and coaches we have at the club though.

Bingo. We also need to find someone capable of keeping pressure off Cabaye; his vision and passing are moot if he's constantly playing defense.

Most teams play with a midfielder who sits. 

Yeah but there's a huge difference.... ( which you tend to neglect everytime) most teams have a midfielder who is reliable positionally, passing, ability to get forward and winning the ball.

Tiote is none of these things and never has been.

For 2 years Tiote has been reliable position wise, wins the ball, his pass completion has dropped but its still the highest of all our midfielders in the high 80's although its unambitious.

Busquets can't get forward.

Mikel doesn't get forward.

Luiz is bad position wise in that role.

Carrick isn't much of a ball winner and if by going forward you mean goals and assists, nope.

Parker's poor position wise, passing is nothing to shout about and he's poor going forward. Sandro's better but would hardly list "going forward" as a strength.

Gareth Barry probably fits the description best and he's the worst player i've listed.

Javi Martinez too but he's a natural libero and a phenomenal talent. Before him Bayern deployed Gustavo who is a pure DM.

I think Arteta's lack of mobility and bite is an issue for Arsenal despite what anyone says.

At our level, the players we have in central midfield are good enough imo. They just need to play to their strengths.

Our midfield as a whole needs a simpler structure. I wouldn't mind 2 deep players (one primarily tacking and engine - the other starting attacks with passing), one box to box. Wide players who main focus is to attack, one supplying width, the other cutting in.

Or even more simple. 2 sitting in midfield. 2 wide players providing width. 2 strikers with one coming a bit deeper.

i agree. deep role like pirlo. sissoko and anita box to box would be an interesting midfield. i hope pardew will see this as our strongest combination in central midfield for next season. doubt it though :(

i agree. deep role like pirlo. sissoko and anita box to box would be an interesting midfield. i hope pardew will see this as our strongest combination in central midfield for next season. doubt it though :(

Don't think we are strong/good enough for that unless we went with a diamond in midfield. Cabaye moving laterally as a DM is asking for trouble.

Don't think we are strong/good enough for that unless we went with a diamond in midfield. Cabaye moving laterally as a DM is asking for trouble.

not sure i agree. I love marveaux but i think it might be too risky playing him in 3 man central midfield?

You dom't need need a DM if your midfield work hard as a unit and press the ball, if you decide to have a dedicated DM I think it creates a lack of desire from other midfielders to get back and help.

The DM role can be a very important one as long as they are supported so they have an easy outlet once the ball is won, no point in wanting them to be a DM without the ball and a creative midfielder with it.

Sissoko is more of your box to box type midfielder that is ideal in all types of central midfield setup, but in a three man midfield with a dedicated DM if he has burst forward to support the attack then the other CM must be aware and hang back to help out the DM, nouse a dedicated DM being left totally exposed.

One thing you definitely do need in the PL is athleticism though, as cliched as it sounds. This is why I still think Tiote still has a future for us in certain games... a lot of top teams play so fast.

IF we are going to play Benny in a free role then I say Tiote as a keep it simple DM is a must.

One thing you definitely do need in the PL is athleticism though, as cliched as it sounds. This is why I still think Tiote still has a future for us in certain games... a lot of top teams play so fast.

Agreed. especially in a Pardew team. I don't know whether Anita can be like Brittain but i'm on the fence about whether he can cope physically. His best games for us came in matches we got thumped in. For someone like Marveaux a creator, you can say at least in those games we can see what he offers going forward. But Anita? He needs to be a strong factor the other way for us imo.

Not sure about that like.  One of the problems with Tiote recently has been that he's not quick enough on the ball.  He's constantly getting caught in possession dallying around in our half.  Suggests to me that while he might have the athleticism to compete in that area he's not thinking quick enough and those extra one or two touches he's taking are costing us.

Playing a DM is fine anyway, problem is we play about 4 of the fuckers.

Guest Lalasialex

Tend to agree with mr. Dropout. We need someone who can do a demolition-job out there. Tiote is quick enough as long as the others make them self available whenever he gets the ball. He has been troubling this year, but so has Cabaye and the rest.

Don't think its fair to judge them based on this year. If Tiote is motivated, there is room for him.

Its Pardews job to make them work together, thats where the problem is. To make the best out of everybodys strengts...

Not sure about that like.  One of the problems with Tiote recently has been that he's not quick enough on the ball.  He's constantly getting caught in possession dallying around in our half.  Suggests to me that while he might have the athleticism to compete in that area he's not thinking quick enough and those extra one or two touches he's taking are costing us.

Playing a DM is fine anyway, problem is we play about 4 of the f***ers.

Of all the midfielders - Jonas is the biggest problem. At least Obertan knew what was expected of him and provided width and an outlet. Sign a real wide man please.

Every good team has a midfield player who sits and largely plays "behind the ball" in attack and in front of it in defence. If you get the other side of Busquets or even Arteta in attack, they are in deep trouble.

Shame that they very rarely do.... as shown by Barca and Arsenal's defensive record.

Also this myth that Tiote is athletic needs to stop.... Athleticism =/= Strength.

Also the physical crap is getting very tiresome.... Liverpool has Lucas and Gerrard, Arsenal has Arteta and Ramsey, Everton has Osman and Gibson, Man Utd has Carrick and Cleverly, Swansea has Britton and De Guzman and many more.

Yet we play with a load of "defensive midfielders" and have less points and more goals conceded than all of them.

Plus with Sissoko in the midfield we are hardly lacking in the physical department there is no reason to play another physically strong player who offers nothing offensively.

Agree to an extent with Mole, only thing i'd like to point out is that while Sissoko is physically strong, he is far from a physical player. Hes got the worst timing of headers in the squad, so he never wins any duels. He never tackles, and pulls out of challenges. If we needed some steel in midfield, he is not the player I would consider as the solution.

Every good team has a midfield player who sits and largely plays "behind the ball" in attack and in front of it in defence. If you get the other side of Busquets or even Arteta in attack, they are in deep trouble.

Shame that they very rarely do.... as shown by Barca and Arsenal's defensive record.

Also this myth that Tiote is athletic needs to stop.... Athleticism =/= Strength.

Also the physical crap is getting very tiresome.... Liverpool has Lucas and Gerrard, Arsenal has Arteta and Ramsey, Everton has Osman and Gibson, Man Utd has Carrick and Cleverly, Swansea has Britton and De Guzman and many more.

Yet we play with a load of "defensive midfielders" and have less points and more goals conceded than all of them.

Plus with Sissoko in the midfield we are hardly lacking in the physical department there is no reason to play another physically strong player who offers nothing offensively.

You're just agreeing with me. It rarely happens because they sit right in front of the defence and their teams mostly have the ball.

Gerrard - Lucas = lots of legs, energy and strength. Gerrard doesn't make as many forward runs but he's always been strong as owt.

Arsenal's midfield needs a huge upgrade. That's the worst CM they've had in a decade. The best? Vieira and Petit/Silva. Strength, legs, tackle, bite.

Everton & Man United, while Carrick has been immense. Their central midfields are helped out a huge amount because so much of both teams attacks comes from wide players providing width (and Carrick's the best at what he does in the division). Our midfield pattern is Tiote > Cabaye > Sissoko *lose ball*. Or at best to Santon or something. Width provides an easy outlet.

These are not great examples good central midfields. Look at Juve or Bayern.

Currently, we don't have anyone "sitting" in front of the defence, they just do as they like. I haven't mentioned defensive midfielders today, i'm simply talking about sitting in front of the day shielding it.

Tiote can get around laterally better than any of our midfielders.

Sissoko is an attacking player man. He's pretty poor defensively. He requires a proper sitter behind him, not Yohan bloody Kebab. City have always played a proper sitting midfielder alongside Yaya because defensively, he's not very effective. Turn him and he's not very interested, same with Sissoko.

Agree to an extent with Mole, only thing i'd like to point out is that while Sissoko is physically strong, he is far from a physical player. Hes got the worst timing of headers in the squad, so he never wins any duels. He never tackles, and pulls out of challenges. If we needed some steel in midfield, he is not the player I would consider as the solution.

Aye, Sissoko is an attacking player. No good in the air, doesn't put a foot in.

That's another big issue for me. All our central midfielders suck in the air. Tiote's pretty decent. Think Siss may do better defensively in that regard.

With people wanting a Mbiwa - Colo CB partnership - i'd say we have the weakest first XI in the air, in the division.

Yeah but i never said anything about a sitting midfielder not being viable..... i said a straight destroyer who has shit bricks for a brain is not viable.

A midfielder who is intelligent that breaks things up, can pass and get forward when necessary is very viable.

Tiote is none of these things and he's not athletic, he just isn't good enough.

Also its funny you mention Juve and Bayern because neither have what you describe..... Juve don't have a sitter.... the deepest midfielder is Pirlo and is he defending the backline? :lol: as for Bayern they have two box to box midfielders neither are what you describe, they are just well rounded central midfielders.

And no Sissoko isn't an attacker, who are you Pardew?