Massadio Haïdara

Optimistic Nut

Some of the posts in this thread  :kinnear:

Personally, I've always been pretty impressed with Haidara. We all know he's raw but he's ample backup to Santon, a lot more so than Dummett I reckon. It's just a nice problem to have 3 young and decent leftbacks at the club right now.

Santon seems like he'll never be surpassed unless injured, so I do agree with getting one of the others a short term loan at a championship club at worst.

I'm one of Colo's biggest fans but he wasn't up to it in the last game, therefore Mbiwa should replace him......although we may need his experience against Manu. It's a tough call but it's all down to whether Colo's head is right for the match, which is obviously very doubtful lately. I have a lot of faith in Mbiwa, he's been mostly great since his arrival.

He's better defensively than Santon already imho, just inconsistent. I wouldn't be surprised to see Haidara have the better career, as Santon doesn't seem to have developed all that much since he came to the club.

This is as close as anything - Haidara is 3 years younger than Santon and already looks as if he will be a better defender by the time he reaches Santon's age now...IF he gets the chance.

I stand by an earlier comment about Santon - he is a good footballer, but NOT a good enough defender to be played regularly against the top sides or anyone with a decent winger. The problem is that he has skill and looks good on the ball but he has never looked convincing at LB when forced to defend.

Only time will tell if Haidara is going to be a top player but he has that on his side....especially given the right management and coaching...(!)

I watched the reserve game the other day and he was a stand out. On that note Campbell won't make it IMO, his first touch is horrible, even at that level. I'm not one to write people off but that's just my opinion.

:thup: Said the exact same thing to my mate after the match regarding Campbell, never be a premiership player. Think he might even struggle in championship.

Have feared this would be the case for a while now.

Haidara is 3 years younger than Santon and already looks as if he will be a better defender by the time he reaches Santon's age now

Santon's 22 until next month. Haidara's 21.

Almost as if Merlin has altered the facts to suit his point. Unusual tactic for him.

Didn't someone mention Adam Campbell's prima donna attitude at Carlisle leading them to terminate the loan?

Not going to help him if there's any truth in that.

What's the story?

Campbell had a prima Donna attitude at Carlisle which led to them terminating his loan.

Haidara is 3 years younger than Santon and already looks as if he will be a better defender by the time he reaches Santon's age now

Almost as if Merlin has altered the facts to suit his point. Unusual tactic for him.

How very convenient for your argument that it is December, so you can put a slant on your numbers as well without being factually incorrect. There is a year and 11 months between them to the day. Time in which Haidara can continue to develop if given the chances that Santon was given. As I said, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Haidara become our first team LB within that timeframe. He looks to have more to his game defensively than Santon.

How very convenient for your argument that it is December, so you can put a slant on your numbers as well without being factually incorrect. There is a year and 11 months between them to the day. Time in which Haidara can continue to develop if given the chances that Santon was given. As I said, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Haidara become our first team LB within that timeframe. He looks to have more to his game defensively than Santon.

What else can you expect..? He is a trainee lawyer after all and they specialize in economies of scale...

I was wrong in saying 3 years, but there is 2 all but 1 month between them....and I stand by my assessment of the 2 players anyway.

It's just nice to have promising players who could go on to be very good. We've had a far worse choice in the not so decent past.

Also a bit silly to write players off at that age. Wasn't that long ago Cronaldo was the spaghetti haired twat who fell over a lot or Bale was the one who spurs never won a game with.

i like the amount of calling out ronnie is getting these days :lol:

as regards haidara from the limited amount i've seen i think given the chances he'd develop nicely and be a quality FB in a year or two

but he won't get the proper exposure

That's my fear too, and for that reason I wouldn't be adverse to see him loaned out to a Championship club or similar level. Not because he's not good enough to challenge Santon, but because he won't get enough game time here from Pardew and this will hinder his development.

I watched the reserve game the other day and he was a stand out. On that note Campbell won't make it IMO, his first touch is horrible, even at that level. I'm not one to write people off but that's just my opinion.

:thup: Said the exact same thing to my mate after the match regarding Campbell, never be a premiership player. Think he might even struggle in championship.

Same. How bad was his touch man?! I couldn't believe it, was ridiculous to watch, he must have knocked it about ten yards each touch he had. The Chelsea lads were all miles above him ability wise

When we played Cardiff in pre-season last year he was arguably the best player on the pitch. He only got a 10 minute run out but he was clearly a very gifted footballer.

Not saying you're wrong but it's a real worry if his development has gone that far backwards.

I don't know how anyone can say Haidara is less likely to be a success than Santon. From what I've seen, the difference between them is marginal. I wouldn't be against Haidara getting a run in the side like Santon has, and you'd hope we'd see a greater increase in ability after 70-odd games.

I don't know how anyone can say Haidara is less likely to be a success than Santon. From what I've seen, the difference between them is marginal. I wouldn't be against Haidara getting a run in the side like Santon has, and you'd hope we'd see a greater increase in ability after 70-odd games.

nobody did, certainly not ronaldo

What actually is Ron saying then? Looks crystal clear he doesn't think Haidara has what it takes to make it as a left back here.

So thinking he'll probably never be ready to replace Santon is the same as saying he'll never make it?

I've said a hundred times he'll probably turn out a good player in time with a few loans but if he's ever better than Santon I'll be amazed

Maybe not literally, but he certainly implied it and has been doing so for a good while yet.

I don't think this is the time to say he was wrong by the way. I'd rather wait until Haidara has displaced Santon from our first team before rubbing his nose in it.. :lol:

Haidara displace Santon. That'll be the day.

Santon may get injured, rested, move back to Italy, but it'll take a far stupider manager than Pardew to take him out permanently for Haidara.

Yes but you don't think Haidara is capable of making the step and being ready to play. People aren't disagreeing with you that Santon is better, just lost to the fact you think Haidara will never be ready for the position of left back at this club.