Pep Guardiola

ExiledGeordie

I think Barcelona need a defender that is more focused on just defending, they don't need one that is as good on the ball as Luiz is and sometimes forgets what his role is. Aye by all means buy somebody that can distribute the ball on to somebody else but get somebody in that just wants to defend first.

They should've just spunked the money on Thiago Silva when they had the chance.

We'll see, I've never seen Balanta and only heard good things about him so he might solve their problems. It's like you say though, quite clear that the defenders they have now aren't good enough. Also buying Alba was a mistake. They did so well when Abidal played at the left and could convert into a CB and let Dani play more advanced. Now they've got two fullbacks bombing forward and Busquets unable to cover for both.

Was just thinking exactly the same. :thup:

With regards to Balanta he wouldn't be an immediate fix which is why I think he should be bought alongside somebody that can make a difference here and now for them.

I hope people are now starting to realise now that Barca's dominance was mainly down to him and how Barca have looked without him shows up that bullshit that " anyone can manage them lerl".

or this bloke martino just isn't cut out for the top level

Or Guardiola took over the team with Iniesta, Messi and Xavi at his prime. Credit where it's due, but I think Martino isn't at fault for Xavi, Messi, Iniesta not caring enough about the smaller games. I mean we've seen what they can do against both Real and Man City. Obviously a manager has to be at fault for not motivating his players enough but they quite frankly just don't give a s*** at the moment and I can't put that on Martino.

if you say so, on the other hand you could look at it like real employed a top class manager with a history of proven success at the top level in european competition with the highest level of footballer, barcelona most certainly did not employ that calibre of manager and they're being rewarded for it imho

Only 2 months ago Barcelona was sitting a top the league with not one defeat and highest total points that far in the league ever. Without Messi and everyone was praising Tata for playing a different brand of football than they've been used too. Now, they lose couple as soon as Messi is back in the team and it's all Tata's fault? Just two weeks ago they beat Man City convincingly away from home. I think it's better to judge Tata when the season is over. If he's won nothing then he will surely have to go as it's unacceptable. As for now they've won the Supercopa with him, will play Copa del Rey final and are almost a given for the quarter-finals of the Champions League. It's just the league where he's failed at the moment and for me it's very clear that it's down to the players at the moment. There's not one player doing a bit of running or so on.

I don't buy that. Real Madrid have by far the best squad with the most depth in La Liga. I don't think it's all down to Carlo that they're there. They've spent wisely, brought in Isco, Illarramendi, Bale and Carvajal.

urgh wrote a reply that failed to post, fuck it can't be arsed now

Carlo's done well to bring through Jese though

Not saying he hasn't done anything like, clearly one of the better managers around even if I'm not the biggest fan of his philosophy. I'm just saying that they've built a far more logical squad than Barcelona.

I think Barcelona need a defender that is more focused on just defending, they don't need one that is as good on the ball as Luiz is and sometimes forgets what his role is. Aye by all means buy somebody that can distribute the ball on to somebody else but get somebody in that just wants to defend first.

We'll see, I've never seen Balanta and only heard good things about him so he might solve their problems. It's like you say though, quite clear that the defenders they have now aren't good enough. Also buying Alba was a mistake. They did so well when Abidal played at the left and could convert into a CB and let Dani play more advanced. Now they've got two fullbacks bombing forward and Busquets unable to cover for both.

Was it also Zubi that inserted that ridiculous clause into Thiago's contract? :lol:

Was it also Zubi that inserted that ridiculous clause into Thiago's contract? :lol:

Don't know but getting rid of him man, you saw his pass yesterday right? Unbelievable player.

They do want a defender that's good on the ball and Tata is of the Bielsa "school of thaught". Bielsa often uses midfielders as defenders because of their passing skills and ability to advance up the pitch.

Hummels would be great IMO.

They do want a defender that's good on the ball and Tata is of the Bielsa "school of thaught". Bielsa often uses midfielders as defenders because of their passing skills and ability to advance up the pitch.

Hummels would be great IMO.

I never said they should have somebody that isn't "good on the ball" I was saying that they need somebody who is competent with the ball at their feet but is more interested in defending first and foremost.

What they need more than anything else is an athletic midfielder with intensity.

They don't play with the same intensity anymore and part of it is the elephant in the room Xavi..... still a great footballer but he can't maintain the intensity that he used to.

Someone like Vidal for example, very un-barca like i know but i can't see them ever dominating like did with Xavi in his pomp again so a different approach is necessary.

What they need more than anything else is an athletic midfielder with intensity.

They don't play with the same intensity anymore and part of it is the elephant in the room Xavi..... still a great footballer but he can't maintain the intensity that he used to.

Someone like Vidal for example, very un-barca like i know but i can't see them ever dominating like did with Xavi in his pomp again so a different approach is necessary.

He's their no 1 transfer target according to several sources.