Pep Guardiola

ExiledGeordie

Good decision. Was afraid he'd put his reputation at the mercy of Abramovich or some other capricious berk and I'm delighted he hasn't. He's got a fantastic base to build from philosophically speaking because Bayern are already one of the best possession-oriented sides in the world, and if he does his job halfway well he'll win the Bundesliga in his sleep.

:thup:

Guest tollemache

On an unrelated note, I can't wait to see fickle cunt Chelsea fans - and Abramovich - swallowing their own filthy orange piss as Benitez turns them into a brilliant pressing side

On an unrelated note, I can't wait to see fickle cunt Chelsea fans - and Abramovich - swallowing their own filthy orange piss as Benitez turns them into a brilliant pressing side

Think Mou will be in - in the summer.

Guest tollemache

To be honest, I hope Mourinho tells them where to go too, along with any other manager with self-respect. Abramovich is intelligent enough to understand, I think, that he's destroyed his chances of getting Guardiola over the last few years with his insane attitude to recruitment, and that if he'd given any of his managers a fair crack at the whip he'd probably have signed the man he wanted this time round. I hope that knowledge makes him burn a bit inside and I hope that feeling intensifies when Mourinho does a deal to succeed Fergie or takes over Portugal, leaving him with a choice between giving Benitez a fair go or choosing from a pool of second-rate mercenaries.

Optimistic I know.

Guest tollemache

Would people take Rafa here?

As you might have noticed I'm relatively pro-Pardew but if Benitez offered to come here I'd bite his entire torso off

Would people take Rafa here?

As you might have noticed I'm relatively pro-Pardew but if Benitez wanted to come here I'd bite his entire torso off

I would personally hound him out via the medium of the internet.

Think he will be available in the summer. Liverpool seem happy with Rodgers, he's done Italy & Spain, no top jobs available now in Germany. Sounds a bit far fetched, mainly due to what we'd want to pay a manager, but at one point he was considering the Villa job which at the time had an awful set up.

Fucker has even managed to get something out of Torres, which is a minor miracle these days.

Guest tollemache

Why would you object? He worked an absolute miracle with Valencia, then got Liverpool punching way above their weight and won them a Champions League and came quite close to winning the Premier League which would've been almost as much of a staggering achievement as his Valencia days. He's clearly very good at putting football teams together isn't he?

The Inter flop was interesting though and is, I think, another AVB-style example of philosophical fundamentalism in football backfiring. AVB, whether he was asked to or not, tried to reverse Chelsea's philosophy and was rejected by part of the squad, while Benitez took over an incredibly clinical counterattacking side who'd just won the Champions League and tried to turn them into a pressing unit overnight, with predictable results.

Hopefully (and assuming he's been given freedom to) Guardiola will recognise that pitfall at Bayern and proceed cautiously, though given how possession-oriented they already are, and given his incredible stature, I daresay the squad will be receptive to his ideas.

Guest Slippery Sam

We stepped aside.

Glad he hasn't come to Engurland, as there's enough press wanking themselves silly over some of the managers here already.

Why would you object? He worked an absolute miracle with Valencia, then got Liverpool punching way above their weight and won them a Champions League and came quite close to winning the Premier League which would've been almost as much of a staggering achievement as his Valencia days. He's clearly very good at putting football teams together isn't he?

Aye i think he's quite underrated in this country personally, excellent tactician as well. Does rotate a shit load mind, but we won't even consider him or anyone else decent.

As for Torres he's pretty much the only one whose got the most out of him.... he was decent at Atletico but never at the level he got to perform for Liverpool and hes actually get something from him at Chelsea some how.

We will be stuck with the silver fox unfortunately.

Guest tollemache

We are aware that Benitez wouldn't look at Newcastle United for a second too, though, right?

Before anyone whinges about the board, that is purely a function of our not being established in the Champions League, through nobody's fault.

We are aware that Benitez wouldn't look at Newcastle United for a second too, though, right?

Before anyone whinges about the board, that is purely a function of our not being established in the Champions League, through nobody's fault.

Tbf he was unemployed for 3 years and probably would have jumped at it.

Guest tollemache

Something else I was thinking about managers the other day - how long before someone gives Owen Coyle another chance at a high level? Bolton went wrong but I bet his next job doesn't