Nigel Adkins sacked. Mauricio Pochettino appointed new Southampton manager

Fenham Mag

Let's get Adkins in!

In all seriousness probably good news for us as this seems to be one of those managerial changes where at the end of the season, everybody will be thinking what on earth they were thinking after they go down.

Jacqui Oatley ‏@JacquiOatley

Several weeks!! RT @solentsport: Pochettino (via interpreter): "I know about the squad as I've been researching for several weeks" #saintsfc

Lined up a while ago, just like Pardew coming here.

Pochettino is a good coach tbh, credit to Southampton for at least lining up someone who is competent unlike when we sacked Hughton.

He struggled towards the end at Espanyol mainly because they constantly sold their best players and didn't replace them but in the main he did a good job there.

I remember a time when he was linked with Real Madrid in the spanish media, so he has ability as a coach.

Still a ridiculous decision but at least they replaced him quickly with someone who in theory should do a good job.

Guest tollemache

Madness. Billy Davies springs to mind. The lesson here is that if you're an overachieving Championship manager the last thing you want to do is squirm into the Premier League. Hope Adkins gets a great job somewhere

Madness. Billy Davies springs to mind. The lesson here is that if you're an overachieving Championship manager the last thing you want to do is squirm into the Premier League. Hope Adkins gets a great job somewhere

He did well again with Nottingham though. Still rate Billy Davies, Forest were terrific when we were in the Championship.

Guest bimpy474

It would cost us £1m to replace Pardew with Adkins, is it worth it?

Very tough question tbh, I'm split.

We're losing playing shit, rather Adkins losing but playing decent football. And if we do start playing decent football we will win games.

Not split me.

Guest tollemache

Probably exactly what we'd go for. Talented, would be glad of the step up. Can we have a defence coach though please?

Guest firetotheworks

Why does money come into a hypothetical fan decision? There's no split to be had for us as fans, I'd like us to go for him. It won't happen, but still.

Guest bimpy474

Are we sure it'd only cost £1m to sack Pardew? Seems low considering the length of his contract

They will have a pay off clause. Probably 1 years salary or a set amount.

We're losing playing shit, rather Adkins losing but playing decent football. And if we do start playing decent football we will win games.

Not split me.

Is the football that much better? Is it a big enough step up to justify the change? It's a side step for me in terms of quality, just think the change is needed here which may get us going again but will the same happen with Adkins further down the line?

Are we sure it'd only cost £1m to sack Pardew? Seems low considering the length of his contract

We can sack him for a years worth of his contract.

After Fat Sam there's no doubting this clause IMO.

Guest bimpy474

Not split me.

Is the football that much better? Is it a big enough step up to justify the change? It's a side step for me in terms of quality, just think the change is needed here which may get us going again but will the same happen with Adkins further down the line?

Well when we played them they murdered us at passing and movement. Adkins is upbeat too, and not always talking his team and their chances down.

After watching a lot of Southampton, naive defending aside, they play decent attacking football. Something we have never done apart from a few occasions under Pardew.

Not split me.

Well when we played them they murdered us at passing and movement. Adkins is upbeat too, and not always talking his team and their chances down.

After watching a lot of Southampton, naive defending aside, they play decent attacking football. Something we have never done apart from a few occasions under Pardew.

Must say I like his record so far, especially at Scunthorpe, what he done there was probably as impressive as getting soton in the prem, if not more and he apparently was a physio as well. Seems educated and earned his stripes.

Guest tollemache

Why does money come into a hypothetical fan decision? There's no split to be had for us as fans, I'd like us to go for him. It won't happen, but still.

Because you'd rather your club spent its money on things other than sacking and hiring managers

Yeah he was a physio.... i will always remember the chant: Who needs Mourinho when you have the Physio?!  :laugh:

Anyway i would do it personally i have always been impressed with how his teams are set up and he comes across as a person and a coach.

Comes across as a very positive person, with a clear idea of what he wants unlike Pardew, unfortunately it will never happen.

Guest bimpy474

Not split me.

Must say I like his record so far, especially at Scunthorpe, what he done there was probably as impressive as getting soton in the prem, if not more and he apparently was a physio as well. Seems educated and earned his stripes.

Aye, when you forget he was Scunthorpe's physio when he took over, his record is excellent so far. Even in the Premiership they haven't been outclassed, above us for ffs Pardew you tit  :angry:

I like his enthusiasm and more importantly style of play, which is good to watch.

Guest tollemache

It just struck me that being able to have this discussion during a transfer window is one of the big benefits of having a recruitment division that does not include the manager of the club, as opposed to doing it the Keegan or the Freddie Shepherd way where you give this transient presence at your club control of an enormous budget.

We could have any old manager in charge and we'd still be going about looking for players in the same way, which has to be a good thing. Edit: Given the kind of player we seem to be going for anyway.

Guest bimpy474

Can Adkins sue Southampton for wrongful dismissal? Considering those quotes from Pochettino saying he's been looking at the squad for 'weeks'.

Is there anything wrongful about lining up a replacement?

Wrongful dismissal in football must be mental to try and prove.