Nigel Adkins sacked. Mauricio Pochettino appointed new Southampton manager

Fenham Mag

Guest bimpy474

It just struck me that being able to have this discussion during a transfer window is one of the big benefits of having a recruitment division that does not include the manager of the club, as opposed to doing it the Keegan or the Freddie Shepherd way where you give this transient presence at your club control of an enormous budget.

We could have any old manager in charge and we'd still be going about looking for players in the same way, which has to be a good thing.

Pardew is involved to an extent, apparently Carr gives him a list of players and Pardew and Carr then decide on which player they prefer most. Then it's down to the board to get that player.

Can see the same sort of set up with another manager. Imo a manager has to have some say, players fitting his style of play and tactics etc.

Guest tollemache

I'd put Adkins in the Owen Coyle class... phenomenal track record but yet to do it at the very top level (not necessarily through any great fault of their own). Hope they both do really well but would you really advocate entrusting them with your club when it's at realistic risk of relegation?

Guest bimpy474

People would really want Adkins? Seriously?

No and yes, personally i'd go Laudrup or Martinez but Adkins has showed his teams play good football. And so far his career has been very very good as a manager. So why not ?.

Guest tollemache

It just struck me that being able to have this discussion during a transfer window is one of the big benefits of having a recruitment division that does not include the manager of the club, as opposed to doing it the Keegan or the Freddie Shepherd way where you give this transient presence at your club control of an enormous budget.

We could have any old manager in charge and we'd still be going about looking for players in the same way, which has to be a good thing.

Pardew is involved to an extent, apparently Carr gives him a list of players and Pardew and Carr then decide on which player they prefer most. Then it's down to the board to get that player.

Can see the same sort of set up with another manager. Imo a manager has to have some say, players fitting his style of play and tactics etc.

Of course the manager is consulted, but that's a far cry from him casting his eye over the market and driving the thing himself. I like the idea that no matter who is in charge we'll keep on identifying the same general profile of player. Gives whoever we appoint less chance to do damage by signing a load of toss

I'd put Adkins in the Owen Coyle class... phenomenal track record but yet to do it at the very top level (not necessarily through any great fault of their own). Hope they both do really well but would you really advocate entrusting them with your club when it's at realistic risk of relegation?

What is phenomenal about Coyle? he did well at Burnley and then for a short period at Bolton but since then he's been rubbish.

Can Adkins sue Southampton for wrongful dismissal? Considering those quotes from Pochettino saying he's been looking at the squad for 'weeks'.

Is there anything wrongful about lining up a replacement?

I'm no legal eagle but there's something wrongful about this. By the sounds of things he was sacked weeks ago, not taking his performance into consideration.

Can Adkins sue Southampton for wrongful dismissal? Considering those quotes from Pochettino saying he's been looking at the squad for 'weeks'.

I'm no legal eagle but there's something wrongful about this. By the sounds of things he was sacked weeks ago, not taking his performance into consideration.

He will have received a pay off, what exactly would he be taking legal action for, shits and giggles?

Guest bimpy474

Of course the manager is consulted, but that's a far cry from him casting his eye over the market and driving the thing himself. I like the idea that no matter who is in charge we'll keep on identifying the same general profile of player. Gives whoever we appoint less chance to do damage by signing a load of toss

I agree with you, i'm definitely liking it how it is now, obviously signing 3 or 4 more players should have been done though.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Heh, just made a bit of a search and Catalan media were reporting the "Poche to Southampton" talks two days ago.

Bookie on SSN was saying that they suspected people knew as money was moving quickly on Poche last night.

Guest tollemache

Coyle's record before Bolton was really good.

Took over a none-too-impressive St Johnstone side and came within a goal of getting them promoted, also reaching semi finals of both Scottish cups, beating Rangers 2-0 along the way. Then won the Challenge Cup the following season (actually left for Burnley a week before the final so... not quite). Then went off to Burnley and took them up, which was just daft considering their wage bill etc... really unbelievable. Had them just about competing in the Premier League too, for a while, which was similarly unexpected.

Also, just saw this on his wiki.  Tough start:

Coyle began his senior career with Dumbarton in 1985,he then had to fight colon cancer and his wife left him for his brother and started again at Dumbarton FC

Guest tollemache

I agree with you, i'm definitely liking it how it is now, obviously signing 3 or 4 more players should have been done though.

There's still the most frenetic 12 days of the window to go!

Guest bimpy474

Coyle's record before Bolton was really good.

Took over a none-too-impressive St Johnstone side and came within a goal of getting them promoted, also reaching semi finals of both Scottish cups, beating Rangers 2-0 along the way. Then won the Challenge Cup the following season (actually left for Burnley a week before the final so... not quite). Then went off to Burnley and took them up, which was just daft considering their wage bill etc... really unbelievable. Had them just about competing in the Premier League too, for a while, which was similarly unexpected.

Also, just saw this on his wiki.  Tough start:

Coyle began his senior career with Dumbarton in 1985,he then had to fight colon cancer and his wife left him for his brother and started again at Dumbarton FC

While i wouldn't like the colon horror, i wouldn't be adverse to Mrs Bimpy running off with my brother.

:lol:  Do we do that by signing less players?

He will have received a pay off, what exactly would he be taking legal action for, shits and giggles?

More money? Just seems a bit dodgy really. If I was randomly sacked from my job I'd want to know why and if there was no reason then I'd be taking my company to court, especially if one hour later a bloke walked through the door, sat on my desk and then said he had been lined up to take my job for weeks.

More money? Just seems a bit dodgy really. If I was randomly sacked from my job I'd want to know why and if there was no reason then I'd be taking my company to court, especially if one hour later a bloke walked through the door, sat on my desk and then said he had been lined up to take my job for weeks.

The difference between him and you is that he'll have his contract paid up and he's tied to that.  You don't have the same sort of contract and are protected by employment law.

Odd move, Southampton seemed to be on the right track with a few decent results recently. Could fuck them up if the players were behind Adkins.

Yes indeed. This is probably the best news we've had this transfer window.

He had a contract and if Southampton pay off in full whatever is due under that contract he has no case.

He had a contract and if Southampton pay off in full whatever is due under that contract he has no case.

Ah wey, like I said I'm not legally screwed on. I hope they pay through relegation then.