Nigel Adkins sacked. Mauricio Pochettino appointed new Southampton manager

Fenham Mag

Showing my ignorance here but I have not heard of the new guy.  Any good?

Did a so-so job with Espanyol before getting sacked after a horrible start to this season. Had virtually no resources though.

He'd lost the dressing room though, before that he'd done brilliantly with the (s***) team he head. He plays simple but effective counterattacking football, setting his teams to be hard to beat, etc... I suppose he should fit in the PL. But it's always a risk changing horses midstream. Southampton were really improving.

You know if he even speaks English?

Wonder if the reactions to this would be similar on other club's boards if we binned Pardew. Scandalous, they finished 5th last season etc.

I think it would TBH, not many people outside of this forum are even talking about sacking Pardew.

That's complete utter bollocks.

Thanks for that measured response.

Obviously the only Newcastle fans I really mix with on a day-to-day basis are on here, my feedback is mostly from fans of other clubs.

I'd take Adkins over Pardew in a heartbeat

Grass is always greener and all that. Not saying he's not a good manager but I'd see no reason to sack Pardew in order to bring in Adkins. If we lose out next two games though (which I bitterly hope we don't) then fair enough sacking Pardew and looking at someone else.

Wonder if the reactions to this would be similar on other club's boards if we binned Pardew. Scandalous, they finished 5th last season etc.

I think it would TBH, not many people outside of this forum are even talking about sacking Pardew.

Although Adkins is widely liked as was Hughton so the surprised and sympathetic reactions are understandable whereas Pardew seems to be disliked by a lot of other fans so I think a lot would think he had it coming.

Guest neesy111

Bad decision.  Only thing I'll say is he did spend quite a bit in the summer but they've been doing well recently so no logic to it.

Although Adkins is widely liked as was Hughton so the surprised and sympathetic reactions are understandable whereas Pardew seems to be disliked by a lot of other fans so I think a lot would think he had it coming.

It's a fair point that some people dislike his personality, for sure. And the treatment of his predecessor (probably unfairly) sours peoples views towards him too.

Guest neesy111

Obviously the only Newcastle fans I really mix with on a day-to-day basis are on here, my feedback is mostly from fans of other clubs.

Sorry Ian but I'm sick of people saying that this forum is the only place that NUFC fans want Pardew sacked.  Yes it's probably higher on here but plenty want him out.

Whichever view you have on Adkins vs New Guy, it's a hell of a risk at this moment. They were improving and looked likely to stay up under Adkins. Surely better to let him keep them up and axe him at the end of the season.

A new foreign manager seems more likely to breed confusion and loss of form than bring any sort of boost.

Sorry Ian but I'm sick of people saying that this forum is the only place that NUFC fans want Pardew sacked.  Yes it's probably higher on here but plenty want him out.

Cool, as I said most of my feedback is from fans of other clubs. And the media obviously, where he has strangely escaped talk of sacking.

I'd take Adkins over Pardew in a heartbeat

Grass is always greener and all that. Not saying he's not a good manager but I'd see no reason to sack Pardew in order to bring in Adkins. If we lose out next two games though (which I bitterly hope we don't) then fair enough sacking Pardew and looking at someone else.

Given the penchant of our owners to find cheap replacements, and given the alternatives of those out there if Ashley and Dekka do decide to grow some balls and bin Pardew, Adkins would certainly top my list of potential candidates to fill the role.

I think the true position is pretty much as stated in that nufc.com article - he still has widespread support thanks to the success of last season but it really is close to running out - he needs an upturn in results, and quickly.

Always scepital when people say get him in. There will be fans on other boards thinking pardew is a great manager. How many managers come and we actually praise them? If its not the style of play then they've lost the dressing room, or they sign poorly. People always find something to moan at.

Having said that it seems Southampton play attacking football.