Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa joins AS Roma then Lyon

KaKa

We all thought Cisse and Ba would be the next Cole and Yorke when Papiss signed but didn't work out. No guarantees Colo and Mapou will complement eachother either but we can hope. Only weakness i can see would be the lack of height for set pieces but then i remember how Williamson was often weak as p*ss against smaller players anyway.

Aye, he got beat in the air by N'zogbia ffs

He had a wonderful moment against Wigan last season in the hammering. Got beat by a bloke a foot smaller than him.

We all thought Cisse and Ba would be the next Cole and Yorke when Papiss signed but didn't work out. No guarantees Colo and Mapou will complement eachother either but we can hope. Only weakness i can see would be the lack of height for set pieces but then i remember how Williamson was often weak as p*ss against smaller players anyway.

Didn't SWF beat Terry in the air a season or two ago? :lol:

:lol: Please don't mean Shaun Wright-Fillips.

CallumRob4Callum Robinson2h

Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa what a man , ask if he was starting next game , he just noded his head haha

Fair chance he didn't know what the question was like :lol:

Trying the right thread this time.

I really don't see why it matters which side a centre half plays, perhaps someone can explain it to me?

I played both sides of centre half as a junior and it made no difference.

Were you equally shit on both sides?  :lol:

Guest bimpy474

I really don't see why it matters which side a centre half plays, perhaps someone can explain it to me?

Left footed players tend to prefer the left naturally, same for the right. If you can use both feet you wouldn't care.

Colo who is right footed but can use his left very well, plays left of the centre for us. Williamson who left foot is poor plays right as this helps him. Same with Saylor who is right footed with a weaker left foot.

Not that hard to work out is it ?

He had a wonderful moment against Wigan last season in the hammering. Got beat by a bloke a foot smaller than him.

:lol: Victor Moses, yeah? Easily won, clean header from five yards out, with a six foot four defender in close contact the entire time. Both were standing still, and he was just dominated in the air. Surely, there is some technique he can learn to jump effectively.

Left footed players tend to prefer the left naturally, same for the right. If you can use both feet you wouldn't care.

Colo who is right footed but can use his left very well, plays left of the centre for us. Williamson who left foot is poor plays right as this helps him. Same with Saylor who is right footed with a weaker left foot.

It's not that simple though, is it?

John Terry has insisted on playing on the left side his entire career despite being right footed. People seem to be against the idea of us signing a left sided centre half because Colo plays on the left, even though he is more comfortable on his right foot. There'll be more examples, I'm sure.

John Terry has insisted on playing on the left side his entire career despite being right footed. People seem to be against the idea of us signing a left sided centre half because Colo plays on the left, even though he is more comfortable on his right foot. There'll be more examples, I'm sure.

I've played centre-back a fair bit and it's far more comfortable left centre-back than right centre-back.

Why though?

You still have to make tackles on either side, you still have to make passes to either side, you still have to be able to turn on either side.

Strikes me as a psychological thing.

Sakho in the Summer to play CB with MYM. Tall, French, international and possibly available.

Same agent as mapou, small wages, one year left on contract. NUFC written all over it.

Apart form the small wages part, surely he would get a fair whack at PSG no?

Why though?

You still have to make tackles on either side, you still have to make passes to either side, you still have to be able to turn on either side.

It's a lot more natural. No idea why, surely I'm not the only one who thinks that? :lol:

Guest bimpy474

But John Terry is comfortable with his left foot, just as Colo is. Your correct about it not being so simple, i know he wasn't a centre back but Maldini played LB despite being right footed, same with Dennis Irwin. The one thing in common about them all, was they were all comfortable with both feet. The only way you knew what the favoured foot was, when they took a dead ball.

Obviously some players will prefer the opposite to what you think would be right, but in most cases a left footed centre half would play left. Tbh it's a rather mute point as there aren't that mean lefty's compared to right footers.

I say this as a left footed centre half myself, i had no problem playing either side as i was comfortable with my right foot but usually lined up left side.

Guest bimpy474

Why though?

When a ball come in from your left (the attacker teams right flank), if you're left footed, you would meet that ball in a more comfortable manner, same for the right side. But as we've discussed it's doesn't matter if you're comfortable using your supposed weaker foot.

But John Terry is comfortable with his left foot, just as Colo is. Your correct about it not being so simple, i know he wasn't a centre back but Maldini played LB despite being right footed, same with Dennis Irwin. The one thing in common about them all, was they were all comfortable with both feet. The only way you knew what the favoured foot was, when they took a dead ball.

Obviously some players will prefer the opposite to what you think would be right, but in most cases a left footed centre half would play left. Tbh it's a rather mute point as there aren't that mean lefty's compared to right footers.

I say this as a left footed centre half myself, i had no problem playing either side as i was comfortable with my right foot but usually lined up left side.

Mike Williamson played on the left for Watford.  Him wearing number 6 is no coincidence, he always played as the left sided centre back prior to NUFC.  Obviously in the lower leagues he stood out as a very good player, a poor man's John Terry if you will.