Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa joins AS Roma then Lyon

KaKa

Guest icemanblue

It tends to, yes.

How's that? Surely, if you have a player who is better in the air than your defenders, then it makes sense for him to mark the opposition's biggest aerial threat. We used to do it with Carroll.

I never said it didn't make sense given our personnel. I said it hurts us that our defenders don't defend set pieces. They should be taking responsibility for them and they can't/don't which is going to cause us problems given that the rest of the team aren't anything approaching effective in the air.

Aye, that's fair enough. To be honest, we really lack an aerial threat accross the park. Sissoko should be decent, but really, really isn't.

Regardless, set pieces, on both sides of the ball, remain a primary weakness. We need to figure something out because our system clearly isn't working.

Right.

As has been said, as good as they are in certain circumstances there's no real long-term future in a Colo-MYM partnership.

It tends to, yes.

How's that? Surely, if you have a player who is better in the air than your defenders, then it makes sense for him to mark the opposition's biggest aerial threat. We used to do it with Carroll.

I never said it didn't make sense given our personnel. I said it hurts us that our defenders don't defend set pieces. They should be taking responsibility for them and they can't/don't which is going to cause us problems given that the rest of the team aren't anything approaching effective in the air.

Aye, that's fair enough. To be honest, we really lack an aerial threat accross the park. Sissoko should be decent, but really, really isn't.

He's a young lad who's probably never been tasked with significant aerial duties.

Regardless, set pieces, on both sides of the ball, remain a primary weakness. We need to figure something out because our system clearly isn't working.

Right.

As has been said, as good as they are in certain circumstances there's no real long-term future in a Colo-MYM partnership.

Not sure that follows. As we've established, you could (for example) address the set piece problem by signing a midfielder or striker that would provide more aerial prowess.

As long as Colo stays, that's the partnership and we would be silly to change it.

Guest icemanblue

It tends to, yes.

He's a young lad who's probably never been tasked with significant aerial duties.

That may be, but he's still got a touch of the Williamson about his aerial prowess. Putty head.

He's going to be around for at least another season and probably more than that. If there is a problem defending set pieces we'll need  to come up with solutions earlier than that.

Any ideas?

Drilling the markers to stick closer to the attacker would be the best way to go. Like I said earlier, you don't have to win the header always, but if you can make enough of a challenge to put the striker off that's half the battle.

Right.

:facepalm:

While disagree with Ron, i wouldn't think games against Fulham, Wham and Villa are the time to judge them just yet.

I wouldn't split them up yet, don't get me wrong. But anyone who thinks CB is sorted in the long-term is deluded and not very bright. I'm totally shocked as to the usually brilliant posters taking this view.

One's a replacement for the other, who's nearly 32. And as we've discussed at a pointless length they have the same costly weakness. Of course there's no long-term future in it.

Might as well say there's no long term future in the team because one guy with curly hair is nearly 32.

Quit your waffling man.

While disagree with Ron, i wouldn't think games against Fulham, Wham and Villa are the time to judge them just yet.

I wouldn't split them up yet, don't get me wrong. But anyone who thinks CB is sorted in the long-term is deluded and not very bright. I'm totally shocked as to the usually brilliant posters taking this view.

I thought it was obvious to everyone that given Colo's age, we will need another CB soon enough. Obviously it would be nice to get a CB who complements MYM's weaknesses. It also seems fairly obvious that our in form CBs are Colo and MYM so stick with them for now.

Surely this is not revelatory enough to need a page of posts over?

It's to early to say if they're gonna succeed or fail imo.

In what sense? They'll probably do well this season against the majority of sides if selected. Ultimately there's no long-term in it.

You're right, Colo wont play another 12 years.

I thought it was obvious to everyone that given Colo's age, we will need another CB soon enough. Obviously it would be nice to get a CB who complements MYM's weaknesses. It also seems fairly obvious that our in form CBs are Colo and MYM so stick with them for now.

Surely this is not revelatory enough to need a page of posts over?

I don't get it either, man. As usual there's a few jobless little scrotes mucking around who fancy making an argument out of a basic truth that clashes with their footballing wet dream.

Disagree. Ideally you'd want a full season for Mapou to learn from Colo but beyond that we need a Douglas type in there. Something we can really rely on against all forms of attack.

But what would the plan be then? Drop Colo even if he's playing well... or drop Mapou until Colo falls away?

I just think in the situation we're in with the personnel in question, the best answer is just to play them both for as long as they're doing a good job.