Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa joins AS Roma then Lyon

KaKa

We have no width from any of our attacking players they all come in field.

I'm not sure having our fullbacks sit back and defend is a good idea it will just make us easier to play against.

We need Pardew to actually do what he claims to be good at and coach the team into playing as a unit and pressing cohesively.

I've said it over and over we have no defensive structure our players haven't been instructed how to defend properly.

We don't press, we don't get tight we aren't compact & we live oceans of space between our lines. As long as we defend in this nondescript way we will be punished.

I agree we don't press cohesively.

Away from home to be compact, we need our fullbacks closer to our centrebacks.

We actually closed down then though..... being compact is nice but we are neither at this point.

When we finished 5th we had both, we closed down the opposition as a team and we were compact. I'm starting to wonder if that was Hughton's doing.

MYM suffered from serious indecision. That's terrible in any position but at CB it's fatal. A lot of his indecision though was down to having no faith in Colo to do his bit. So MYM didn't know whether to stick or twist half the time.

Hope he learns from this and just does what he ought to do and if his partner f**ks up then he can see if the manager has the balls to haul him off instead.

Is the bit in bold you mind reading or has he told you that?

The reaction to Coloccini by some on here has been nothing less than pathetic, even if he was to blame for the goals, which I'm not saying that he was.

Coloccini is not beyond criticism after last night but the reaction has been way over the top.  He's the best defender at the club and has been for years.  Not a single defender has performed to as high a standard for years and he's possibly the best central defender we've had in my lifetime.

I'll see the goals again and might change my mind about who was to blame but after watching the game last night only, he was at worst our 2nd best defender.

We actually closed down then though..... being compact is nice but we are neither at this point.

When we finished 5th we had both, we closed down the opposition as a team and we were compact. I'm starting to wonder if that was Hughton's doing.

Can't say we've ever been great at closing down under Pardew. When we defended well we defended deep, compact and largely focused on retaining shape - 2 banks of four. It's very difficult tmaintain 2 banks of 4 if you're closing down all over the gaff.

Our closing down was better then than now obviously. We played like he cared then. There's simply no desire. As useless as Ryan Taylor was at LB, he wouldn't give up.

Coloccini is not beyond criticism after last night but the reaction has been way over the top.  He's the best defender at the club and has been for years.  Not a single defender has performed to as high a standard for years and he's possibly the best central defender we've had in my lifetime.

All true. I wish it changed the fact that he's showing signs of not being able to compete in the PL but it doesn't.

All true. I wish it changed the fact that he's showing signs of not being able to compete in the PL but it doesn't.

We were an abortion last night and I don't think I've seen us that open for a long while.  The first 45 minutes was one of the worst performances I've seen from us and that is down to most of the starting 11 and the prick who made so many changes to bring 2 players in.

The problem wasn't even down to the central defenders, they were just made to look shite.  Our play was suicidal for most of the first half when we had both right and left back charging up field at the same time. The midfield offered no protection at all and we had two central defenders who wouldn't have known what to do because they had so many choices and possible gaps to try and fill.

We were an abortion last night and I don't think I've seen us that open for a long while.  The first 45 minutes was one of the worst performances I've seen from us and that is down to most of the starting 11 and the prick who made so many changes to bring 2 players in.

The problem wasn't even down to the central defenders, they were just made to look s****.  Our play was suicidal for most of the first half when we had both right and left back charging up field at the same time. The midfield offered no protection at all and we had two central defenders who wouldn't have known what to do because they had so many choices and possible gaps to try and fill.

:thup:

It's not all true. He wasn't great in his first season, and last season was no less than pathetic, with him essentially trying to jump ship for nowt leaving the club in the lurch when its Premiership status was on the line, and this from our captain no less. He's had three very good seasons, one of which was in the Championship, but he's also always had very clearly defineable weaknesses, that the type of striker that Lukaku is exposes time and time again. He's probably been our best defender since I started following NUFC, but that's not really saying much sadly. He's most certainly not above criticism, as even Mick seems to agree, so I don't understand why it bugs him so much when he is justifyingly criticised for a(nother) poor performance.

If the CBs did their job properly we'd have conceded 0 goals in that first half. We're such an easy f***ing mark.

We should be playing as a team and we didn't, it's 11 v 11, not 11 v2.

If the CBs did their job properly we'd have conceded 0 goals in that first half. We're such an easy f***ing mark.

We should be playing as a team and we didn't, it's 11 v 11, not 11 v2.

our defenders could start by learning the basics of defending the kind of thing they should already know and not shit their pants at the sight of Lukaku and it would have been a decent start.

our defenders could start by learning the basics of defending the kind of thing they should already know and not s*** their pants at the sight of Lukaku and it would have been a decent start.

They know the basics.  :lol:

our defenders could start by learning the basics of defending the kind of thing they should already know and not s*** their pants at the sight of Lukaku and it would have been a decent start.

They know the basics.  :lol:

could have fooled me on their first half performance

We can talk until the cows come home about organisation, Pardew, pressing, defending as a team, etc, but it doesn't detract from the fact that the primary reason the contest was over before it had even begun was individual mistakes by four of our back five.

We can talk until the cows come home about organisation, Pardew, pressing, defending as a team, etc, but it doesn't detract from the fact that the primary reason the contest was over before it had eveb begun was individual mistakes by four of our back five.

Which happen week in and week out...

We can talk until the cows come home about organisation, Pardew, pressing, defending as a team, etc, but it doesn't detract from the fact that the primary reason the contest was over before it had eveb begun was individual mistakes by four of our back five.

I don't disagree that our defence made mistakes, they clearly did.

No they don't.

No they don't.

a lot of the goals we concede appear to be down to this,

How many times have people slagged off various players already? Debuchy, Santon, Colo and & Mbiwa last night.

We must have some of the most error prone defenders in the league.

Something to this:

If players prior to their time joining us were committing LESS errors whether they played in league, European cups, international play...yet they come here and look like absolute messes...

No they don't.

How many times have people slagged off various players already? Debuchy, Santon, Colo and & Mbiwa last night.

most of the time its the full backs causing the problem since they seem only vaguely aware of the concept of defending (Debuchy is the most consistently guilty of this wandering way out of position and into central midfield at times). Colo and Mbwia aren't bad defenders individually but as a pairing last night we saw they just don't work it needs to be one or the other beside Taylor or Williamson.

It makes you wonder how those "error prone" defenders have all been capped at various levels.

No they don't.

most of the time its the full backs causing the problem since they seem only vaguely aware of the concept of defending (Debuchy is the most consistently guilty of this wandering way out of position and into central midfield at times). Colo and Mbwia aren't bad defenders individually but as a pairing last night we saw they just don't work it needs to be one or the other beside Taylor or Williamson.

Like it was against Liverpool?