Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa joins AS Roma then Lyon

KaKa

When he was at Lille? Dunno

:lol: Alright, fair play. Point still stands though - I accept that Cabaye's best form came in the first half of last season, but he was still a big reason behind our fifth placed finish in 2012.

And also Lille winning the double the year before for the first time in decades (possibly ever).

So why wasn't anyone else in for him then? Hazard and Gervinho left for big money; Cabaye was available for only a few million and yet we, as far as I can tell, were the only club to table an offer. As you say, as captain of the French champions, Cabaye should have had little to prove - particularly with regard to the national team - but it was only with us that he became a regular fixture in the French side. I'm sorry like, but I don't think you explain that sort of change solely through a raised profile.

Guest palnese

Cabaye was good when he came and fucking brilliant when he left. Had a poor spell in the middle, mind.

:lol: Alright, fair play. Point still stands though - I accept that Cabaye's best form came in the first half of last season, but he was still a big reason behind our fifth placed finish in 2012.

And also Lille winning the double the year before for the first time in decades (possibly ever).

So why wasn't anyone else in for him then? Hazard and Gervinho left for big money; Cabaye was available for only a few million and yet we, as far as I can tell, were the only club to table an offer. As you say, as captain of the French champions, Cabaye should have had little to prove - particularly with regard to the national team - but it was only with us that he became a regular fixture in the French side. I'm sorry like, but I don't think you explain that sort of change solely through a raised profile.

I didn't see Cabaye consistently improve at all in his time here. Only in his last 6 months did he look like a player who'd go for £20million. Before that he bounced between being completely anonymous to a match winner.

Even if he was a major part of us finishing 5th he wasn't anywhere near that level the year after, which doesn't indicate improvement. I expect we'll see the real Cabaye this season now that he's not working for a window cleaner.

if he was so good then why where only Villa after him? He'll admit he improved under us. 

if he was so good then why where only Villa after him? He'll admit he improved under us. 

Good to know :lol:

I didn't see Cabaye consistently improve at all in his time here. Only in his last 6 months did he look like a player who'd go for £20million. Before that he bounced between being completely anonymous to a match winner.

Even if he was a major part of us finishing 5th he wasn't anywhere near that level the year after, which doesn't indicate improvement. I expect we'll see the real Cabaye this season now that he's not working for a window cleaner.

Fine, but Wenger was still willing to pay £10 million or so for Cabaye last summer on the back of what was, as you say, a relatively poor season by his standards. How else had Cabaye gone from being a fringe player for France coveted only by likes of us and Villa to a regular international and the subject of a bid from a team in the Champions League in that time if he hadn't improved somewhat as a footballer?

I agree that Cabaye wasn't a patch on the previous year in 2012/13, but one bad season doesn't necessarily write off the gains made in a good year. There's also other factors to consider - our pathetic recruitment drive (or lack thereof) in the summer, selling and failing to replace Ba, etc. If Sturridge scores less goals for Liverpool this season, is it fair to say that he's indefinitely regressed as a player because he's not consistently improving?

Cabaye came here as a potential / fringe national team player. He left here being one of the first names on the team sheet for France, which he earned whilst during his time here. He probably gained more exposure here thanks to that 5th season and he clearly matured as player and all that. His form before he left was outstanding, and sure he may have been playing for the move but he's a brilliant footballer. I won't give that credit to Alan Pardew though.

There were a bunch of clubs reported to be interested a while before we signed him.

Lille midfielder Yohan Cabaye hopes to secure a January move to Arsenal.

The French club's boss Rudi Garcia is prepared to sell the 23-year-old in January after reported interest from the Gunners, Tottenham, Chelsea, Lyon, Valencia and Lazio.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1215551/Tottenham-target-Yohan-Cabaye-issues-come-plea-Arsenal-Lille-midfielder-sets-sights-move.html#ixzz38y0HdyiC

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Cabaye came here as a potential / fringe national team player. He left here being one of the first names on the team sheet for France, which he earned whilst during his time here. He probably gained more exposure here thanks to that 5th season and he clearly matured as player and all that. His form before he left was outstanding, and sure he may have been playing for the move but he's a brilliant footballer. I won't give that credit to Alan Pardew though.

:thup:

Fine, but Wenger was still willing to pay £10 million or so for Cabaye last summer on the back of what was, as you say, a relatively poor season by his standards. How else had Cabaye gone from being a fringe player for France coveted only by likes of us and Villa to a regular international and the subject of a bid from a team in the Champions League in that time if he hadn't improved somewhat as a footballer?

I agree that Cabaye wasn't a patch on the previous year in 2012/13, but one bad season doesn't necessarily write off the gains made in a good year. There's also other factors to consider - our pathetic recruitment drive (or lack thereof) in the summer, selling and failing to replace Ba, etc. If Sturridge scores less goals for Liverpool this season, is it fair to say that he's indefinitely regressed as a player because he's not consistently improving?

He was always a good footballer. He proved that in France 2 years before he joined us with his best ever goal and assist numbers then won the league and cup the year after in what was something of a miracle. His actual talent has never been in doubt.

He was blatantly better in his last 6 months than he had been in the 2 years previous. Nobody can deny that. Was that down to Pardew or gradual improvement over time? Or because he was promised a transfer 6 months previously and started playing for it?

Right - good point regarding Cabaye - recall Spurs were heavily interested in him after the 5th season and that we may have blocked or promised a better picture/move for him later on?

He was always a good footballer. He proved that in France 2 years before he joined us with his best ever goal and assist numbers then won the league and cup the year after in what was something of a miracle. His actual talent has never been in doubt.

He was blatantly better in his last 6 months than he had been in the 2 years previous. Nobody can deny that. Was that down to Pardew or gradual improvement over time? Or because he was promised a transfer 6 months previously and started playing for it?

Combo of "I need to get the fuck out of here" & "Gradual Improvement" for me. None of that was down to Pardew. The only ounce I'll give Pardew, is that his team was designed/relied on Cabaye getting the ball all the time and doing some magic with it - via Long ball, Diagonal, etc. He never truly knew how to get the best out of him either.

Yohan's best form came in his last 6 months. He improved.

Likewise with Ba & Debuchy. Noboy wanted to spend £6m on Debuchy before except us and we should him for double - he improved.

I dislike Pardew as much as the next but he's been okay at improving the value of a few lads.

Or maybe it has to do with them proving themselves and getting more exposure in a better league? After all I don't think Cabaye improved massively during his time here and Debuchy was a part of the French national team in the 2012 EURO's. I'm not sure he improved a lot either, he seemed to adapt more to the league, but not necessarily improve as a footballer.

Most of our signings have decent pedigree. If they shine they are just proving themselves.  If they don't - they've been Pardewed.  There's a middle ground.

Claiming that Pardew could improve a player when he doesn't even know where to play the ones he's got isn't the middle ground, it's delusion.

It's not the manager's job to get the best out of Player A or Player Z, it's his job to get the best out of the collective. Building a team that depends so entirely on one or two individuals to the point where the team is getting absolutely humiliated every time they're absent is not a plus point, no matter how well that particular individual performs. Any manager could get a particular good player to perform if that's all they were trying to do - unless that player is Messi, it's not a realistic way to run a successful football team.

Similar to Cabaye, one striker at any time has typically performed well under Pardew, that's because he puts all his eggs in their basket to the ultimate detriment of the team, hence why it's so fucking boring because he's that terrified of conceding, as he knows perfectly well that the chance of the midfield or defence getting into the box and contributing doesn't exist.

Personally I think that the suggestion that Cabaye improved is quite amusing given how much of a slagging he was getting in 12-13, when the general consensus amongst many was "look at this shit poor Pards has been bought, not as good as our deluded fans think" when the truth was that it was fucking obvious that Cabaye was a superb footballer within a few games of him putting a black and white shirt on.

The players who did well under Pardew are Raylor, Best and Perch. Not surprising since they are the sort of lower division cloggers that Pardew understands best. Even then I'd fancy someone like Nigel pearson to use them better. Anyone who is peddling the line that Pardew improved a player is a closet Pardew sympathiser IMO.

FFS.

I promised myself I wouldn't discuss Pardew this season, other than to call him a cunt and leave it at that.

I don't think there's much mileage in it anymore, everyone is essentially on the same side. Albeit to different degrees.

So why, despite his doubtless talent, did he end up here then?

Like Kanji, I'd probably put Cabaye's form last season down to a combination of plying for a move away and something of a culmination of his personal progression as a player. I don't think it was down to Pardew - you only need to look at Santon, Yanga-Mbiwa, Ben Arfa and Cisse for evidence that players have a general tendency to stagnate or decline when under his management. In spite of this though, I think it's impossible to deny that Cabaye improved in his spell here, particularly when you consider the rise in his transfer value and his increasingly prominent role in the French team.

A good player just short of his peak years is always going to improve if they play regularly against better opposition and train with better team mates.

We have had countless of good individuals under bad managers in the past.

However a really great manager can make a very good player magical and a mediocre player very good. For example Bobby Robson managing Robert, Dabizas, Dyer.