Official: Yoan Gouffran signs new contract with Goztepe

Tooj

By all accounts Remy is the much more talented player though - time will tell whether this guy whose on form and much cheaper (wages + fee) is the better option.

Says who? He's scored more than Remy both this season and last season. I think the price tag is making people ignore this guys record for some reason, he's quite clearly a good player by any account.

Most of the French journalists have said he's pretty average and that Ligue 1 is likely his level, whereas Remy is a full international and regarded as a talented player who's fallen out of form this season. Stats don't tell the whole story.

I'm not saying he can't be a useful signing, he almost certainly will be especially with our lack of pace/options upfront.

By all accounts Remy is the much more talented player though - time will tell whether this guy whose on form and much cheaper (wages + fee) is the better option.

Says who? He's scored more than Remy both this season and last season. I think the price tag is making people ignore this guys record for some reason, he's quite clearly a good player by any account.

Most of the French journalists have said he's pretty average and that Ligue 1 is likely his level, whereas Remy is a full international and regarded as a talented player who's fallen out of form this season. Stats don't tell the whole story.

I'm not saying he can't be a useful signing, he almost certainly will be especially with our lack of pace/options upfront.

A record is much more important than an opinion of a journalist. I'm not buying this talk but I guess we'll see against Villa

Remy scored 20 goals last season..... i'm pretty certain Gouffran didn't score more than that tbh....

Remy is comfortably a better footballer than Gouffran, because he's struggled with injuries since end of last season doesn't change that.

We shouldn't be comparing Gouffran to Remy tbh, Gouffran is a decent player and should do well but he's nowhere near Remy and he never will be.

Remy scored 20 goals last season..... i'm pretty certain Gouffran didn't score more than that tbh....

Remy is comfortably a better footballer than Gouffran, because he's struggled with injuries since end of last season doesn't change that.

We shouldn't be comparing Gouffran to Remy tbh, Gouffran is a decent player and should do well but he's nowhere near Remy and he never will be.

He scored less in the league which is the only thing that counts, cup goals aren't a sign of consistency. Gouffran scored more the league and that's all that matters. I don't see why everybody is ignoring the states, Gouffran quite clearly has a record on par with Remy.

Always nice to see fans downplaying new players ability and potential even before he has kicked a ball for us.

A record is much more important than an opinion of a journalist. I'm not buying this talk but I guess we'll see against Villa

Is it? The journalists/fans that watch French football will know how good/talented a player is beyond their goalscoring record in Ligue 1, which really doesn't tell the whole story. Anthony Modeste has outscored him in Ligue 1 this season, remember him? Aliadiere has scored just 1 fewer.

Goalscoring records tell you little in reality, especially when you're assessing a player's ability to transfer from a European league to a completely different one. Actual ability level is the ultimate factor and that has so many more faccets to it than a statistic - first touch, skill, pace, power, awareness, creativity, adaptibility, teamplay etc.

Like I've said, I'm happy with the signing because of the price and the fact he's not Shola Ameobi - but he's a budget gamble on a form player rather than a pricey gamble on a more talented player out of form.

Always nice to see fans downplaying new players ability and potential even before he has kicked a ball for us.

Come on man, i hope he does well like anyone else but these comparisons are ridiculous....

Well yeah, it's a much preferable option to hyping them up to ridiculous levels.

Is it? The journalists/fans that watch French football will know how good/talented a player is beyond their goalscoring record in Ligue 1, which really doesn't tell the whole story. Anthony Modeste has outscored him in Ligue 1 this season, remember him? Aliadiere has scored just 1 fewer.

Goalscoring records tell you little in reality, especially when you're assessing a player's ability to transfer from a European league to a completely different one. Actual ability level is the ultimate factor and that has so many more faccets to it than a statistic - first touch, skill, pace, power, awareness, creativity, adaptibility, teamplay etc.

Like I've said, I'm happy with the signing because of the price and the fact he's not Shola Ameobi - but he's a budget gamble on a form player rather than a pricey gamble on a more talented player out of form.

Again I disagree with you because this whole talented malarky is coming from journalists. Unless French journalists and significantly better than British ones that I'll take their opinions with a grain of salt. We'll just have to see I guess.

Look, fact is goalscoring statistics tell you very little. That's why scouts exist.

I wasn't aware you were in touch with Graham Carr? I mean who are these scouts you've heard from or spoken to?

Eh? What are you talking about?

You stated that scouts tell you more than stats and that you somehow know that Gouffran is not as good as Remy. Your statement made it seem as if you had some kind of knowledge of scouts who know Remy is the better player.

Not seen much of Gouffran, but i do follow the french league when time allows, watching some games but mostly reading on the internet. Without a doubt that Remy is the better player and has more talent, or at least was the better player until very recently cause of injuries and perhaps a lack of motivation after a massive loss of form. Can he return to his best? Possibly, but you never know. Highly rated.

Not seen much of Gouffran, but i do follow the french league when time allows, watching some games but mostly reading on the internet. Without a doubt that Remy is the better player and has more talent, or at least was the better player until very recently cause of injuries and perhaps a lack of motivation after a massive loss of form. Can he return to his best? Possibly, but you never know. Highly rated.

Think thats the thing, Remy may have more talent but if Gouffran has the better attitude and greater motivation he may end up being the better player in this league

Gouffran's the player we need for the position we're in, we have enough flashy players, we need some more effective ones. Remy's a better overall player in my opinion, it's just that he has that added ability on the ball but he's not particularly more effective for goals, and he's a lot more work shy. Gouffran will be full of running, both forward and back, and he'll be a nuisance in and around the box. With the creativity we have in the team, we need someone else with the instinct to put the ball in the back of the net and to make space for other players.

he will be eager and top motivated to play and could give us a lift. Back up long term probably.

If cisse gets injured we are really f*cked. A quality striker is still needed.

Feel a bit spoiled to say that after the last days recruitment....but we still lack options left wide and up front.

Probably Giggs, but going off the NUFCTV interview, Cabaye's tapped up another one :lol: Gouffran's words were 'Cabaye had been telling me how great it was to play for Newcastle, for quite a while'.

The fuck would we do without Yo Cabs man? :lol:

Edit: I'm pretty sure he's been tapping up Moussa as well.